Sennheiser HD600 vs Hifiman HE400 and what is the best amp for either of these?
Nov 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
So these are both the headphones in my price range. I plan on buying an amp and dac, the schiit magni and modi, because those are affordable too. I am used to using sennheiser hd588 headphones with the foam mod, and I just want to upgrade. I listen to a lot of varying types of music from ambient, slowcore, post rock, to post punk and folk, to emo, screamo, death metal, black metal and death metal. Not sure if that really matter what I listen to in this case with such ridiculously nice headphones. If I don't get any replies I think I'm just gonna go for the sennheiser hd600. Thanks

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 15
  Check and post on the appreciation threads for these particular cans.

It says at the top page of the full size headphone board not to ask for recommendations

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 15
i think for your music you would love the HE-400s.

I have them with the Schiit Magni and Modi and they sound great.

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 15
Well, I have the HD650 and the HE500, and have also heard the HE400 fairly extensively.  I'll compare the HEs to the 650s - the 600s are close enough that you may be able to extrapolate from here.

The HE400 is the type of headphone that is initially quite attention-grabbing but which, atleast to my ears, becomes a little fatiguing after a while.   The HD650 are smoother and certainly more enjoyable when listening for longer periods - what some people call "the Sennheiser veil" is a warmer, smoother, less-fatiguing sound that doesnt call attention to itself and lets the listener focus on the music.    And also closer to the sound of live music (using orchestras as a reference).

Dec 1, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 15
hiya, for dac/amp, you could consider audio gd 15.32.
have you looked at this thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/624196/he-400-vs-hd600

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 15
  Well, I have the HD650 and the HE500, and have also heard the HE400 fairly extensively.  I'll compare the HEs to the 650s - the 600s are close enough that you may be able to extrapolate from here.

The HE400 is the type of headphone that is initially quite attention-grabbing but which, atleast to my ears, becomes a little fatiguing after a while.   The HD650 are smoother and certainly more enjoyable when listening for longer periods - what some people call "the Sennheiser veil" is a warmer, smoother, less-fatiguing sound that doesnt call attention to itself and lets the listener focus on the music.    And also closer to the sound of live music (using orchestras as a reference).

Thank you, this helps. I don't want fatiguing when I'm listening to music and I do remember the HE-400 doing that to me when I owned it for a couple weeks. Then again people are telling me that the HE-400 is a good choice. I guess I'm kind of concerned that the beyerdynamic dt880 would be a good choice of headphone too. I can't come to a clear decision!

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #11 of 15
just pulled the trigger on the sennheiser hd650 with vali and modi. Hope I love it!

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 15
^^ Good choice. You will like it. IMO, bright treble sounds impressive on early listening, but gets very fatiguing later, especially with headphones. The 650s are really, really good cans.   I have LCD2s and a pretty high-end 2A3-based tube rig, and the 650s still get listening time.

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 15
But.. Which would you recommend to me who liked the AKG 701s which I  don't have right now (long sob story).  I am debating between the HD650s and the HE-400s at this point.  I am using a Singlepower Extreme for the amp with a conventional CD player as a source. Thanks for thought on this question.
I am a bit put off when I read about the "Sennheiser Veil" .  I certainly like transducers that are revealing, I also want well balanced and realistic honest sound that is rich and full .  I know I don't like digital glare and screechy treble, but do want the beauty of crystaline highs.  I suppose that is everyone's ultimate  goal ultimately, using one system or another to get that.

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #14 of 15
You're wanting a lot of things at once, but won't be able to quite get them all in one headphone.

HD650 vs HE-400 is a tradeoff, what would you put first?

If you want big bass: HE-400
If you want crystaline highs that can also be screechy at times: HE-400
If you don't want screechy highs at all: HD650
If you want a more balanced sound and livelier upper mids for aggressive rock music: HD650

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #15 of 15
  But.. Which would you recommend to me who liked the AKG 701s which I  don't have right now (long sob story).  I am debating between the HD650s and the HE-400s at this point.  I am using a Singlepower Extreme for the amp with a conventional CD player as a source. Thanks for thought on this question.
I am a bit put off when I read about the "Sennheiser Veil" .  I certainly like transducers that are revealing, I also want well balanced and realistic honest sound that is rich and full .  I know I don't like digital glare and screechy treble, but do want the beauty of crystaline highs.  I suppose that is everyone's ultimate  goal ultimately, using one system or another to get that.

You should read about both cans in this well done piece:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back