Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #631 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yo-Yo Ma? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I apologize in advance for my noobness.

I've been an owner of 595's for about a year now and only recently have I been wanting to get into 'higher quality sound'. I do 99% of my listening at home on my laptop with winamp, and I was wondering if you could help me find a DAC and amp because I hear that a dedicated DAC is the way to go when using a laptop as a transport. Or anything like that to get the 'best' quality sound out of my 595's.

I'd say my budget for this would be about $400 for the DAC and amp. I could be willing to spend more if it meant getting the most out of the 595's.

Thanks dudes!

At $499 the Headamp Pico is slightly above your $400 range, but if you can spring for the extra cash it would give you a good amp/dac combo.

Apr 8, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #632 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At $499 the Headamp Pico is slightly above your $400 range, but if you can spring for the extra cash it would give you a good amp/dac combo.

It's a bit over my budget for now. But, I thank you for the suggestion.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for a nice combo for the 595's?

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #633 of 980
Meier Audio amps are a good match for the HD595, and for the sennheiser series in general. IMHO

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #634 of 980
"Dedicated DAC" - as in seperate from the amp? I was thinking a meier 2Move myself, but that is a 2 in one.

I just ordered an E-Mu 0404 for my desktop computer since I don't have a portable DAC. The 0404 seems to be where a lot of people who just want to use headphones and who don't have a DAC in their amp end up. USB 0404 is about $150-200.

Also the aforementioned E-Mu 0202 which is cheaper -
Emu 0202 USB 2.0 Audio Interface from zZounds.com!

Amazon.com: E-MU EM8740 Professional Quality USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface with 2 Inputs & 2 Outputs including Mic/Line/Digital/Headphone: Electronics (the listing is confusing - but it is cheaper)

But, maybe I am more of a noob than you and I don't fully understand the question.

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #635 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We'll see these 2 weeks....BOOYAH!

Good luck mate!
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #636 of 980
I've borrowed these phones off a mate. I'm definately impressed. It's a very nicely contrasting sound to my grados. The bass is deeper and atmospheric, but less punchy and precise, the mids are relatively similar EDIT: in strength, but the 595s seem rather grainy, and the highs are very much recessed in comparison, but more natural sounding.
The best thing about these phones when comparing them to Grados is the soundstage, which is far wider. I might end up buying a pair - never tried any HD600s or HD650s, but apparently they are more veiled sounding, and i don't think i'd like that.

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #637 of 980
Quote:

Hello,

I've been an owner of 595's for about a year now and only recently have I been wanting to get into 'higher quality sound'. I do 99% of my listening at home on my laptop with winamp, and I was wondering if you could help me find a DAC and amp because I hear that a dedicated DAC is the way to go when using a laptop as a transport. Or anything like that to get the 'best' quality sound out of my 595's.

I'd say my budget for this would be about $400 for the DAC and amp. I could be willing to spend more if it meant getting the most out of the 595's.

Thanks dudes!

Get a HeadRoom Total BitHead. I love mine and it powers all but the highest impedence cans like 650s, 880s. Your 595s will be a great match, and it can power itself off the BUS from your USB. Super smooth, even, articulate sound, man! And as a bonus - it's only $150. With the extra money you save, you can get another headphone!

M

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #638 of 980
Yeah - for such a good price and from such a good site/company - how good is the bithead? Are the 2move or other more expensive dac/amps clearly better?

Seems like the big lists of amp reviews like skylabs don't bother with the bithead or airhead.

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #640 of 980
Quote:

Or anything like that to get the 'best' quality sound out of my 595's.

I have 595's, and my iBasso D1 solid state portable amp makes them sound great. I have been rolling the op amps looking for my favorite sound signature. Since the D1 is a USB/DAC and has optical & coax inputs, it is extremely versatile so I can use it in various configurations with different equipment.

The DAC portion of the D1 is very nice, and I usually feed it into a Little Dot MKII tube amp. Lovely combination. You could probably score both the D1 and LD MKII pretty close to your budget.

Lately, the flavor-of-the-month headphone amp is the Octavart. There is a thread currently active on the forums in which members are giving it very high praise. The Octavart is a DAC/Amp with coax and optical inputs. At $299, it sounds like a fabulous deal. Check it out at Head-Direct.com.

May 1, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #644 of 980
i just recently got myself a pair of hd595s and gotta say im loving this thing, i really disagree with the comments on the lack of bass, (but then im not a pro at audio lol) is just not gonna pound u hard like some other phones but it certainly has the range for it.

some quick questions:
if i want to get a decent amp to go with it, wot would u pros recommend? like somewhere around $150 bucks,
and how many hours would i have to burn this baby to get its full power?

Thanks guys
this appreciation thread is pretty overwhelming for a newbie like me haha
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #645 of 980
So did anyone get those replacement cables for the HD595 from soloz audio?

Anybody?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back