Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #406 of 980
Ok, how do you recable the Senheiser HD 595s?
I was thinking it would be a nice idea to recable with a smaller cable that also has a 1/8" Plug, instead of the 1/4" they come with. That way i wouldn't have to plug to adaptors in order to hook it to my corda move amp or other sources
Is it easy to do? Are there any cables out there that can do this job? Will it be really expensive? Is it worth the money?

Sep 2, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #407 of 980
It's certainly doable, but unlike a lot of Senn cans, it DOES require opening the headphone and soldering (versus just unplugging the stock cable and plugging in a new one like you can do with the HD650, 600, 580, 590, 25-1, to name a few...)

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #409 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's certainly doable, but unlike a lot of Senn cans, it DOES require opening the headphone and soldering (versus just unplugging the stock cable and plugging in a new one like you can do with the HD650, 600, 580, 590, 25-1, to name a few...)

Well then if i have to start soldering i think i'll pass. Too much of a work for something that at this level wouldn't do that much of a difference.

Now all the recabling fans will bite my neck...

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #410 of 980
Quote:

Not true! Cable on HD 595 is detachable easy. It´s not soldered. It´s connected by some kind of mini plugs. You also have manual on Sennheiser site for replacing cable.
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #411 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElephantTLK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true! Cable on HD 595 is detachable easy. It´s not soldered. It´s connected by some kind of mini plugs. You also have manual on Sennheiser site for replacing cable.
wink.gif

I wouldn't call it easy. It requires complete dissassembly of the earcup. And then you'd STILL have to solder new the new cable onto that highly-specialized, non-standard connector.

Here is the link to what's involved: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/HD%205x5%20Kabelmontage_eng.pdf/$File/HD%205x5%20Kabelmontage_eng.pdf

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #412 of 980
Quote:

I'm sorry, but that isn't correct. The HD595 does NOT have a detachable cable with the sub-mini plug. The HD590 uses this, but the 595 does NOT.

Cable on HD595 IS easy detachable. I cannot desribe in english very well. It has some kind of mini connectors inside where is cable plugged in. No soldering. I can prove it to you tomorrow. I will take picture of it.
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #413 of 980
I edited my post, but it ISN'T EASY. I tried it when i owned one. You have to take the WHOLE THING apart. Maybe that is easy for some, but it isn't something just anyone should try. I did post the link to the instructions, so people can decide for themselves. But it DOES require taking the headphones apart, and soldering.

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #414 of 980
I don´t want to argue with you but in the manual isn´t mentioned any soldering. And i will send e-mail to Sennheiser Germany about that.

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #415 of 980
Well i guess he means that to completely recable the HD595's you need to replace the cable that joins both drivers via the diadem. and maybe the other end is soldered to the right speaker. Hence the need to solder it.
On the other side, to do a simple partial recabling will be really noticeable? or given the fact that only is partial is incomplete and will not reach the desired quality?

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #416 of 980
to save the day

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/HD%205x5%20Kabelmontage_eng.pdf/$File/HD%205x5%20Kabelmontage_eng.pdf

ugh looks like you will have to copy and paste

Sep 2, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #417 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElephantTLK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don´t want to argue with you but in the manual isn´t mentioned any soldering. And i will send e-mail to Sennheiser Germany about that.

I promise I would never try to argue with someone who has the first King Crimson album as his avatar
biggrin.gif

I just didn't want people to think it was a simple matter of just unplugging the old cable, as it is with many/most Senn headphones. It's considerably more involved than that, to the point where an instruction guide is needed! It's too bad - I wanted to recable the 595's I had, but ended up selling them, since the recable would have been so invasive it's doubtful that they would have held their value well.

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #418 of 980
I think we're getting confused. The Sennheiser link is an instruction on how to replace damaged cable with same cable, not how to replace the cable with something completely different. A replacement will likely be of different size and will certainly not have the same mini connectors unless so fitted by the manufacturer. Personally I'd forget the idea. A far better plan would be to lobby Sennheiser to bring out a deluxe 595 with better cable and more rigid, less microphonic housing. It's time for a 595 upgrade anyway.

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #420 of 980
MMMmm im soon going to be buying a pair 595's n this thread got me thinking, would i want to recable my these phones later on when i want better sound quality. Its better to know whats possible with the these new phones im getting and i dont want it be such ahassle later down the track when i do decide it needs better cables, or would I be happy just to leave then the way they are?
mmm who knows, i hate this forum argghhhh always putting costly thoughts in my mind!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back