Sennheiser HD449 vs. HD518
Mar 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mazersteven

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone heard or read any comparisons between the Sennheiser HD449 and the HD518? Both priced within $10 bucks from one another. For use with an I-Pod and Laptop Computer.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 22

Quote:
Has anyone heard or read any comparisons between the Sennheiser HD449 and the HD518? Both priced within $10 bucks from one another. For use with an I-Pod and Laptop Computer.

smily_headphones1.gif

Never used either headphone.....but.
As the HD449 is closed I'm guess it has more bass.
The HD518 is open, so I'm guess better mid range, sound stage and better treble.
Are you going to be going around a lot in public with the iPod, then i guess you'll need a closed headphone.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 22
I would avoid entry level sennheiser headphone.
You would have better bang for the buck , by getting some koss (the well known porta pro)
or some superlux that are surprisingly well built for their price.

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
You would have better bang for the buck , by getting some koss (the well known porta pro)

Superlux "OVER" Sennheiser???

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
Superlux "OVER" Sennheiser???

It's a price thing, Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) are great headphones for $50.
Also Superlux HD662 or HD668B.

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 22

Quote:

LOL no way. Porta pro's are also popular for being cheap and pulling hair out.

I bet a hd518 can sound as good as its bigger brothers, the foam on the cushions is supposed to be slightly better feeling on the more expensive ones tho :wink: The bigger soundstage and clarity of the HD598 etc is a few clicks of eq away at 1.75khz and with abit less bass would be good. I also like boosting the highs abit above 10khz just abit. Currently experimenting with reducing some of the bassy spacyness...

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
LOL no way. Porta pro's are also popular for being cheap and pulling hair out.

Well, in fact I've only listened to the ksc75, which have more recent drivers. The sound quality is just exceptional for the price. I'd think it would be true with the similar portapro.

Quote:
I bet a hd518 can sound as good as its bigger brothers,

Some review at amazon suggest significant difference with hd598, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

Well, ok just go to the hd518 if you wish. These are relatively recent models, perhaps sennheiser didn't try too much to milk consumers too much this time. I'd suggest you take a look at headfonia review before though, regarding superlux,
for instance:
Superlux HD 668B: A Giant Killer?

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 22
I bought some 518s a few months ago when I was first getting into this part of audio. There were a few movies that I enjoyed using them with, but overall I just did not care for them. Once I started trying some other phones and IEMs, I  knew that the 518s were just not for me at all so I sold them on Amazon. The bass was far too muddy for my taste, and my ears started overheating within about 20 min. If you're going with Sennheiser, I'd honestly take the suggestion given above and move up to the 598. I have not heard that model, but based on my research it's a far superior phone to the 518s. You may feel completely differently about them...I just didn't happen to care for them at all, and if I hadn't taken some other suggestions to try some Grados, Etymotic IEMs, and some Ultrasone portables, I may not have even continued with my headphone adventure. In fact, the Etymotics are really what sealed it for me. I found that I liked the $50 IEMs far more than the 518s. A few weeks after that I was encouraged to try some Grados, and I fell in love. But anyway, I would try to take a small step up if possible. I've read a TON of glowing reviews on here about the 598s.

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 22
superlux are great for the price (i have HD668B), but a bit uncomfortable for long listening sessions (unless you get AKG velour pads) they have good soundstage, nice sound balance, great detail retrieval.

Good luck

Regards

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
I bought some 518s a few months ago when I was first getting into this part of audio. There were a few movies that I enjoyed using them with, but overall I just did not care for them. Once I started trying some other phones and IEMs, I  knew that the 518s were just not for me at all so I sold them on Amazon. The bass was far too muddy for my taste, and my ears started overheating within about 20 min. If you're going with Sennheiser, I'd honestly take the suggestion given above and move up to the 598. I have not heard that model, but based on my research it's a far superior phone to the 518s. You may feel completely differently about them...I just didn't happen to care for them at all, and if I hadn't taken some other suggestions to try some Grados, Etymotic IEMs, and some Ultrasone portables, I may not have even continued with my headphone adventure. In fact, the Etymotics are really what sealed it for me. I found that I liked the $50 IEMs far more than the 518s. A few weeks after that I was encouraged to try some Grados, and I fell in love. But anyway, I would try to take a small step up if possible. I've read a TON of glowing reviews on here about the 598s.

I totally understand how the hd518 might not have done it for you, the bass sounds bloated and spacy, they sound muffled, and even a little bit like their is some resonance going on like the sound bouncing around between your head and the inside of the headphones (the resonance might be abit of normal occurence when you compare over ear phones to iem's).

But then I eq'd them with a parametric eq. :) sounds ALOT better.

In the critique of the headphone differences in the new sennheiser hd range Ive noticed comments like bigger soundstage and perhaps more clarity (clarity is my word). But honestly and although it sounds a bit idealistic, adding just abit of eq at about 1.75khz and eqing the bass bloat out (don't eq the low sub frequencies out) so its more flat and like its bigger brothers really opens up the soundstage (before it was like listening to music in a bassy congested small studio perhaps) and makes the headphones CLEARER, detailed...

The sort of resonant sound doesn't really bother me (sort of nice-spacious without the extra bass) but I'm thinking of doing the mod like already done on these forums, make the speakers heavier, more solid with sticky bitumen deadener.

For abit I thought my eq triplefi's sounded better, but now as I write I'm really enjoying the senns...So yeah without hassle of eq for some (I actually enjoy parametric eqing process) I WOULD go up to the more expensive HD 598 558. If I had second chance I prob would. But now I'm HAPPY with progress of eqing the hd 518.

Edit: one advantage of the hd518 vs its brothers is more low end bass, prefer not have to eq low bass as much as other frequencies.

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 22
yeah but I'd rather eq a better headphone than a cheap/problematic one. And prefer one that already has good low end response (advantage of the hd518 vs its brothers). The hd518 is also fairly flat fr (barely any sibilance, good sound) besides the bass curve and the drivers are supposed to be good quality, aluminium voice coils etc and good design build of the enclosure. The triplefi is good for its high detailed BA's and more (triple) equal less distortion and they cover wide frequency range ie dont need low end boost....

True better out of box experience pity both the headphones (triplefi and hd518) both well reviewed didn't live up to hype for me uneq'd. Might see how my old k240 studios compare (haven't heard them for long time or with eq). Its fair to say most people have an eq to use even a simple graphic eq makes the hd518 sound good.

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
superlux are great for the price (i have HD668B), but a bit uncomfortable for long listening sessions (unless you get AKG velour pads) they have good soundstage, nice sound balance, great detail retrieval.
Good luck
Regards

No need for the velour pads - just wrap a pair of socks (preferably new or at least washed) over the fitted pads.  Makes the phones much more comfortable (no sweat), increases the sound stage (as stuffing the socks behind the pad will increase the distance between driver and ear) and makes everything that little bit sweeter.  Plus if you use stripey red&black socks they look the biz too :)

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
No need for the velour pads - just wrap a pair of socks (preferably new or at least washed) over the fitted pads.  Makes the phones much more comfortable (no sweat), increases the sound stage (as stuffing the socks behind the pad will increase the distance between driver and ear) and makes everything that little bit sweeter.  Plus if you use stripey red&black socks they look the biz too :)

I'd also suggest you velcro some underwear along the headband, too - preferably new or at least washed. "Tighty whitey ones are the best for max comfort and a larger sound stage.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #15 of 22
The sennheiser HD 449 is better based on your stated use.  the 518 is open air so if you bring your ipod to town people gonna hear what you listening while the HD 449 is closed back so they dont hear you and you dont hear them and the HD 449 doest suffer from headband cracks like the HD 5xx series. the HD 518 is more comfortable and has more bass. The HD 449 have more clarity and better Mids & Highs (according to him)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bgjWhBjJbY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back