1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by nabwong, Aug 13, 2005.
First

Back
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
Next

Last
  1. ghzallen
    i think hd595 is the best phone for me to watch film IMO

2. Tone Def
    ^They are pretty good especially with Dolby Headphone.

3. outbreak123
    Yup, and a bit of boost in the low freq EQ IMO.

4. (gregor)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by donaldekelly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I have an old ety 75 ohm cable - wonder if that would work wonders? (My 595s should come by March 20th)

So, not to beat a boring horse to death, but I was talking to someone else who had done this and when I asked if it was any good, he replied "Bass sounds more full and robust, overall smooths out the sound of the phones. This might make them feel slightly less upfront, but with a decent amp you may prefer the new balance. I for one preferred them with the adapter." So, a little more intrigue into the mess of cable connectors and adapters; Any thoughts donaldekelly? Did that Onkyo drive your cans to cost-efficient nirvana or what? [​IMG]

5. donaldekelly Contributor
    Out of my Onkyo receiver - well the 75 ohm cable was nothing to write home - er - head-fi about.

I think maybe a slight veiling of the treble, and therefore a slight accenting of the bass - but not so much that I will swear to it. Pretty much the same with the 75 ohm cable and without. (Both sounded good but not as good as I remember my old HD280s sounding run out of a portaphile - but my memory is nothing to depend on).

So, anyone want to buy a 75 ohm cable with that sales pitch?

I guess receiver headphone jacks are "an afterthought" but the only amps in the receiver are good to very good ones, I have read. Maybe it is hooked to one of the merely good ones?

6. donaldekelly Contributor
    Last night I tried the 75ohm cable out of my Zune80 - it really does seem to accent the bass (or more accurately veil the treble and maybe mids). So, when my amp comes - it might just be the ticket to increasing the bass in the 595s. It still sounds very good without the amp and with the 75 ohm cable. But with an amp it might add to the bass really nicely.

Just my impressions of what I heard last night playing a mix of rock and classical chamber music.

7. (gregor)
    Quote:

Out of my Onkyo receiver - well the 75 ohm cable was nothing to write home - er - head-fi about. ...

...So, anyone want to buy a 75 ohm cable with that sales pitch?

I guess receiver headphone jacks are "an afterthought" but the only amps in the receiver are good to very good ones, I have read. Maybe it is hooked to one of the merely good ones?

Haha, I don't think you should spend anytime second guessing the headphone amplifying power of your receiver... we can see how the cable veils with a dedicated amp, but it is starting to look like the +75ohm magic might be unnecessary...

8. donaldekelly Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by (gregor) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    ... it is starting to look like the +75ohm magic might be unnecessary...

I never thought the cable added much to the Ety 4s - but I sent the Etys back anyway. I guess it will be interesting to play with when the amp comes (any day now).

9. donaldekelly Contributor
    Quote:

we can see how the cable veils with a dedicated amp

Well, amp came today and it sounds very good. Lots of bass to my ears - but I am not a "bass head", as they say.

The Ety 75 ohm cable still lessens the high and I think mid frequencies. I strongly prefer the HD595 with the Headsix rather than with no amp, and I clearly prefer the 595/Headsix without the 75 ohm cable.

10. Tone Def
    ^As I've said before, with an amp the 595's are singing with gusto! [​IMG]

11. fault151
    im new to this thread so apologies if i repeat already discussed topics. Can the headphone cable on the 595's be removed easily? Whats a good replacement cable for it, or do you need to make your own up?

12. (gregor)
    Quote:

Well, amp came today and it sounds very good. Lots of bass to my ears - but I am not a "bass head", as they say.

The Ety 75 ohm cable still lessens the high and I think mid frequencies. I strongly prefer the HD595 with the Headsix rather than with no amp, and I clearly prefer the 595/Headsix without the 75 ohm cable.

POW! that resolves many of my questions, and saves me $40 or begging a cable from my friend (possibly worse). The only frown I have now is that my 2move is still traveling from Europa, though I suspect it has jumped the pond only to be slowed by the junction of hardy American work ethic and the exceptionally miserable midwestern weather of late.

13. (gregor)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    im new to this thread so apologies if i repeat already discussed topics. Can the headphone cable on the 595's be removed easily? Whats a good replacement cable for it, or do you need to make your own up?

Well, I would direct all over the place to search for yourself, but as it happens I recently looked all over the place for myself and this is what I discovered:
    1) It is possible to change the cable, but it involves taking the headphone apart, and possibly soldering (depending on how cable you are actually replacing).
    2) Sennheiser sells replacements, so you can get a stock replacement, but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for (and it still involves taking the headphone apart).
    3) Any cable that works for 580, 590, 600, 650, etc will NOT work for the 595; you must find cables for the 5x5 series (515, 555, 595, and maybe some others...).
    4) Various cable makers used to make sweet recables for the 595, but for some reason have stopped.
    5) I saw someone trying to sell a cable upgrade for the 595 on the FS forum here at head-fi, along with the headphones, but separately; the end result that MANY people wanted the cable, and no one wanted the rest of the stuff, so the resale market is not large. Finally,
    6) it is hypothetically possible to get one from someone that takes requests for custom cables (like Stefan Audio Art), but I cannot even guess as to cost. Actually finally,
    7) you could do it yourself, but I cannot even tell you how to begin (ruining your cable just to get the little connector so you can hook new cable to the driver? etc).

Sorry if this paints a dire picture, but this is what I have discovered ... so far. If anyone has any other info, please tell.

14. BayouSlide
    Soloz Audio offers two different cable upgrades for the 595: I just ordered one.
    Headphone Cables

Can't find the original URL but a PDF is avaiable with cable change instructions from Sennheiser. PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

15. donaldekelly Contributor
    Quote:

Well, I would direct all over the place to search for yourself, but as it happens I recently looked all over the place for myself and this is what I discovered:
    1) It is possible to change the cable, but it involves taking the headphone apart, and possibly soldering (depending on how cable you are actually replacing).
    2) Sennheiser sells replacements, so you can get a stock replacement, but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for (and it still involves taking the headphone apart).
    3) Any cable that works for 580, 590, 600, 650, etc will NOT work for the 595; you must find cables for the 5x5 series (515, 555, 595, and maybe some others...).
    4) Various cable makers used to make sweet recables for the 595, but for some reason have stopped.
    5) I saw someone trying to sell a cable upgrade for the 595 on the FS forum here at head-fi, along with the headphones, but separately; the end result that MANY people wanted the cable, and no one wanted the rest of the stuff, so the resale market is not large. Finally,
    6) it is hypothetically possible to get one from someone that takes requests for custom cables (like Stefan Audio Art), but I cannot even guess as to cost. Actually finally,
    7) you could do it yourself, but I cannot even tell you how to begin (ruining your cable just to get the little connector so you can hook new cable to the driver? etc).

Sorry if this paints a dire picture, but this is what I have discovered ... so far. If anyone has any other info, please tell.

And, if you replace the cable you will have a shorter cable, smaller/safer connector, and your phones will sound...... the same? Better?

First

Back
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
Next

Last