Sennheiser HD449 vs. HD518
Jun 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #17 of 22
HD518 is sennheiser's entry level audiophile, while HD449 isn't considered as audiophile-grade at all. It just the best mid-fi closed cans they can offer to you (general-grade headphone).
Between two, HD518 considered as more "hi-fi" than HD449. But they're open cans.
Another highly reputable sennheisers usually open cans like HD650 , HD598, HD558 these trio are on higher level than HD518.

Personally I will choose HD518 for home use than HD449. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #18 of 22
actually its just sennheiser who calls the hd518 as audiophile grade. it is actually only about mid fi, even the hd598. only hd600 or 650 and up is considered high fi or audiophile grade. anyway i just have a feeling that i don't like the hd400 series, they do not sound pleasing to my ears, and since the hd449 is probably an open can as well, i suggest the hd518.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:
actually its just sennheiser who calls the hd518 as audiophile grade. it is actually only about mid fi, even the hd598. only hd600 or 650 and up is considered high fi or audiophile grade. anyway i just have a feeling that i don't like the hd400 series, they do not sound pleasing to my ears, and since the hd449 is probably an open can as well, i suggest the hd518.

its marketing trick. you buy civic because marketed as "sports" or entry level sports saloon.
449 is closed, perhaps wont be as vibrant as open 518

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #21 of 22
Ok what i am going to share is a mod for senn hd 449 which will make them create more deep and controlled bass, audeze lcd x sort of midrange and bower and wilkins p5 sort of treble(extended and airy) with huge sound stage and image

Material needed-

1.dynamat extreme(dampmat exceed dor even more controll)

2.Acoustipack extra sheet 3 layer dampening

3.Teased absorbent cotton for medical purpose

Procedure
1. Push one side of earpad till it get snap open(dont apply to much pressure at once)

2. You will see a foam surrounded driver.

3. Try to feel screw beneath the foam and tear that small part and open it up gently as wire are fragile
2011-08-10_01-51-03_231.jpg

4. U will see a mesh tape over 3 vents
images

Remove the tape so that the driver can breathe properly.
But then this will create more resonance on body of speaker.... so take dynamat and paste it at the back of the body so the driver dont vibrate heavily

5. Paste acoustipack inside the cup(cut into the shape of cup)

7. Fill it with teased cotton. Dont add to much of cotton.

8. Close the set and remove the front foam and replace with acousttipack sheet(same cut design)

9. Replace the earpad and enjoy the senn hd 449 rebirth or mid forward senn hd650

Oct 3, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #22 of 22
Opening up the back vent increase the airflow to the driver but sennhieser did a mistake making them in shape of circle and placing it high pressure zone creating heavy bass. So, after opening the port, mass loading the body was important.

Adding acoustipack sheet was to reduce the spring action of high velocity air through these port controlling bass

Adding teased cotton ball trick the speaker into larger enclosure thus deeper bass and clean mids.

Adding acoustipack infront of baffle at the place of old foam smoothen out sound and tighten up bass.

So, 3 bass port open(adding gain and extension in low frequency) and 3 times resonance damping(tightning ip the decay and making roll of steeper)

Cotton and foam damps the backwave and standing wave resonance plus larger enclosure giving more fuller bass and crystal treble.

Foam infront balances the mid with loes and high and furthur smoothens the texture and teansition of audio waves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back