Sennheiser HD555 Review
Sep 24, 2010 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

FreezingHazard

New Head-Fier
Let's dig right in.

BASS 4.0/5.0
The bass is just in the "perfect" zone, to fit mostly anyone. It isn't too big not too low. I found the bass to be lacking just a tiny but some may disagree. It is very detailed bass and you won't find much mud in here. Great bass for general audio but not for huge explosions.

TREBLE 2.9/5.0
Treble is not very good IMO. After break in it decreases but is still very much there. It sounds at some point literally like a knife scraping metal, I see it as a flaw nothing less. If the treble was decreased just a little these headphones could easily compete with top of the line contenders. BUT the treble has disrupted. I mean OKAY it isn't that bad, but it really is noticeable.

MIDDLE 4.5/5.0
I think the middles are a strong point in these phones, they are right where they should be providing analytical sound and smoothness with nothing in-between. That is why these are such a big hit for starters they have a great middle.

CLARITY 3.9/5.0
Clarity, well, is very very detailed DO NOT get me wrong. But if you are the one seeking the uttermost detailed sound I suggest looking for something else, but at this price you can't get much better detail.

OVERALL
These headphones are worth every penny and can't get much better for the price. I think even upgrading to the 595 won't do any good as these are great where they are at.

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 19
Sep 24, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
TREBLE 2.9/5.0
Treble is not very good IMO. After break in it decreases but is still very much there. It sounds at some point literally like a knife scraping metal, I see it as a flaw nothing less. If the treble was decreased just a little these headphones could easily compete with top of the line contenders. BUT the treble has disrupted. I mean OKAY it isn't that bad, but it really is noticeable.

Something wrong with your equipment. I've had mine for three days and the treble is very smooth, clear and natural. Might not reach up to the stratosphere but what's there is very nice.

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 19
Excellent review. Keep in mind people this is his opinion, feathers should not be ruffled. I am curious how you hook them up to your gaming systems. Could you explain please?

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 19
Mhm no huge complaints with treble for me. To me, its the mids that sound veiled and unnatural. But hey what did I expect for phones in this price range
biggrin.gif
. Theyre ok to listen to and that works for now.

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 19
Yeah the soundstage is another plus I forgot to add. The soundstage on these things are ridiculous and it has the best accuracy i've heard.

But yeah I don't expect everyone to agree on my review and if you all did then the phrase audiophile would never exist.

As for hookup I did a RCA to female 3.5mm stereo and it drove these headphones incredibly well. The power that most entertainment devices pump out are well enough for these headphones.

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
Mhm no huge complaints with treble for me. To me, its the mids that sound veiled and unnatural. But hey what did I expect for phones in this price range
biggrin.gif
" width="" />" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="" />" width="" />. Theyre ok to listen to and that works for now.

I wouldn't say that just yet. My 280's I got for $99 at Guitar Center and they sounded pretty sweet. Maybe lowering our expectations is a good thing so that at a later time we can be blown away if what they say about burn in is true.

Plus if there is one thing we all share in common is everyone saying the 555 sounded horrible when they first got them. I don't think it's your mind playing tricks on you if it takes 6 whole months for some people to say it started sounding better. The brain/body adapts pretty fast and 6 months is definitely not fast. lol

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
As for hookup I did a RCA to female 3.5mm stereo and it drove these headphones incredibly well. The power that most entertainment devices pump out are well enough for these headphones.

My iPod Touch gets the HD555s PLENTY loud, but they sound terrible. At the same volume, running them through my Xonar DX brings about a huge difference. I think you should try them out on something amped and dedicated for headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back