Sennheiser HD580 vs HD595 vs HD600 vs HD650 Reviewed/Compared
May 28, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 22
Nice review! I used to have the HD650 and with a Cardass cable the sound brightens up considerably. I had to sell it but am now looking to buy again. I might go for the HD600 this time though.

May 28, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 22
In many ways, your review is the best Sennheiser review that I've ever seen. I agree with most of your conclusions, too.

Congratulations!

A valuable resource...............

The only problem is that many people around here "want the best," and mistakenly think that the HD650 automatically is the best, based upon price and numerical designation and Sennheiser's statements to that effect alone.

May 28, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 22
Yup its a great review, thumbs up!

May 28, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 22
Funny. What I heard in HD595 (in two occasions, different pairs and one was my own), I could describe it had sound what you wrote on HD580. And what you wrote on HD600 was pretty much what I heard on HD580 when I had it (and loved it!). HD580 had so many good characteristics on treble and mids that my Grado-ears could listen it without problems and HD595 was immidiately repulsive.
confused.gif

BTW. Did you try swapping the grills on HD600 and HD580?

May 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 22
That was a good round-up! Curious though...your summation lists the 650 tops in every category but neutrality, yet you give the 600 best all-around. Was neutrality your sole concern (ie: looking for a "reference" phone), or were you giving any kind of "point scale" to each category?

May 28, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 22
Thanks for the feedbacks!

To MaZa:
No I've not had the chance to swap grills as my intention was to audition them in their stock form (stock cables etc.) Also, I think what you like about the HD580 is its punchy bass with great decay plus an overbright treble. Although this tends to be "rock" characteristic, the slow sound signature couldn't handle any fast passages at all. It was like a 250lbs guy trying to run and catch up, you can imagine the scene.

To Golden Monkey:
About the score, as ive stated in the conclusion, i was looking for a master-class reference headphones. Because the HD600 meets the qualities of true reference headphones and only lags a bit behind the HD650 in frequency response, it was the better choice for me.

May 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedbacks!

To MaZa:
No I've not had the chance to swap grills as my intention was to audition them in their stock form (stock cables etc.) Also, I think what you like about the HD580 is its punchy bass with great decay plus an overbright treble. Although this tends to be "rock" characteristic, the slow sound signature couldn't handle any fast passages at all. It was like a 250lbs guy trying to run and catch up, you can imagine the scene.

Just wanted to know. Since you mentioned that they might have same drivers, it is also commonly claimed that only thing that makes them sound different are the grills. Kinda hoped if you could have tested it.

And no, It wasnt exactly rock characteristics (since only form of "rock" I used it on was Black metal, and that music has pretty much zero use for bass). It was the lack of recessed uppermids, or atleast it wasnt as obvious as on HD595. But you are right, the treble and its extension was very good for my ears, which like brighter presentation. And bass was also rather tight, where HD595 was more confused and muddy down there, but then again it could have been amplifier. In any case, other than smallish soundstage I still dont get how anyone could call HD595 gradoish and forward.
confused.gif
Not atleast in the way I understand those words.

May 28, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #14 of 22
Nice reviews. Thanks for sharing.

May 28, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 22
Nice comparison, I like how you have included nice high res pictures. As for the headphones, I have tried them all and I personally prefered the 650 over the rest and consequently bought it and have not had the urge to change them cos I am quite satisfied

Users who are viewing this thread

Back