Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #40,276 of 46,499
Okay, my HD6XX has about 140 hours on them since I left them playing for 16-20 hours for the past week and there is still a difference between them, funny part is I like the HD6XX better since it has a touch better dynamics, cleaner tighter bass and highs that have a touch more sparkle and to confirm what I was hearing I asked my GF and two of her friends to also give both a listen and describe what they heard and all 3 liked the HD6XX better due to the slightly better dynamics and sparkle in the highs since they all said it was more enjoyable to them. Now I'm thinking I might mod the HD650 and keep the HD6XX stock

I have the older version of HD6XX and my friend has the new version. I also found that the newer version has more sparkle and tighter bass. I am really curious to compare both FR

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #40,277 of 46,499
Okay, my HD6XX has about 140 hours on them since I left them playing for 16-20 hours for the past week and there is still a difference between them, funny part is I like the HD6XX better since it has a touch better dynamics, cleaner tighter bass and highs that have a touch more sparkle and to confirm what I was hearing I asked my GF and two of her friends to also give both a listen and describe what they heard and all 3 liked the HD6XX better due to the slightly better dynamics and sparkle in the highs since they all said it was more enjoyable to them. Now I'm thinking I might mod the HD650 and keep the HD6XX stock

I completely agree with your findings. I posted my findings on the HD6XX thread. I also commented on the sound after I did an ear pad swap between the HD6XX and my HD650's.

Interestingly the differences I'm hearing between my old HD650 and this latest Massdrop offering of the HD6XX sounds very similar to the differences people are describing between the HD650 and the HD660S.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #40,278 of 46,499
My wife and I are heading to NY city next week for 5 nights. I was wondering if anyone knows or could recommend any good headphone stores in Manhattan where I could do a comparative listening session between the HD650 and HD660S? Also, see if I can find less expensive stock HD650 ear pads while I'm there.

I ordered a Schiit Loki and another Modi Multibit and having it delivered to our hotel. That way I can bring them back duty/tax free.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #40,279 of 46,499
My wife and I are heading to NY city next week for 5 nights. I was wondering if anyone knows or could recommend any good headphone stores in Manhattan where I could do a comparative listening session between the HD650 and HD660S? Also, see if I can find less expensive stock HD650 ear pads while I'm there.

I ordered a Schiit Loki and another Modi Multibit and having it delivered to our hotel. That way I can bring them back duty/tax free.

BH Photo definitely. Great store with a lot of nice headphones on display. Maybe ten minutes walk from Madison Square Garden.

I've only visited NYC as a tourist myself so I'm sure others will have more suggestions but BH is on my must visit list every time I go there.

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #40,280 of 46,499

Maybe try Audio46. I haven’t been but I’ve ordered stuff from them, happily.
Audio46 Headphones
29 W 46th St, New York, NY 10036

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #40,281 of 46,499
Hi guys, so I ended up cancelling my Sennheisers... I just didn't feel I wanted it any more with the amount of headphones I currently have.

Now I am curious, hopefully you guys could help me, is there a point in having a Magni 3 Amp? Should I return it, or is there a use for it for using just regular old headphones, or these Sony WH1000XM2 headphones I have?

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #40,282 of 46,499
Greetings! I've read a lot of this thread, not that I can remember everything, but WOW!

I received my HD6xx's yesterday and out of the box they were pretty decent I thought. 24 hours later (left the iPod classic on em overnight) and they are sounding pretty nice to me. I've had my buddy's HD600's for the past 6 months which were are revelation over the Koss ProDJ's. I really like open back headphones now.

From what I've read online, it seems like 150 hours is what I should expect for a burn in period to get them to their best state, right?
I've read a lot of complaints about the tightness of them on your head - I must have a small head as they are just about right for me.

DavidA: could you offer any advice about the optimal settings on the Ember II for the 6xx's?

Once I get past the burn in phase, I'm going to be so temped to get the Garage 1217 Kameleon to wring the bass out.

Thank you all for your passion and sharing for these headphones - I've learned a tremendously from you all.

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #40,283 of 46,499
@timjclark, I don't think the HD6XX will change much due burn-in since I did compare them from 0 hours to 150+ hours against my HD650 and if there was a change it was pretty much unnoticeable to me, my GF and her friends since our first listen and after 150+ hours were pretty much the same between the 2 headphones.

As for settings on the Ember I usually use the middle output resistance setting (35ohms) since it gives the best balance of bass definition/details, mids being smooth with no additional treble roll off and my favorite tube for the HD650 is a Telefunken 12AU7, a clean, clear dynamic sounding tube. FWIW I don't usually use the Ember with the HD650/6XX much since the BH Crack to me sounds just a bit more lifelike and is more engaging to me. The differences are not huge but they are noticeable enough that most will hear the difference with a little A/B between the two but it would be difficult to notice if you heard them a day or two apart.

I've yet to hear a Kameleon so if you do get one I'd be interested in your impressions of it.

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #40,284 of 46,499
In my experience, ordering pads through Sennheiser Canada is the cheapest/best way. They ship from QC, and I’m pretty sure there is no shipping cost. Maybe you’ll find them in the states though... I’d go with official Sennheiser pads, unless you want to change the sound of your 650’s.

Have you considered trying Modi via the EITR?

Have fun on your trip.

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #40,285 of 46,499
In my experience, ordering pads through Sennheiser Canada is the cheapest/best way. They ship from QC, and I’m pretty sure there is no shipping cost. Maybe you’ll find them in the states though... I’d go with official Sennheiser pads, unless you want to change the sound of your 650’s.

Have you considered trying Modi via the EITR?

Have fun on your trip.

Thanks!!

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #40,286 of 46,499
Has anyone tried to measure the impedance of the HD6XX? I noticed that the HD6XX is a bit more efficient (2-3dB) than my old HD650 and it actually sounds decent with a old 4th gen iPod touch or Fiio X1. It could be that a slight difference in the impedance of the HD6XX is making it sound a touch brighter, slightly more detailed bass and better dynamics.

Ruled out the cables since I swapped the cables around just to check.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #40,287 of 46,499
Dec 10, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #40,290 of 46,499
comparing the two graphs it looks like the HD6XX has a lower impedance in the lower frequency area but slightly higher in the mid/high frequency area which make some sense as to what I'm hearing from both headphones.
@cskippy and @jimmers thanks for the links for the graphs, FWIW I will be listening to a HD660S some time next week since a friend got his earlier this week.

@cskippy, did you have too many glasses of this?
20160126_013028.jpg
just kidding, hope everyone is having a great weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back