Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Jan 13, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #859 of 1,140
Thank you both for the interest.

Cable is made by amazing master Konstantin from Latvia. Just Google Lavricables and you will understand what I exactly mean by saying amazing. In my opinion he crafts one of the most marvelous cables for all possible applications. I am very happy I accidentally stumbled upon his eBay page. His customer service, answer and dispatchment times are simply out of this world. Yep, this custom eight core version is priced very aggressively (but I still think he is underpricing his stuff) and honestly speaking I cannot image anyone buying this cable, this is just my crazy intention to push the limits of my HD598.

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #864 of 1,140
I got these from a guy from eBay... Lok

If it's fake I'm more concerned about the material used to make it cause that can affect the acoustics quite a lot.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #867 of 1,140
I have to commend these headphones for what they do. I don't have good headphones to pair them to, but one of my friends helped me get a pair of HD 518's and at first they sounded pretty great compared to what I used to listen to with headphones that have little impedance and are cheapos at around 5-30 bucks. So, directly speaking I come from the land of cruddy earbuds and headphones who's audio quality is so vastly inferior to these.

After breaking them, and understanding the music I listen to and setting EQ adjustments as needed in Foobar 2000 with a downloaded 30-band EQ to it, they sounded alot better. After they broke in more I was blown away.

My friend walked me through the process of carefully removing the grill, and the soundstage actually opened up a little bit more, but at the cost of noticeably loosing a little of it's lower-mid & lower frequency ranges.

I concluded that the 518s midrange and treble were dissected by the headphones and presented so very well that I felt only minor EQ adjustments were needed, the only thing that may need a real boost was the bass which the added EQ to Foobar I got provided, without distortion thanks to a gain control function it now has. Bass boosting was still a little more on the minor side though, as I didn't want to be flexing the speakers so much from bass that it would drown out the midrange and treb freqs.

So I'm extremely happy with the purchase we made on these, and I don't think I can look back and settle for less.

On another note, I'm currently looking for a headphone amp for these 518's since they're around 60 Ohms. My little 7 year old Altec Lansing 2.0's just died (They actually didn't even sound bad, they were pretty good sounding even though they had no bass) and they don't carry on right-channel audio through it's speaker or to the headphones, which I relied on them to power my Senns since they have built in amps.

So if anyone has any recommendations on great amps to pair with the 5xx series it would help alot, can't be above 120 bucks though. Not sure why any amp has to be expensive either, all it's doing is just amplifying the signal. Though, preferably one that boosts the lower end freqs a bit more too, since the Senns design makes them naturally bass-lacking

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #869 of 1,140
  I have to commend these headphones for what they do. I don't have good headphones to pair them to, but one of my friends helped me get a pair of HD 518's and at first they sounded pretty great compared to what I used to listen to with headphones that have little impedance and are cheapos at around 5-30 bucks. So, directly speaking I come from the land of cruddy earbuds and headphones who's audio quality is so vastly inferior to these.

After breaking them, and understanding the music I listen to and setting EQ adjustments as needed in Foobar 2000 with a downloaded 30-band EQ to it, they sounded alot better. After they broke in more I was blown away.

My friend walked me through the process of carefully removing the grill, and the soundstage actually opened up a little bit more, but at the cost of noticeably loosing a little of it's lower-mid & lower frequency ranges.

I concluded that the 518s midrange and treble were dissected by the headphones and presented so very well that I felt only minor EQ adjustments were needed, the only thing that may need a real boost was the bass which the added EQ to Foobar I got provided, without distortion thanks to a gain control function it now has. Bass boosting was still a little more on the minor side though, as I didn't want to be flexing the speakers so much from bass that it would drown out the midrange and treb freqs.

So I'm extremely happy with the purchase we made on these, and I don't think I can look back and settle for less.

On another note, I'm currently looking for a headphone amp for these 518's since they're around 60 Ohms. My little 7 year old Altec Lansing 2.0's just died (They actually didn't even sound bad, they were pretty good sounding even though they had no bass) and they don't carry on right-channel audio through it's speaker or to the headphones, which I relied on them to power my Senns since they have built in amps.

So if anyone has any recommendations on great amps to pair with the 5xx series it would help alot, can't be above 120 bucks though. Not sure why any amp has to be expensive either, all it's doing is just amplifying the signal. Though, preferably one that boosts the lower end freqs a bit more too, since the Senns design makes them naturally bass-lacking

Amps with bad grounding and circuitry can suffer from electronic hiss, especially with higher outputs/gain. I could recommend the FiiO E07K (which I own, it's an amp/DAC), or the E11. The E07K is around $90 on Amazon, while the E11 is $70.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #870 of 1,140
Yes my friend recommended the E07K, so it's one I probably will be set on trying to get. Will just take some time though..

I can live without actual speakers but, no sound at all is a huge bummer, since I listen to music on a very regular basis, it's my addiction which my cans brought out beautifully (imo).

So for now, I just had the 518's plugged directly into the 3.5mm output on the back of the computer without any amplification so the sound levels aren't satisfactory, but at least I can hear something.

Just to top it off, the clarity of the music, even the Extreme Metal that I listen to which is so thick, warm and chaotic, eventually wasn't even a challenge for these once they got broken in, and I can actually deal with a fully flat EQ setting without any gains or lowers in Frequencies, bass freqs are an exception though, but I'm sure the E07K can deliver since it has bass control functions, so for now it seems like a really great match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back