Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #106 of 1,140
tdockweiler, do you mean all Fiios or just the E10? My 558s sound good with the E7 (but it is my only experience with these headphones). I would be interested if someone answers my inquiries about recommendations for an inexpensive tube amp for the 558s.

Read up on tube amps then. Start with the Little Dot I+.

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #107 of 1,140
FiiO E10 with my 558's sound alright.... i don't have anything else to compare it to. It beats the hell outta my on board sound card though.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #108 of 1,140
I am looking for an amp\dac for my 558, leaning towards the e-17 for spdif so my $40 xonar sound card can pull its weight with the digital output. Looking forward to hearing these cans sing. The 558 has yet to stop impressing me even after 6 months!

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #109 of 1,140
Quote:
I am looking for an amp\dac for my 558, leaning towards the e-17 for spdif so my $40 xonar sound card can pull its weight with the digital output. Looking forward to hearing these cans sing. The 558 has yet to stop impressing me even after 6 months!

I currently use an Xduoo XD-02. 
Another good option is the C-entrace DAC port,  
the XD-02 giving a more smooth and deeper sound while the DACport has a more fun sound.

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #110 of 1,140
I use an e7 which I have used with the HD558 since I got them a couple of months ago. It sounds great! I understand that the e17 is a big step up in quality but the same small size. Sounds like a good bet.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #114 of 1,140
I finally did the foam mod after about 7-8 months of owning my pair. I honestly have to say I'm not impressed.
Maybe my expectations were way too high from reading all the comments of how the change was "night and day" and super drastic.
There is a slight difference... I feel that it opens up the soundstage just a bit more in the way that it is more "air-y" or "space-y"... lol I'm bad at explaining.
But at the same time, I also feel that there was just a bit of loss in details.
As for bass... maybe it is just ever so slightly punchier? But I really can't tell the difference...
I'll probably end up putting the foam back in soon.. Either way, I still love these headphones :)

By the way, I'm powering them with a SoundBlaster Audigy SE... which may be the reason why I'm not noticing a huge difference? Or maybe my ears are just untrained.
I'm planning to get a better DAC, and possibly an amp later this year.. any suggestions? Been looking at the Fiio E10

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #115 of 1,140
It certainly does not make them less detailed, removing the foam is bound to lower the distortion a bit. Improved dynamics is also a possibility but I did not notice that. 

I did not notice much a difference either except the sound stage.

IMO the HD 558's are worth getting a good source for, they really impressed me. An ODAC/O2 would not hurt although I cannot guarantee that you will hear much of a difference because the creative card could be perfectly fine. . . no idea really.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #116 of 1,140
Quote:
I finally did the foam mod after about 7-8 months of owning my pair. I honestly have to say I'm not impressed.
Maybe my expectations were way too high from reading all the comments of how the change was "night and day" and super drastic.
There is a slight difference... I feel that it opens up the soundstage just a bit more in the way that it is more "air-y" or "space-y"... lol I'm bad at explaining.
As for bass... maybe it is just ever so slightly punchier? But I really can't tell the difference...
I'll probably end up putting the foam back in soon.. Either way, I still love these headphones :)

By the way, I'm powering them with a SoundBlaster Audigy SE... which may be the reason why I'm not noticing a huge difference? Or maybe my ears are just untrained.
I'm planning to get a better DAC, and possibly an amp later this year.. any suggestions? Been looking at the Fiio E10

I have that setup (HD 558 and FiiO e10).... i wasn't impressed initially but it did grow on me a lot. It easily drives these cans. It does make the headphones more clear, more detailed, more bass punch. As for sound stage not much of a difference but keep in mind that my on board soundcard and DAC on my laptop would be different then yours (old hp laptop). I've also read that the FiiO E10 makes these headphones even more "darker"... that's a good thing for me because i don't like "bright" sound at all. You can only use the FiiO E10 on your computer for headphone use because it only has a usb-in, every thing else in out.... you will need something else to hook it up to a tv with a gaming console or something... (i learned about this after i invested).

I've heard good things about the cmoybb headphone amplifier, that will probably be my next investment, then again that's why i bought the E10, i don't want the hassle of charging batteries.. or i might just go all out and get a real good amp/dac in the higher price range. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #117 of 1,140
Quote:

lol, not a "night and day" difference by a long shot.  Did you notice bass and mids tighten up somewhat?  Improved bass clarity?  There's probably a slight change in FR overall, hence the "bit of loss" of details - or rather, they probably aren't sticking out like they were before, is all.

FiiO units may be okay, or any Audio-gd, Yulong, or Keces units probably will be.  The Schiit stack might be good, read up on it.  In general, HD558 will sound best with amplifiers that have very low output impedance, and probably not too much warmth.  I'm not sure if a bright-sounding DAC or amplifier might make 558 fatiguing.

There's a particular treble peak that bothers me occasionally depending on the equipment and music I use 558 with, that might be the main reason for the foam tapes, otherwise the headphone doesn't really need them in my opinion.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #118 of 1,140
Thanks for all the responses, and lol yea I just read a lot of "wow! SOOO much better" comments, so I guess my expectations were too high. Like I said, the bass is ever so slightly "punchier" or "tighter", I guess. But all these changes are so minor that I was underwhelmed.
I did a quick search on the Schiit stack (Magni = amp and Mogi = DAC?) but it goes for around $200? I guess I shoulda mentioned my budget. I am willing to spend at most $100. But does it really make sense to spend more on your DAC+amp than your headphones? (I got my HD558 for $130)

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #119 of 1,140
Yeah.  <$100 equipment only gets you so far. 
evil_smiley.gif

Most entry-level equipment cost around $500 and under if I'm not mistaken.  None of that will be too good for 558.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #120 of 1,140
Foam modding them makes the soundstage seem deeper, but at the same time makes it sound further away (because it's deeper) so the details and stuff are less forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back