Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #751 of 980
If they've been yanked it's possible the plug inside the phone has pulled slightly out of its socket. Sennheiser have instructions on their site about how to change the leads on the 555/595---check it out.

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #752 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they've been yanked it's possible the plug inside the phone has pulled slightly out of its socket. Sennheiser have instructions on their site about how to change the leads on the 555/595---check it out.

Thank you, I'll take a look.

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #753 of 980
hi,i wanna ask something about the hd595.(i haven't read all the thread
redface.gif
)

i'm looking for a good headphone for portable use.(with my sony portable cdp,and maybe an ipod in the future)

I'm going to try some closed cans first(some people recommended me some closed models)but if i don't like any of them(i have a feeling that i will not like closed cans...),i'm thinking to get the hd 595.

I'm a bit concerned though.When i auditioned them(50 ohm version),my portable cd player drove them easily,and the sound was well balanced,with sweet,non fatiquing/harsh highs(even on high volume,this is very important for me),and a nice smooth,pleasant sound signature(what i'm looking for).But the overall presentation felt a bit dull/veiled and slow,a bit uninvolving/lifeless.(although i greatly prefer this sound to something more exciting but harsh,bass heavy and fatiguing)

is there an improvement after burning in,does the sound become a bit more clear/dynamic,while maintaning this warm/smooth and balanced sound sig?

I should mention that i don't like bass heavy cans,too forward,with hot trebles etc,i like the sound to be refined,balanced,silky/smooth,with good mids presentation,sweet transparent highs and good detail,good imaging and airy soundstage,and well defined non overpowering lows.

I own hd 600 and i really like them out of my amp,they have a very nice,clear,open and smooth sound,they are polite but not boring,and i enjoy them everytime i listen to the music.I want something similar out of my portable,the 595 came close,but failed a bit in the "involving factor".But i had a feeling that they were a bit veiled/slow because they were new...what do you think?

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #754 of 980
The 595 will have improved delineation (detail) after a full burn in. Everything will come clear, but they still may not be as incisive as the 600, which I find a bit "hot" in the upper mids. You'll quickly adjust to the sound though, if you give yourself a chance.

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #755 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyplane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I used to love my 595's until they continually would lose sound in the left speaker. I searched here and found out about the lame 1/4->1/8 adapter that it ships with, so then I bought the recommended Grado adapter. Still no dice, absolutely no sound through the left speaker.

Now I'm on the fence about trying to take them apart to see if the cable is the problem or risk being without my headphones for a month while service works on them. I've only had them 8 months, but have used them on the headroom bithead and have loved it. I'm just pissed that they crapped out on me so soon... so much for higher quality.

Anyone have experience with their customer service and can recommend either way to fix myself or send them in?

Thanks.

It's probably a dead cable. I've found that Sennheiser (well most to be honest) cables tend to flex around the connection to the phones, this chews up the inside of the cables (espically the wire to ground) and eventually causes failure. My HD580's first cable failed after a year. Its second has just failed after 5 years, but it lasted that long mainly becaused I wrapped it in tape in such away that it couldn't flex as much in one place. Some 595s could be my next phones though.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #756 of 980
Luckily mine were still under warranty, so I sent them in last week. I'll post up when I get them back to say what the problem was. The connections looked good on the speaker side, so it must be the plug side that had the problem.

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #757 of 980
I just replaced my cable last month with a new one bought from Sennheiser. It was very very easy.

Just to reiterate what I have said before: These improve with age. Mine are 4+ years old and just keep sounding better. I just replaced the cable and the pads. They do not really need to be amped to sound amazing, maybe this is a big advantage over the 600 series. Anyway every time I put them on I am still very impressed, and I would not trade them for any other sennheiser.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #759 of 980
I still love mine and thats after many upgrades. No matter what some haters say they are great for a portable or pc headphone.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #761 of 980
Hi guys, I'm new to the headphone game so I have a few questions. I'm a big music/movie lover and I've got a pretty decent 5.1 home theater setup, but sometimes I can't watch movies or listen to music late because of my roommates. I've been thinking of getting a nice pair of headphones for a while but didn't really know where to start. After doing a quick search and reading some reviews a while back, I knew I was probably going to be getting a pair of Sennheisers. Based on price and practicality, I've had my eye on either the HD595's or the HD555's, but am looking for some advice on which will suit me best.

Now, here's a big part of my decision. I'm not an audiophile, but I do listen to a lot of music and watch a lot of movies and I just want them to sound great. Since I'm not a dedicated audiophile, I don't have a headphones amp. I usually listen to music through my PS3 on my sound system, which is driven by a nice receiver. Also, the majority of my headphone use will be for listening to music and watching blu-rays on my Home Theater setup, playing computer games or watching Netflix movies on my computer, or listening to my iPod.

So my first question is: knowing what my primary headphone use will be, are the 595's worth the extra cash? I have no problem paying the extra money if I will be more happy with them

Second, does my receiver, an Onkyo 805, act as an effective amp to drive these headphones? I know it's not a dedicated headphone amp, but does it act as an amp and give them more power than say, plugging them into an iPod? This is probably my main concern because I'd love to be able to watch movies/listen to music using some nice headphones plugged into my 805

Well I appreciate any help, thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #762 of 980
HD595 the 555 are just a weaker version and not really a different sound style.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #765 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by B.Dylan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna upgrade from my HD595 to the HD650 I think...

I did and I am not looking back. The hd650 is amazing but if you are looking for a cheap all around decent headphone, the hd595 is still a great headphone.

The hd650 will cost you far more than the cost of the headphones alone. I spent over $700 after leaving the $180 hd595.

Just some food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back