Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #676 of 980
just to be clear that should read 200 hours of burn in time for best results of recable

Jul 26, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #677 of 980
I bought a Graham slee voyager, it's great with HD595.

BTW, I would like to ask those who have HD595, do you have warranty card in the original box? If something wrong with the headphone, how to claim the warranty without the warranty card?

THanks

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #678 of 980
judging by the senn site so long as you have a receipt or register the product on line with a date specific that should be an acceptable date to judge the 2 year time frame

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #679 of 980
Alright, I'm kind of a noob to this whole scene (check my post count for one) and I got some 595's a little over a week ago. I'd say they have 20 + hours on them, but I'm getting quite a bit of distortion on the lowere end. Is it because I haven't burned them in enough? Is it because I need an amp (generally using them with my ipod)? Is it God's way of punishing me for being a noob?

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #680 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by RumpleForeSkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I'm kind of a noob to this whole scene (check my post count for one) and I got some 595's a little over a week ago. I'd say they have 20 + hours on them, but I'm getting quite a bit of distortion on the lowere end. Is it because I haven't burned them in enough? Is it because I need an amp (generally using them with my ipod)? Is it God's way of punishing me for being a noob?

burn them in a little, what kind of files are you using? sometimes bad rips can sound distorted.

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #682 of 980
I have been off the thread for a while due to personal preoccupation (bar exam), but having completed it, I can comment on the glory of a recable. I echo those who have spoken to it before and recommend a soloz recable for anyone who is interested in enhancing the sound of these already wonderful cans.

I received my 5ft of clean copper from soloz about 2 weeks ago, and have been enjoying ever since. There is certainly more burn in to go, but instantly the bass felt a lot better, and the soundstage less crowded. I am not really a bass head so it wasn't missing it before, but now it just feels more sturdy down there, still not going to shake my eyeballs, just more sturdy. As for the soundstage comment, I know these aren't 'crowded' to being with, but the overall spacing sounds better without sounding too spread out (i.e.: I can still enjoy rock songs).

As a final comment, I should note that the cable makes everything sounds better amped and unamped. I made sure to listen to songs on both before switching the cable, and after (since the cable change is moderately frustrating, though certainly not impossible or difficult), and it made me wonder if my money would have been better spent early on getting a recable instead of a sweet amp. When presented with such choices on this forum, the correct answer is, of course, d) all of the above, but it made me think nonetheless. I encourage those reading and considering a cable switch to take the plunge.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #683 of 980
I'm not an audiophile but got to reading about headphone tech on this board so naturally I decided to see if I could upgrade my current experience.

I have basic gear, HD497 and Shure SE210, that I use with my IPod Touch. I decided to get HD595, partially to experience high end audio (relatively speaking), plus they have a $30 rebate.

So far, I'm underwhelmed. My old HD497 sound brighter, punchier, "airer" playing my music collection, mostly adult contemporary rock. Not sure what the problem is. I don't think an amplifier would help since both the 497 and 595 have low impedance.

Right now, I'll thinking of returning the 595 and getting the Grado SR80 or SR125 since I've read it's better with rock.

Can anyone explain to me what I'm missing?

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #684 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by inabstracto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello.

I'm not an owner of Senns HD595 yet, but before buy I wanted to ask you about amp. I read some pages of the topic, and so far there are mixed opinions about whether an amp is needed, or not. I'm not able to plug this headphones directly to the soundcard (EMU 0404 PCI) therefore I must use an amp (oh, at least I think so
smily_headphones1.gif
). So, is it worth to buy a headphone amplifier or there will be no difference if I buy a normal stereo amplifier for about the same price (~150$), so I can plug my speakers to it, too?

Secondly, I wanted to ask you about using HD595 as a studio headphones. I'm not a professional, not even a skilled amateur
biggrin.gif
, so I don't expect them to be superb at it. I just want to know, if these headphones are as good as some cheaper studio ones.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone help?

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #685 of 980
Returned the 595 and got the SR80. For a minute thought about getting some noise cancelling cans (Audio Technica ATH-ANC7), but decided to go with better sound quality.

SR80 are definitely livelier with more of a kick. Read through more threads and found out about the 595's "veil" issue. Some counter that there was no veil issue. All I can say is that the 595 was definitely more "muted" or subdued.

One bad point, the SR80 are ugly. But I guess I can't complain too much since they're half the price of the 595.

Maybe I don't have a great ear but I felt the $40 HD497 compared pretty well with SR80. It could be the fact I need better gear to appreciate the better equipment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotOdds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not an audiophile but got to reading about headphone tech on this board so naturally I decided to see if I could upgrade my current experience.

I have basic gear, HD497 and Shure SE210, that I use with my IPod Touch. I decided to get HD595, partially to experience high end audio (relatively speaking), plus they have a $30 rebate.

So far, I'm underwhelmed. My old HD497 sound brighter, punchier, "airer" playing my music collection, mostly adult contemporary rock. Not sure what the problem is. I don't think an amplifier would help since both the 497 and 595 have low impedance.

Right now, I'll thinking of returning the 595 and getting the Grado SR80 or SR125 since I've read it's better with rock.

Can anyone explain to me what I'm missing?

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #686 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by PotOdds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Returned the 595 and got the SR80. For a minute thought about getting some noise cancelling cans (Audio Technica ATH-ANC7), but decided to go with better sound quality.

SR80 are definitely livelier with more of a kick. Read through more threads and found out about the 595's "veil" issue. Some counter that there was no veil issue. All I can say is that the 595 was definitely more "muted" or subdued.

One bad point, the SR80 are ugly. But I guess I can't complain too much since they're half the price of the 595.

Maybe I don't have a great ear but I felt the $40 HD497 compared pretty well with SR80. It could be the fact I need better gear to appreciate the better equipment.

Hd595 are a more laid back sound, especially compared to Grado headphones. However, a good source, decent amp (they'll sing with tubes) and a cable upgrade will fix a lot of their issues. Even stock they aren't a bad headphone, I think many of us could be happy with a pair of SR80 and a pair of HD595.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #687 of 980
I probably was expecting too much. Low end stuff has improved so much. To really see a big jump in performance I would need to spend much more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hd595 are a more laid back sound, especially compared to Grado headphones. However, a good source, decent amp (they'll sing with tubes) and a cable upgrade will fix a lot of their issues. Even stock they aren't a bad headphone, I think many of us could be happy with a pair of SR80 and a pair of HD595.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #689 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by (gregor) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been off the thread for a while due to personal preoccupation (bar exam), but having completed it, I can comment on the glory of a recable. I echo those who have spoken to it before and recommend a soloz recable for anyone who is interested in enhancing the sound of these already wonderful cans.

I received my 5ft of clean copper from soloz about 2 weeks ago, and have been enjoying ever since. There is certainly more burn in to go, but instantly the bass felt a lot better, and the soundstage less crowded. I am not really a bass head so it wasn't missing it before, but now it just feels more sturdy down there, still not going to shake my eyeballs, just more sturdy. As for the soundstage comment, I know these aren't 'crowded' to being with, but the overall spacing sounds better without sounding too spread out (i.e.: I can still enjoy rock songs).

As a final comment, I should note that the cable makes everything sounds better amped and unamped. I made sure to listen to songs on both before switching the cable, and after (since the cable change is moderately frustrating, though certainly not impossible or difficult), and it made me wonder if my money would have been better spent early on getting a recable instead of a sweet amp. When presented with such choices on this forum, the correct answer is, of course, d) all of the above, but it made me think nonetheless. I encourage those reading and considering a cable switch to take the plunge.

congrats on the bar exam from a fellow head-fi'er and retired atty...and i agree with experiences/insights re the soloz recable---well worth the 65 for the spc or 85 for the cardas

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #690 of 980
I'm considering upgrading from my HD-555s to the 595s. I've had the 555s for probably 6 months and am very happy with them, but I'd like to take the next step towards a better listening experience. Has anyone else gone right from the 555 to the 595 and was there really that much of a difference? After reading this thread, it makes it seem that some people upgraded, but there are no direct comparisons (although in honesty I didn't read all 65 pages.) If it helps, I listen to everything from Sinatra to Jazz to some Rock. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back