Sennheiser HD600 paired w/ Sugden Headmaster
Apr 28, 2002 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

alexerwu

New Head-Fier
I just wanted to take this chance and confirm what many on this forum have already said. That is, there seems to be a real synergy for the Sennheiser HD600 paired w/ Sugden Headmaster. The HD600's seem to come alive with detail but manages to maintain its neutrality thoughout the frequency spectrum at the same time. I can now see what Headroom means when they say that their favorite headphones are the HD 600's.

However, I don't think the Headmaster matches well w/ my AT 100's or the AKG 501's. This is not to say that the match is "bad", but the sound seems strangely "glossed" over. The micro-dynamic details are lacking although the overall characteristics of the sound is pleasingly neutral. I would tentatively say that I prefer using the MF X-Cans V2 or the RA-1 for the AT-100's over the Sugden at this point. I still haven't found a great match for the AKG 501's at this point.

In conclusion, the HD600 pairing w/ the Headmaster is phenomenal. I would highly recommend the Headmaster for anyone who owns the HD600's.

Apr 28, 2002 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 16
biggrin.gif

The Legion of Headmasters grows!

Apr 28, 2002 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Masz
biggrin.gif
The Legion of Headmasters grows!

I know that this is a vestige of various movies, but I keep getting this vision of a group of humourless men (English accents, of course) presiding over schools of British schoolboys in uniforms..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2002 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

I know that this is a vestige of various movies, but I keep getting this vision of a group of humourless men (English accents, of course) presiding over schools of British schoolboys in uniforms..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Haha, actually I do too.
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by alexerwu
I just wanted to take this chance and confirm what many on this forum have already said. That is, there seems to be a real synergy for the Sennheiser HD600 paired w/ Sugden Headmaster. The HD600's seem to come alive with detail but manages to maintain its neutrality thoughout the frequency spectrum at the same time. I can now see what Headroom means when they say that their favorite headphones are the HD 600's.

However, I don't think the Headmaster matches well w/ my AT 100's or the AKG 501's. This is not to say that the match is "bad", but the sound seems strangely "glossed" over. The micro-dynamic details are lacking although the overall characteristics of the sound is pleasingly neutral. I would tentatively say that I prefer using the MF X-Cans V2 or the RA-1 for the AT-100's over the Sugden at this point. I still haven't found a great match for the AKG 501's at this point.

In conclusion, the HD600 pairing w/ the Headmaster is phenomenal. I would highly recommend the Headmaster for anyone who owns the HD600's.

I see your in CT. Where did you get your Headmaster?

Apr 28, 2002 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 16
If the Headmaster is as good an amp as people claim then the W100 and K501 should not sound as good with it as the HD600.... for obvious reasons.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

However, I don't think the Headmaster matches well w/ my AT 100's or the AKG 501's.

OK, I gotta disagree on this one regarding the 501s. To my ears, the K501s are an excellent match for the Headmaster. The infamous "missing in action" bass of the AKGs is there in force. The midrange and highs are both detailed and very smooth. I sense no loss of "microdynamic details," and l I don't hear anything that is "glossed over." To my ears, the K501s have never sounded better. And again, for my ears, I prefer the HD600s with the Earmax Pro. The "tubiness" of this little marvel seems to fill in the midrange and brings it a bit more forward.
I guess this is yet another example of how we all hear things differently.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Thanks for the info. How exactly would you compare the sound of the HD600 w/RA-1 against the Sugden?

The HD600 paired w/ the RA-1 seems a bit more "lifeless" as opposed to the Headmaster setup. Everything is there, but there's just less of it. With the Headmaster, there's good control of the bass region. The entire frequency spectrum seems to "smooth out" -- meaning that the often reported sucked out mid-range and the bass bloom are now mitigated. The mid-range has body and that magical "sparkle" -- closer to that of the RS-1. The bass is tight but deep. The Headmaster basically rectifies all of the previously mentioned shortcomings of the HD-600 to a great extent. It is now similar to the RS-1 in terms of microdynamic detail without the strident highs while retaining its macrodynamic sonic picture. I was quite suprised at the transformation.

Quote:

I see your in CT. Where did you get your Headmaster?

I purchased the Headmaster (demo unit) from Cadence
orders@cadencebuilding.com for $500 (no remote). Their communication was somewhat slow & spotty, but the amp arrived in good condition (as new) and was well packaged so no compaints there.

Quote:

If the Headmaster is as good an amp as people claim then the W100 and K501 should not sound as good with it as the HD600.... for obvious reasons.

I guess I just expected the performance of the AKG 501's to be closer to the HD600's with this amp because of the similar 120 Ohm impedance for both 'phones. Strangely enough, the 501's seem to want even more power in order to bring out the details. Right now, it just seems a bit "too" smooth and lacks the dynamic impact of the bass regions. Perhaps the bass is tighter than before, but it certaintly doesn't sound "deeper". I still am puzzled by the decrease in apparent detail (as compared to the CD headphone jack!?).

In short, the Headmaster lifts the veil for the HD600's but the 501 just seems to need that "something extra" for it to come alive.
confused.gif

Apr 28, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by alexerwu
In short, the Headmaster lifts the veil for the HD600's but the 501 just seems to need that "something extra" for it to come alive.
confused.gif

Two expressions come to mind:

"Sometimes a snowflake is just a snowflake." - Robert Frost
"You can't polish a turd." - Unknown

Apr 28, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

The HD600 paired w/ the RA-1 seems a bit more "lifeless" as opposed to the Headmaster setup. Everything is there, but there's just less of it.

Agree 100%..........I guess we don't hear that differently.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, alex.........I see in your profile that you have a very nice collection. But there is one headphone you need to get. But beware, one listen, and all your other headphones may not sound as good to you anymore. It happened to me. One word: Etymotics.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 16
You can't turn a pos into something decent. You can't turn something decent into something good. You can't turn something good into something great... (In most cases)

Apr 28, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
"You can't polish a turd." - Unknown

Hmm...I used that expression over on Headwize, to make the point that it doesn't really matter how good your transducer is if the source sucks.

However, it's not quite true. In her younger days, my sister did some experiments with Lucite, which included embedding a turd, that could indeed be polished thereafter (this was a gift for her husband-to-be...don't ask more!). Another important lesson was learned from this...when embedding a turd in Lucite, don't use the kind you have to cure in the oven.
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Agree 100%..........I guess we don't hear that differently.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, alex.........I see in your profile that you have a very nice collection. But there is one headphone you need to get. But beware, one listen, and all your other headphones may not sound as good to you anymore. It happened to me. One word: Etymotics.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Word.
very_evil_smiley.gif
It's strange because my first real high end phones were Etys. I wonder if I should still keep exploring, if only to know what everyone else on the board is talking about.

I know that it's very hard to listen to my Grados after hearing Etys though, so I have some idea of what joe's talking about.

Still saving up for my MG Head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back