Sennheiser HD555 unamped or Denon D1000 unamped?
Nov 12, 2008 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

hear_the_sound

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Posts
95
Likes
0
Hi guys,
I've narrowed my buying choices down to these two. I will be using the headphones for at-home use to listen to music on my ipod. I don't plan to use an amp. Sound isolation doesn't matter to me - I know HD555 is open and D1000 is closed, and I know both are comfortable.
Which has the better sound quality in general? I listen to all genres.
I like clear, vibrant music, and an open sound stage. I like details too, but will be using the headphones to enjoy music, not analyze it. I'm not a bass head, but like some bass. Can't stand muffled, veiled sounds. Thanks : )
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 14

scott_d_m

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 2, 2007
Posts
769
Likes
16
Personally, I don't like either of these phones straight out of an ipod as much as liked the MS1 out of an ipod. The MS1 are sure to give you at least the clear and vibrant music, but may lack in the sound stage department. Either way these are very good unamped.

I hope this helps.
 
Nov 12, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 14

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Posts
3,588
Likes
33
HD555 sound quite laid back with an ipod directly...even though volume is loud enuff.
u mite enjoy the midrange but Bass lacks that tightness unamped


u start getting bored of it..

i never heard denon so cant comment on it
 
Nov 15, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 14

sailboat

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 26, 2007
Posts
190
Likes
11
I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them. But from reading the forums, seems like the Denons would be a better buy for the money, especially if you can find them cheaper.
 
Nov 15, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 14

googan

Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 16, 2008
Posts
73
Likes
11
I have both. They are on a very similar level in terms of SQ. Very different sound signature though. HD555s are heavily mid-centric. D1001's mids are recessed but have better highs and lows.

D1001s gain much from recabling. For music I choose my Denons 98% of the time now. HD555 I use only for movies, gaming and sometimes for acoustic/rock (rarely).
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 14

hear_the_sound

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Posts
95
Likes
0
Hi guys,
I've ruled out the HD555 because it seems to be more expensive than the D1000, but with inferior sound quality. Also, I don't like the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter which is about as long as my ipod!

So D1000 vs AD700
The AD700 looks very big and intimidating...I think I have an average sized head. Will I be able to wear them without feeling the need to balance them on my head every time I move? I will be using the headphones primarily at home but I do need to tilt my head, maybe walk around, etc. Another worry is the appearance..I know headphones are for sound but if I did decide to take these to the library with me, I don't want to look like a total freak
tongue.gif
Somebody please tell me they look cooler in person than in the pictures.
My understanding is that the AD700 has superior sound quality to the D1000 except for in the bass department. I really don't like the idea of recessed mids on the D1000. Do you think the sound quality on the AD700 is so superior to justify the size and look?

Thank you
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 14

Tacoboy

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Posts
678
Likes
19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hear_the_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,
I've ruled out the HD555 because it seems to be more expensive than the D1000, but with inferior sound quality. Also, I don't like the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter which is about as long as my ipod!

So D1000 vs AD700
The AD700 looks very big and intimidating...I think I have an average sized head. Will I be able to wear them without feeling the need to balance them on my head every time I move? I will be using the headphones primarily at home but I do need to tilt my head, maybe walk around, etc. Another worry is the appearance..I know headphones are for sound but if I did decide to take these to the library with me, I don't want to look like a total freak
tongue.gif
Somebody please tell me they look cooler in person than in the pictures.
My understanding is that the AD700 has superior sound quality to the D1000 except for in the bass department. I really don't like the idea of recessed mids on the D1000. Do you think the sound quality on the AD700 is so superior to justify the size and look?

Thank you



The Audio Technica AD700s are "open" headphones and the Denon 1000/1001 are "closed" headphones.
Correct me If I'm worng.
Also Denon 1001Ks are now on sale for around $20-$30 cheaper then the AD700s, just shop around the mail order places.
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 14

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Posts
4,661
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hear_the_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another worry is the appearance..I know headphones are for sound but if I did decide to take these to the library with me, I don't want to look like a total freak
tongue.gif



Open headphones like the AD700 freely leak sound out and thus are not for use in a library or any other place where others would be bothered by the sound leaking out. So, I suggest buying the AD700 for home use, not sure how hard it clamps. The D1001 could be used in a library at lower volumes.
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 14

hear_the_sound

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Posts
95
Likes
0
Noise cancellation/leakage is really not one of my concerns because I'm buying the headphones primarily for at home use.
Can someone answer these questions about the AD700 please:

Do you think the sound quality on the AD700 is so superior to justify the size and look?

Would someone with an average sized head have to balance the headphones on his/her head due to the headphone being too loose?

How much sound do the AD700 leak compared to the Senn PX100?

Would you look absolutely ridiculous seen in public with these? Or even walking around your house, seen by your siblings or parents?
tongue.gif


Ty!
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 14

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Posts
4,661
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hear_the_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noise cancellation/leakage is really not one of my concerns because I'm buying the headphones primarily for at home use.
Can someone answer these questions about the AD700 please:

Do you think the sound quality on the AD700 is so superior to justify the size and look?

Would someone with an average sized head have to balance the headphones on his/her head due to the headphone being too loose?

How much sound do the AD700 leak compared to the Senn PX100?

Would you look absolutely ridiculous seen in public with these? Or even walking around your house, seen by your siblings or parents?
tongue.gif


Ty!



FWIR...

Yes, the AD700 would sound better to you (as defined by your posts), and that would justify its size and look if you don't use it in public.

After reading more about the AD700, I am convinced it fits loose on smaller heads, OK for average size if not moving around, but it can be safely and effectively tightened by bending the top bars.

The AD700 probably leaks slightly less than the PX100 because of its enclosure. The PX100 leaks a 10/10. The AD700 leaks a 8/10 to 9/10. Thus, others will hear what you are listening to and potentially be bothered by it. The D1001 leaks maybe a 3/10 by comparison and not bother others at lower volumes.

You would look ridiculous wearing the AD700 in public. Your siblings will ridicule you mostly because that's what siblings do, but your parents will love you nonetheless.
 
Dec 2, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #14 of 14

OperatorPerry

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 29, 2009
Posts
118
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR...

Yes, the AD700 would sound better to you (as defined by your posts), and that would justify its size and look if you don't use it in public.

After reading more about the AD700, I am convinced it fits loose on smaller heads, OK for average size if not moving around, but it can be safely and effectively tightened by bending the top bars.

The AD700 probably leaks slightly less than the PX100 because of its enclosure. The PX100 leaks a 10/10. The AD700 leaks a 8/10 to 9/10. Thus, others will hear what you are listening to and potentially be bothered by it. The D1001 leaks maybe a 3/10 by comparison and not bother others at lower volumes.

You would look ridiculous wearing the AD700 in public. Your siblings will ridicule you mostly because that's what siblings do, but your parents will love you nonetheless.



How would you say the D1001's are for gaming? Would I hear footsteps easily in COD4? Would the AD700's or the D1001's benefit from the Fiio E1? I'm a no0b in the headphone department so I need a little help.

OperatorPerry
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top