Sennheiser HD490 for Portable Cd Player
Oct 24, 2001 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 10
Well, the 490 does not have a good reputation around here or Headroom. I'm sure some of the people that have heard it will be along shortly. Any sort of sound characteristics you're looking for in particular? The Sony V6 is a pretty good headphone for portables...

Oct 24, 2001 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 10
I just really want good headphones that will work with a portable cd player because that's all i'm going to use them for.i'm currently using sony mdr-g56 that my sister gave me but they suck.i also have sony mdr-7504 but they play basically the same as the sony mdr-g56.or maybe i should buy a amp for my portable and use the sony mdr-7504.any suggestions?

Oct 24, 2001 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 10
DARKBLUE!, if you are looking for a musical headphone that is good for portables the Denon AH-D950 is a good choice. The Sony MDR-V6 is also excellent, but a little more analytical. Good luck!

Oct 24, 2001 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 10
Nah, forget about the MDR-7504. Just get a V6. The Denon 950s previously suggested are also good. You don't need an amp for either one.

Oct 24, 2001 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 10
I bought some senn 495's for my portable, and found I needed an amp. You probably dont want to buy an amp..so I would reccomend the Sony V6, they have an excellent reputation, and I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Oct 24, 2001 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Well, let's see here......

why did you post two threads?

Anyways, I'll see if I can shed some light, consolidate some of the information that others have given....here are the headphones you should be considering. Info is hearsay, except with the KSC-35's.

Koss KSC-35 (small, cheap, earclips, open, balanced sound)

Koss Sportapro (small, cheap, open, normal headband, bassy)

Koss KSC-55 (small, cheap, behind-the-neck, open, bassy)

Sennheiser MX-500 (small, cheap, earbud, open, balanced)

Sony MDR-888 (small, slightly expensive, earbud, open, midrang-y and musical)

Sony MDR-EX70LP (small, slightly expensive, ear-canal earphone, closed bassy)

Sony MDR-V6 (midsized, slightly expensive, closed, accurate, can fold)

Sennheiser HD495 (midsized, expensive, open, accurate but musical, kinda hard to drive)

Koss UR-20 (full sized, cheap, closed, bassy)

Koss UR-30 (full sized, cheap, closed, bassy, can fold)

Philips HP550 (full sized, cheap, closed, accurate)

Denon AHD-750 (full sized, closed, expensive, accurate but musical)

Denon AHD-950 (full sized, closed, expensive, accurate but musical)

Etymotic ER4P (small, ear-canal earphone, closed, EXPEEENNNNSIVE, god's gift to earphone lovers)

Beyerdynamic DT250-80 (midsized, closed, EXPENSIVE, accurate, kinda hard to drive)

Sennheiser HD25 (midsized, closed, EXPENSIVE, accurate, ?can fold?)

Oct 25, 2001 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 10
DARKBLUE!, the Sennheiser HD490 is one hard-to-drive Piece of Crap. Neither the HD490 nor the far superior HD495 is recommended for portable use without an amp, IMHO, due to their relatively low sensitivity (91dB/mW) for such low-impedance (32-ohm) headphones.

Oct 25, 2001 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 10
... the only thing the HD490 has going for it (for me, anyway) is the colour (black) and the comfort. other than that, forget about it, especially for use with a portable. unless you like having to crank it up to 10 just to (barely) hear what's going on.

hey, i got suckered into buying that piece of crap and i still hate myself 6 months later. not you too, alright?

Oct 26, 2001 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Well, I tried the HD 490 at an AV store a while back ... and driven out of a high-end reciever, they weren't too awfull -- but overall, the sound reminded me of the Sony MDR-G52 that is often packaged with Walkmans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back