Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Mar 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #121 of 1,140
LOL, damn.. my wallet hates me for joining head fi...
Quote:
Foam modding them makes the soundstage seem deeper, but at the same time makes it sound further away (because it's deeper) so the details and stuff are less forward.

Yea, I think that makes sense. That explains why I experience the slightly bigger soundstage with the details slightly less noticeable.

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #122 of 1,140
I'm glad that you made these posts. Details in the music are more important to me than a slight increase in the soundstage. I think I'll leave my 558s un modded.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #123 of 1,140
Again, removing the foam can only lessen the distortion from sound waves that bounce back and change the waveform that is traveling towards your ear. It does not make sense to stick foam in an open headphone. One can only assume Sennheiser did it to make them sound worse than the HD 598's.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #124 of 1,140
Quote:
I'm glad that you made these posts. Details in the music are more important to me than a slight increase in the soundstage. I think I'll leave my 558s un modded.

No problem. I just wanted to let others know not to get their hopes up and expect something amazing from this mod, like I did.
I'm not saying you shouldn't do the mod or that it's bad in any way.
I recommend you try the mod if you ever have the time and are just bored (like I was) since it's totally reversible anyway. You have nothing to lose (other than warranty?)
In the end, it's all personal preference. You may like the modded sound over the unmodded or vice versa.
Cheers :)

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #125 of 1,140

My modded HD558 
beerchug.gif
Makes it even more wonderful headphone
gs1000.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #128 of 1,140
Damn haha. Now that's truly an open headphone.

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #129 of 1,140

My modded HD558  :beerchug: Makes it even more wonderful headphone :gs1000smile:

How did you do it?? Isnt it single piece earcup? How does it sound now?

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #130 of 1,140
Quote:
No problem. I just wanted to let others know not to get their hopes up and expect something amazing from this mod, like I did.
I'm not saying you shouldn't do the mod or that it's bad in any way.
I recommend you try the mod if you ever have the time and are just bored (like I was) since it's totally reversible anyway. You have nothing to lose (other than warranty?)
In the end, it's all personal preference. You may like the modded sound over the unmodded or vice versa.
Cheers :)

Yeah i agree 100%, It's personal preference and you shouldn't take anyone's word until you try it out yourself, the mod is easy, too easy. The next 5XX series Sennheiser release will probably weld them shut to avoid this lol

For me i recognized a difference instantly. The mod seems to make them louder, more bass, less forward mids but still louder and before the mod it felt like it had that "veil" sound everyone talks about for sennheiser, well, it definitely removed the "veil" ... I also saw a post on here and he put duct tape in replacement of the foam, i gave it a try and it seemed, IT SEEMED to tighten up the bass more and still has the oomph in the bass.

LOL at that mod! Guy went H A M on his headphones lmao 

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #131 of 1,140
The cups are assembled to be a single piece, somewhat, but the grill can definitely be removed.  It is held in place by melted plastic or glue of sorts.

Pic of my modified headphone:

So the dynamat just makes it sound noticeably cleaner.  Foam tape is removed.

On another note, but I haven't and will not bother to try this since I am looking to trade away HD558:

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #132 of 1,140
Quote:
The cups are assembled to be a single piece, somewhat, but the grill can definitely be removed.  It is held in place by melted plastic or glue of sorts.

Pic of my modified headphone:

So the dynamat just makes it sound noticeably cleaner.  Foam tape is removed.

On another note, but I haven't and will not bother to try this since I am looking to trade away HD558:

No i have tried before, the glue actually holds the silver ring/rim in place, then i saw that the grill and earcup is in face a single piece.
So i assume the only way to remove it is to cut it open.
Also sennheiser didn't try to downgrade the headphone with the foam, it was just trying to have a different sound, with the sound being more upbeat and focused with it and being more laidback and surround-ish with the HD598.a

Also i have tried duct tape before in the earcup, the bass was very strong and punchy after that, but it took away the airyness to the sound so i removed it anyway.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #133 of 1,140
Quote:
Also i have tried duct tape before in the earcup, the bass was very strong and punchy after that, but it took away the airyness to the sound so i removed it anyway.

God damnit streetdragon! You always take a big **** on my dreams! hahahaha

Now i gotta test this for myself, do i want bass or airyness? Ahhh decisions decisions! 

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #134 of 1,140
Quote:

God damnit streetdragon! You always take a big **** on my dreams! hahahaha

Now i gotta test this for myself, do i want bass or airyness? Ahhh decisions decisions! 

also to add on, i found out that the place of the grill nearest to the hinge attachment is a good place to place whatever material you want, if you put duct tape there (1.0 cm x 1.5 cm piece?) you can really add a lot of bass punch while loosing not too much airyness. For me personally i placed a piece of the stock foam inside there (yes i cut it up) to increase the bass, the stock foam doesn't take away as much airyness as the ducttape though. (but at the same time doesnt add much bass either, think of it as a milder material)

i know the feeling bro, decisions,decisions..
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #135 of 1,140
Again, removing the foam can only lessen the distortion from sound waves that bounce back and change the waveform that is traveling towards your ear. It does not make sense to stick foam in an open headphone. One can only assume Sennheiser did it to make them sound worse than the HD 598's.

Hi! I have both headphones, the 558 and the 598, and I never did the foam mod to the 558. I do not belive that the 558 with the foam sounds worse than the 598; they are different, and for some music I like the 558 better; for example, I enjoy Rubber Soul (The Beatles) more while using the 558.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back