Sennheiser HD600 for $330 worth it?
Dec 8, 2014 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Johnsy11

New Head-Fier
I've gotta ask, since I first saw the specs and the price for these phones I instantly felt I needed them, especially since the cable in my Sennheiser HD205 II's recently gave up the ghost. Due to my sister. These headphones were good and all, and still... kinda... work, except for the constant shorting. I am looking for great phones for listening to music and the odd movie. And to mock my friends who have bought beats. They don't release their specifications for a reason. I have the opportunity to get a pair of HD600's for $330 with free shipping and want input whether I should take the step. Not really a big leap for me. Please note- I live in a house with a lot of ambient noise and am willing to modify ear muffs to cover the gauss on these phones.

Thanks for any input!

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 11
Your last sentence leaves me puzzled - are you planning to cover the grills on the HD600?

You'll be far better off just getting a closed-back model, if your house has a fair bit of noise. You might even benefit from an IEM more.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 11
DO NOT COVER THE GRILLS OF THE HD600.

These headphones are an open backed design, and sealing the grills will alter the sound quality. $330 is a good price for these cans, but it sounds like you will be better served by a sealed headphone.

Oh, and the HD600, while great, pretty much requires a separate amplifier to drive. They have a high impedance load (300 Ohms) and relatively low efficiency.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 11
DO NOT COVER THE GRILLS OF THE HD600.

These headphones are an open backed design, and sealing the grills will alter the sound quality. $330 is a good price for these cans, but it sounds like you will be better served by a sealed headphone.

Oh, and the HD600, while great, pretty much requires a separate amplifier to drive. They have a high impedance load (300 Ohms) and relatively low efficiency.

HD600 is actually pretty efficient, I still could drive them with portable amps. Some are even driving them with iPods, although it doesnt sound as good with an amp

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 11
You need closed cans with decent isolation.  The open HD 600 are not a fit and it is a fools errand to make them something that radically different from what they are.

There have been better deals over recent days.  Regardless, you should keep an eye on the Deals Discussion thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/10275#post_11112407

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 11
I was not permanently planning on covering the grilles, I know these need to be open to give it a large soundstage and to give the driver better linearity, I just meant for the sound isolation to be removable so when the noise in my house is at a greater than acceptable limit I have the option to dull the outside world. I will not be using any other immediate noise isolation unless necessary. It was just a note to be added. Plus, the HD600's seem to have good efficiency at 97dB @ 1mW. I will be getting an external DAC for these. They deserve it.

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 11
  I was not permanently planning on covering the grilles, I know these need to be open to give it a large soundstage and to give the driver better linearity, I just meant for the sound isolation to be removable so when the noise in my house is at a greater than acceptable limit I have the option to dull the outside world. I will not be using any other immediate noise isolation unless necessary. It was just a note to be added. Plus, the HD600's seem to have good efficiency at 97dB @ 1mW. I will be getting an external DAC for these. They deserve it.

Like everyone said, if you're going to need the isolation, you're better off with a closed can -- or better yet, an IEM. Also, you might want to get an amp along with your DAC, since a DAC doesn't do much to drive the HD600. Just saying.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 11
This:
Like everyone said, if you're going to need the isolation, you're better off with a closed can -- or better yet, an IEM. Also, you might want to get an amp along with your DAC, since a DAC doesn't do much to drive the HD600. Just saying.

Also, DO. NOT. COVER. THE. GRILLS. If you need sound isolation, use a different pair of headphones. Open headphones are designed to let some sound leak out. By reflecting that sound back into your ears, you are seriously messing with the sound signature. Also, the grills let air flow in and out. By sealing air inside, you may also be affecting how the diaphragm performs.

Seriously, you can get decent IEMs for $30, and Monoprice sells a pretty good sealed headphone for <$25. If you would need isolation often, then pass on the HD600 for now and pick up something really good in the sealed category. It might not sound as good as the HD600, but it will de designed with the seal in mind. The result will be a good sounding headphone that works with your environment.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #9 of 11
Seriously, you can get decent IEMs for $30, and Monoprice sells a pretty good sealed headphone for <$25. If you would need isolation often, then pass on the HD600 for now and pick up something really good in the sealed category. It might not sound as good as the HD600, but it will de designed with the seal in mind. The result will be a good sounding headphone that works with your environment.

To add to that thought, an HD600 for over $300? Honestly, that's a little expensive, if you ask me. All that could go into a pretty good rig, I think.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #10 of 11
The HD600 will not sound remotely as intended by Sennheiser if you cover the grilles! If you want a similar sound signature and need a closed-back headphone, why not look at the Beyer DT250s (250 ohm version)?

May 2, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #11 of 11
Just to clarify a few statements, I live in the country on a quiet road, and listen to music in a thermally insulated (also blocks some sound), carpeted room with a large wooden door that blocks the rest. There is absolutely no background noise problem, as even though you hear outside noise clearly, that is due to the ears low noise floor, which is easily overcome. I was not planning to cover the backs of these headphones, that was a joke. Seriously, I know all about how the open back allows for a greater soundstage and airy sound. The $330 was in Australian dollars, which equates roughly to $270 US, with free shipping from a reputable source. Taking everything into account, including recommendations, I got these headphones, and they sound absolutely amazing. To be honest, I shed a tear first time listening to them. Got a Schiit Fulla DAC, which complements them perfectly. I admit, I enjoy bass, and even though these are open, the bass they recreate is amazingly linear and smooth. Better than anything I have previously heard. Their highs are also stunning, reducing all harsh noise from my beats knock-off headphones to interpretable notes and tones, which give the music just so much more personality, as highs are no longer truly cringeworthy parts. The whole amp/DAC problem people were discussing is not present, as I know the difference between an AMP, DAC and AMP/DAC combo. I got a Fulla, which is a combo. That said, I have plenty of Amps lying around, 4 within arms reach from where I sit at my desk. One of them has a frequency response of DC-300kHz, yes DC, designed with transient peaks in mind. Full class A transistor amp, with a THD of either 0.000 something or 0.0000 something. Very low. To be honest, I haven't used it yet as the Fulla can drive them no problem, except for a few rare circumstances.

Thanks for the feedback though, It's nice to see people taking an interest in other people they have never met, to the extent of providing friendly, factual advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back