Sennheiser HD558 cable
Mar 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

dsdragon83

New Head-Fier
First off let me say I did search the forum and was unable to find an answer to my question. I picked up a pair of HD558s that I plan on using for gaming. I need a 1/8" stereo jack on them, and really don't like using the adapter. I know I can cut the plug off of the stock cable, but don't want to if I don't have to.

On the detachable cable it has a 2.5mm TRRS connector and when I tested it with a multi meter the last ring and sleeve are both ground. I have also found out that the locking portion on the headset can be removed by taking out 2 screws leaving a 2.5mm TRRS jack in the headset. My question is does anyone know if there would be any harm if I plug a 2.5mm TRS connector in instead of the TRRS connector on the headphone end? I am thinking about making a cable for them.

By everything I have learned I didn't think it would because the last Ring and Sleeve on the TRRS are both ground and if I plug a TRS connector into that jack both of the ground contacts would be connected to the sleeve. I know I would be loosing dedicated grounds at the headphone end, but the connector going into the equipment is a stereo connector any way and only has 1 ground point.

Any thought or input would be helpful.

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 48
Last I heard, Sennheiser will be coming out with the 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable.....but when?

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 48
Tonight I ended up testing out what I though, and it worked.  I had a TRS 2.5mm cable so I opened the headphones up and unscrewed the locking ring.  Once it is removed I was able to slide the 2.5mm cable into place, then tested it again with the multi-meter to make sure that the left, right, and ground were still correct.  After checking and double checking everything I plugged them in and they worked exactly like with the 4 pole factory cable except with a 3.5mm plug and about 1/3 the length.

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 48
Good to know man, do you have pics of your small project? it will be useful for head-fi'ers

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 48
I don't have any right now, but I will take some and post them here tomorrow.

I decided to go ahead and take some pictures of it. I am planning on using this for a gaming headset so there is a mic attached to the side of it.  If the pictures are too big let me know and I will resize them.

Here is the headset with the test cable and mic. 

This is the cable I used for right now to test with. It is the XBox 360 chat cable that came with my Astro Mixamp.

Remove the 4 screws shown here and then the plastic locking piece will come out. After the locking ring is removed screw the PCB back in place.

this is the piece you want to remove

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 48
Awesome info dsdragon - I thought I was stuck with stock for my 598s but you've opened up the world of easy recabling to us. Thx for the pics too - really helpful.

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 48
Glad i could be some help. Also i forgot to mention that if anyone recables and uses a 4 pole connecton, like the one that was originally used, make sure that the last two connections (the last ring and sleve)are the ground. I dont want anyone shorting out their headset.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 48
I was inspired by this post and went to my local radioshack to find a 2.5mm cable. They didn't have one, but they did have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter for like 6 dollars, which can be easily sanded down to fit snugly inside the input port with no modification of the headphone! it works fine, and can be used with any 3.5mm cable :D

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 48
I found an adapter on ebay that fits perfect once you remove the locking ring.  Here is the ebay link, and a picture of the adapter.  I just got it in from china but is an exact fit. it is a 3.5mm stereo female to 2.5mm male 4 pole adapter. Ignore the velcro in the pic, that is for my labtec mic so I can use the headphones while gaming.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260954472351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 48
How tightly does that adapter fit into the headphone? That one looks much nicer than the one I have, but the first one I bought looked like that and it kept coming unplugged during normal use

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 48
The one I received fits very well, and has not fallen out of my headset, but if the cable gets caught on something, or pulled on hard it will come out. My first thought was to take the factory cable, cut off the end that goes into the headset and attach a 3.5mm stereo female plug to it, but decided not to for now.  If the adapter is loose I would think a small amount of electrical tape or some heat shrink my also add enough friction to keep it in place.

May 14, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:
I found an adapter on ebay that fits perfect once you remove the locking ring.  Here is the ebay link, and a picture of the adapter.  I just got it in from china but is an exact fit. it is a 3.5mm stereo female to 2.5mm male 4 pole adapter. Ignore the velcro in the pic, that is for my labtec mic so I can use the headphones while gaming.

You are a godsend

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #14 of 48
+1 for Maplin in the UK, they do them too. Albeit at a much higher price...
Quote:
I was inspired by this post and went to my local radioshack to find a 2.5mm cable. They didn't have one, but they did have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter for like 6 dollars, which can be easily sanded down to fit snugly inside the input port with no modification of the headphone! it works fine, and can be used with any 3.5mm cable :D

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #15 of 48
Wanted to share this.

Apparently the cable from the Momentum fit an works with the Sennheiser HD's, I ordered this cable which come with the microphone and should be a direct fit.

Once I get it will post how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back