Sennheiser HD570, Grado SR80 Which to buy?
Jun 13, 2002 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Haoleb

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am going to get some new headphones to seriously upgrade my Sony MDR-Cd180's that i got for 20 bucks at wal mart. I have been thinking of the Senn HD570's but also added Grado SR80's to the list as well. My budget .... well i dont want to spend over $130 i will not be using these with an amp. they will mainly be plugged into my NAD C-370's headphone out and my Santa Cruz turtle beach sound card for the pc. I would like something comofortable and easy enough to drive for the occasinal use on a portable. And i listen to mainly rock and reggae, no classical or jazz. stuff like that. And they will be used for gaming also, but music is the main concern here. Also, i would like something that doesnt leak out Too much sound. Thank you

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 36
I can't speak from personal experience about the 570s, but the Grados will leak, and leak a lot. I know the 570s are open, so I'd expect them to leak quite a bit as well. If leaking is a big concern for you, you should probably consider closed phones.

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 36
Do a search on both cans and decide. The grados do leak, but I like em.
Many will suggest the sony mdr-v6.
I suggest you purchase the sonys and the koss ksc 35. That way you can have both open and closed cans.
welcome to the forum brah or sistah,
md

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 36
I have had the Grado SR60's and have the HD570's.

The 570's are fairly easy to drive. The SR80's probably a bit harder to drive with portables.

But in my experience with the 570's, they are made (and Sennheiser points this out) for CLASSICAL.

They are very comfortable and don't leak as much as the Grado's.

They do have a peak at the high end which is very noticable. The Grado's also peak at the high end but Grado works magic.....their extra highs sound like beautiful detail. The HD570 highs sound just like too much brightness with some music.

In your case, well, NOT the hd570s. That's what I think. I love the HD570's for portable classical with a solid state amp.

But many other brands have this peak. I would try out some from Headroom Corp, who have the 30 day return policy. In this case, you will need it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 36
i HIGHLY suggest you do what i did. 2 months ago i had the exact same dilemma. after researching alot i found out that the sennheiser HD580's are basically just as good as the 600's which are incredible for a much smaller price. i had the same budget $130 so what did i do. went to ebay and got a pair of Senn 580's for $120 and DAMN is it great. Whatever you do goodluck.
-Chris

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 36
As for comfort, you should know that it might be an issue with the Grados, which some people find uncomfortable. It something you can to try out for yourself though.

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 36
Wow, this place is great. ive posted at audiogon, audioreview and audioasylum and all combined havent had this many replies. To miller dog, it would be brah in Kona. In most of the reviews i read the 570's did seem a bit harsh. but i read the SR80's werent as comfortable also. I was probbaly going to buy from Audio advisor, so i would get the 30 day return thing. Im thinkin the Grado's are sounding good right now, and because they are 30 bucks cheaper i can afford the spare more comfortable ear pads. But i still have some decisions to make. Thanks for the replies. They are all kina pointing me in the same direction as all the others i have gotten. (stay away from the 570's).

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 36
I am listening to my grado 325s right now. They are forward. But I like that and ear bleeding highs. I had the sr80s...with the bowl pads, they sounded close to the 325s, with the comfy pads, all bets are off...you can mod them too...
I would recommend headroom..they got a 30 day return policy. I got my sr60s from them. I'm just saying cause grados ain't exactly the most comfortable cans around...lol
laters,
md

Jun 13, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 36
No Contest- get the SR80's. I got mine for $82 (+ tax) at a local high-end audio shop. The "clamping tension" is easily adjustable (they have a metal band) & the bowl pads soften up nicely with a gentle washing or two. If you prefer flatter pads, Radio Shack has cheap ($3) replacement pads (#33-379) which fit perfectly. Some prefer those flat pads- & you can cut a small (nickel-size) hole in the center if you want better hi's with these replacement pads.
Enjoy.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back