Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #40,111 of 46,499
IMO it's really, REALLY hard to top the Crack+Speedball with the HD 650, particularly at the price point. My 650 sounds great with the HA-1 as well, but that euphoric tube sound that I get with the Bottlehead is seductive and hard to let go of. However, good luck finding a HA-1. Your only option is to purchase used, if you can fid one, or a very expensive new unit from an eBay seller, typically in Japan. I have no experience with the Woo.

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #40,112 of 46,499
IMO it's really, REALLY hard to top the Crack+Speedball with the HD 650, particularly at the price point. My 650 sounds great with the HA-1 as well, but that euphoric tube sound that I get with the Bottlehead is seductive and hard to let go of. However, good luck finding a HA-1. Your only option is to purchase used, if you can fid one, or a very expensive new unit from an eBay seller, typically in Japan. I have no experience with the Woo.

So, you're saying that I should just look to upgrade the cans along with the amp?

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #40,113 of 46,499
So, you're saying that I should just look to upgrade the cans along with the amp?

Ha! That's the Head-fi spirit! :) I wasn't suggesting, just voicing an opinion about the choices you put out there. Given the great synergy between the 650 and the Crack, and the relatively small investment in each piece, keeping both and getting a SS amp to compliment the Bottlehead might be worth considering IMO. That way you'd still have that sweet combo but would be adding the versatility of solid state amplification should you decide to branch out and get another set of cans. It all depends on your goals and finances.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #40,114 of 46,499
Ha! That's the Head-fi spirit! :) I wasn't suggesting, just voicing an opinion about the choices you put out there. Given the great synergy between the 650 and the Crack, and the relatively small investment in each piece, keeping both and getting a SS amp to compliment the Bottlehead might be worth considering IMO. That way you'd still have that sweet combo but would be adding the versatility of solid state amplification should you decide to branch out and get another set of cans. It all depends on your goals and finances.

TBH I am just trying to figure out what would be the next logical upgrade for an overall better sound. Lol, and I didn't mean to say you were suggesting anything, that kind of came out differently than what I thought.

I guess it's hard to get that HD650+BH Crack sound pairing the HD650 with other amps then. I keep getting back to that.

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #40,116 of 46,499
MY aficionado arrived yesterday. Fantastic with the 650's
IMG_7878.JPG

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #40,117 of 46,499
TBH I am just trying to figure out what would be the next logical upgrade for an overall better sound. Lol, and I didn't mean to say you were suggesting anything, that kind of came out differently than what I thought.

I guess it's hard to get that HD650+BH Crack sound pairing the HD650 with other amps then. I keep getting back to that.
speakers? some convincing speaker simulation on headphones? a good EQ? finding the headphone you really like(means you have to try)? purchasing a few albums from a band you love? going to some place with a relaxing and amazing view? enjoying life more? a massaging chair? a fanless computer? double layer windows? ^_^ plenty of things to do.

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #40,118 of 46,499
Hey guys, looking for some amp advice from veteran 650 owners. If not right thread, please let me know.

Currently I am running a Schiit Bifrost to Bottlehead Crack Speedball setup. I've been enjoying this for some time now, but I think it might be time to upgrade due to the Crack limiting my headphone choices... Reason is I have some orthos on the way which I won't be able to drive with the BH Crack.

So, I have thought about a few options. I am looking for a good all rounder that can drive IEMs to High Impedance phones. I've thought about getting an Oppo HA-1 or a Woo Audio WA7 that have integrated DACs, but that would also mean getting rid of my Schiit Bifrost. My other thinking would be to just upgrade the amp part of my chain with similar budget and upgrade my DAC some other time.. Thinking maybe a Mjolnir 2?

What would be the best option sound wise? Going for an integrated DAC/AMP combo or upgrading to dedicated amp for now? What other dedicated amps should I be considering? I am looking to not only be able to drive a wider range of phones but also improve the sound on the HD650.

Any input appreciated.
Can you just add a second amp? Split the signal from the Bifrost using a splitter like this: https://www.parts-express.com/gold-rca-y-(1)-male-to-(2)-right-angle-female-red--091-510
I would suggest a Project Ember, this way your investment in driver tubes for the BH Crack can be used on the Ember and the Ember is one of the most flexible amps around due to the adjustable output impedance and attenuation modules.

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #40,119 of 46,499
Can you just add a second amp? Split the signal from the Bifrost using a splitter like this: https://www.parts-express.com/gold-rca-y-(1)-male-to-(2)-right-angle-female-red--091-510
I would suggest a Project Ember, this way your investment in driver tubes for the BH Crack can be used on the Ember and the Ember is one of the most flexible amps around due to the adjustable output impedance and attenuation modules.

I don't mind adding a second amp at all.. But was thinking of an SS amp since I've heard tube amps don't play well with low impedance phones. What headphones have you used with the Ember?

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #40,120 of 46,499
I don't mind adding a second amp at all.. But was thinking of an SS amp since I've heard tube amps don't play well with low impedance phones. What headphones have you used with the Ember?
Tried all my headphones: HD800 (okay pairing but not something I would recommend), HD700 (pretty good), HE560 (good but not great, prefer Lyr2), HD650 (good but not like the BH Crack), HD600 (same as HD650), HE400i (pretty good pairing), RS2e (good to great, depends on tube), Ypsilon R1, G1 and original (all are great on Ember), K7XX (decent but Lyr2 slightly better), EL-8 open (not bad but UD-301 headphone output is slightly better to me), LCD-2f (good to great, depends on tube), DT-990 premium (nice pairing but BH Crack is better).
The Ember can be set with a 0.1ohm output impedance so its like most SS amps but since you can also change the output impedance to 35ohms and 120ohms its easier to match to most headphones.

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #40,121 of 46,499
Nov 9, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #40,122 of 46,499

Tube amps per se don't have a problem with low impedance cans, normally it's just OTL amps that do. For example Bottlehead's Crack doesn't "like" low impedance, Bottlehead's S.E.X. (transformer coupled) is fine for low to high. Likewise, Woo has OTL and transformer coupled amps. And as mentioned above, Garage 1217 has amps to drive anything.

That EC Aficionado above is gorgeous; I didn't know they had a new amp.

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #40,123 of 46,499
Hey guys, looking for some amp advice from veteran 650 owners. If not right thread, please let me know.

Currently I am running a Schiit Bifrost to Bottlehead Crack Speedball setup. I've been enjoying this for some time now, but I think it might be time to upgrade due to the Crack limiting my headphone choices... Reason is I have some orthos on the way which I won't be able to drive with the BH Crack.

So, I have thought about a few options. I am looking for a good all rounder that can drive IEMs to High Impedance phones. I've thought about getting an Oppo HA-1 or a Woo Audio WA7 that have integrated DACs, but that would also mean getting rid of my Schiit Bifrost. My other thinking would be to just upgrade the amp part of my chain with similar budget and upgrade my DAC some other time.. Thinking maybe a Mjolnir 2?

What would be the best option sound wise? Going for an integrated DAC/AMP combo or upgrading to dedicated amp for now? What other dedicated amps should I be considering? I am looking to not only be able to drive a wider range of phones but also improve the sound on the HD650.

Any input appreciated.

I feel the Jot does a very good job with the 650's. Some of that may well be the Pagoda dac thats feeding the Jot.

Nov 9, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #40,124 of 46,499
I feel the Jot does a very good job with the 650's. Some of that may well be the Pagoda dac thats feeding the Jot.
The Pagoda is one of the best DACs I've heard (still kicking myself for not buying the one that was on Craig's List for $400) but the Jot is a great pairing with the HD650, one of the best / better ones IMO for under $500.

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #40,125 of 46,499
I use the Jot for my HD650s daily, it's a fantastic combo when fed by Mimby. I've heard my HD650s on a BH crack, no sb, and I preferred my Jot. The crack sounded great, don't get me wrong, but it was too warm and gooey. The Jot is so fast and clear, it really shows what the 650s are capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back