Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K712
Nov 10, 2014 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

HiAudio

100+ Head-Fier
I have these two and love both and use NuForce  icon HDP to power them. I haven't made extensive comparison and I am not really good at comparing those. The only difference I can tell now is the decay on K712 seems better and K712 also sounds louder at same volume level on the amp due to its low impedance. The HD650 may sound better for piano music. I am not sure how good or bad the NuForce drive them and the role it played in the sound. Do some also have the two? Please share what you think.

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 12
I have the HD 650 and the Q701 which isn't too dissimilar to the K712. For me the difference really is night & day. The AKG does soundstage particularly well but goes (imo) way over the top in it's treble presentation. This is when both are driven by my O2. Perhaps your Nuforce amp isn't getting the most out of either of your headphones?

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 12
The O2 does what to the bass?

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 12
You are right, words are missing. I cannot remember what I wanted to say this exact moment but the fact is - for me at least - the O2 kills bass.
I disagree to say O2 is neutral or transparent since it scraps the bass. O2 is a magician : the bass line, abracadabra, disappeared

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 12
I kinda guessed that was your inference and, with respect, it's nonsense. The worst that could be said is that it doesn't enhance the bass but that's not the O2's raison d'etre.

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 12
To enhance is one thing, to cut is another, and the O2 does not do a proper job in the bass department.
It is my opinion and you do not have to share it, but I am not forcing you to think the way I do so don't tell my words are nonsense.
I am new here but it does not mean I am a newcomer in audio. I just want to share. I bought an O2 and the bass issue is here whatever the headphone is (HE-400, DX700, Pandora Hope VI, Q701, Signature Pro).
For me an O2 with an AKG means loosing a lot because the low end has to be driven much better than an O2 can afford.

Sorry but my english is not good enough to be as specific as I would like to be (and automatic translation suks).

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 12
There's no need to be defensive. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. I just happen to believe your opinion is wrong. The O2 is transparent and if using it results in too little bass for your taste then perhaps it might be best to consider different headphones.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 12
I tried many amps and the O2 was the worst imo.
I do not think my headphones lack bass. You cannot say the O2 is transparent. Obviously it is not. Those who like it seem to seek a flat response, and a flat response is not transparency, it is a forced flat line. Transparency would not affect bass like this.

End of the discussion for me. I share my opinion and I have nothing more to add. I am glad O2 is a winner for you. That does not mean some people does not share this point of view.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 12
I'm also done. We'll agree to differ.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 12
To enhance is one thing, to cut is another, and the O2 does not do a proper job in the bass department.
It is my opinion and you do not have to share it, but I am not forcing you to think the way I do so don't tell my words are nonsense.
I am new here but it does not mean I am a newcomer in audio. I just want to share. I bought an O2 and the bass issue is here whatever the headphone is (HE-400, DX700, Pandora Hope VI, Q701, Signature Pro).
For me an O2 with an AKG means loosing a lot because the low end has to be driven much better than an O2 can afford.

Sorry but my english is not good enough to be as specific as I would like to be (and automatic translation suks).

There's no need to be defensive. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. I just happen to believe your opinion is wrong. The O2 is transparent and if using it results in too little bass for your taste then perhaps it might be best to consider different headphones.

What's interesting is that this 'bass-less' opinion (pun intended) cuts across such a wide variety of headphones...Makes me think it's the O2's 'fault' in this instance and a warmer amp is in order. I own a solid state and a tube amp for this very reason. I just prefer a warmer amp for a few sets of cans.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 12
What's interesting is that this 'bass-less' opinion (pun intended) cuts across such a wide variety of headphones...Makes me think it's the O2's 'fault' in this instance and a warmer amp is in order. I own a solid state and a tube amp for this very reason. I just prefer a warmer amp for a few sets of cans.

I think that's probably a fair assessment. I just take exception to the idea that somehow a transparent component is 'removing' something. Life would be dull if we all liked the same things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back