Sennheiser HD558 right chanell vibration
Sep 6, 2011 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mataso

New Head-Fier
Bought new HD558 for my Xonar Essence ST. Fired up and noticed strange vibration (distortion) from right chanell. Anything I can do myself or just RMA?

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 16
Sounds like channel imbalance

Unplug everything
replug
play again
turn volume up and down

anything?

Then check cable for breaks.

Best bet:

Your detachable cable isn't in all the way

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 16
Actually sounds like you're over driving them.
Like double amping

You get a lot of the same effect with IEM's and home units

But the HD558 are different.

Clean them well. No air cans, no water, no towels, no q tips. Blow lightly after taking apart.

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 16
Take apart headphones

(Look up HD555 tape mod for videos of deconstruction)

Lightly blow the driver (enough to blow a sheet of paper off your desk) Inside and out.

Assemble

I'm not sure about hair and the HD5xx series. I've never had the problem myself.

Over amping is caused by too much power going to them. But you would be running a 600ohm standard system to distort the HD598's.

Other then that, your connections, sound and audio your using

If you're running phono (tunrtable) your preamp might not be compitable with the table or the receiver. But this is way less likely.

EDIT: Lastly, your cans are fried. Either send them into to Senn to fix (around $80 I think) or just buy new ones. sorry for your loss

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Actually sounds like you're over driving them.
Like double amping

You get a lot of the same effect with IEM's and home units

But the HD558 are different.

Clean them well. No air cans, no water, no towels, no q tips. Blow lightly after taking apart.

if overdrive was the case, why would it be only one driver?

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
They are under warranty, why I should pay money for fixing them?

H#ll YEAH

Call them up and don't take them apart. Describe what's going on and they'lll tell you to send them in

You pay for shipping, but free fix, hopefully

Say that you have a warranty. That's why we don't have problems with Koss here. Anyone asks "Koss has lifetime warranty"

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 16
Hmm still no response from Senn:frowning2: As I mentioned that vibration (rattling) digs up only at more heavy bass sessions, higher volume. For example, listening Komytea - Lines track, vibration isn't noticable at 30% volume, but at 32% it becomes visible and increases with pushing the volume up. Maybe a driver is a bit loose inside, o something else... In my opinion, hair can't be stuck inside, cause they are new.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Hmm still no response from Senn:frowning2: As I mentioned that vibration (rattling) digs up only at more heavy bass sessions, higher volume. For example, listening Komytea - Lines track, vibration isn't noticable at 30% volume, but at 32% it becomes visible and increases with pushing the volume up. Maybe a driver is a bit loose inside, o something else... In my opinion, hair can't be stuck inside, cause they are new.

Againg, that is a symptom of a damaged driver, If it were a grado It would be the infmous "grattle". It happened with my MS1.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 16
Sennseiher told to send my HD558 to oficial local distributor. Will do it tomorrow. If the driver is faulty, can it be repaired, or it must be replaced to the new one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back