Sennheiser HD439 review
Jun 15, 2012 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 167

astroid

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow can fans, got these couple of weeks ago and feel ready to give some impressions.

I have been comparing them to my ES55's , Beats Studio's and HD600.

BUILD QUALITY

Good, feel very light but solid, cables are not too thin and the connection to the headphone is detachable but fits in tight.
These are plastic , the grid over the Sennheiser logo is metal.
Overall happy.

COMFORT

Very good, the velour pads are soft and my ears fit nicely inside. The pad on the top of your head is also comfy.
These dont weigh much and the only con i can find is that the clamping force is a tiny bit loose, not as deal breaker but if you are moshing in these they may fall off! 

ISOLATION

Not as good as the beats(passively) or the ES55 , the velour pads let some sound in, i have been using them on a pretty noisy bus and while they are usable you do have to put the volume up a bit.
I would say these are a great office can and an acceptable commuter one.

SOUND

I will like these a lot, they dont really do anything wrong and that says a lot, the bass (after a few days burn in) is very nice, rounded and warm with some impact, much better than both the beats and ES55 in range, the beats have more impact but not the range of these.
The mids to begin with were a little sucked out,  that has improved a bit as the bass tightened up.
They seem to do very well with most genres but especially with stripped down acoustic / female vocals. 
The treble is very detailed , i love the treble on these, it is smooth and non fatiguing, i suspect the peaks at 5 and 10k are responsible.
I could hear some distortion on a Beastie Boys track that i couldnt hear on the ES55 and thought the drivers were breaking up a bit but after looking at the track in Audacity it transpired that the distortion was present in the track on the right channel afterall, so these wont gloss over poor recordings.
These sound like a baby HD600 to me , with some added bass, not bad for the cash!

Overall a great set of cans.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 167
Sweeeet. Nice quick review. These seem like a perfect beginner's can or as a gift-can because they're pretty affordable. I wonder how the 419 & 429 compare, they are even cheaper.

Looks like the 439 is on sale right now at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sennheiser+-+Over-the-Ear+Headphones+with+swap-cable+system+-+Satellite+%26+Black/2989131.p?id=1218374324536&skuId=2989131

Hey astroid, so the back of these almost look open with the grill look. Is there any sound leaking from the back of the cans or just through the pads?

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 167
Just noticed you can get both 1.4m and 3m cables for these through Senn's website and for cheap. These are looking better and better. With those replaceable cables and Senn's build quality I'll bet these puppies will last at least a decade. Which cable length did they come with?

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #9 of 167
Quote:
hey man, if you said 439 (and perhaps 449 too) are baby hd600, are 419 429 considered as baby hd650?
how is the bass on 439? thank you

The bass is good, it is warm and has a wide range, not thumpy one dimensional bass  like the beats.
When driven from an amp the bass improves further and the mids move forward a bit.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 167
Quote:
The bass is good, it is warm and has a wide range, not thumpy one dimensional bass  like the beats.
When driven from an amp the bass improves further and the mids move forward a bit.

Thanks, Astroid. How about mids & clarity?
But really we cant compare beats with sennheiser. My colleague joking about $30 HD202 sound much much better than $250 Beats Solo.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 167
I had these headphones and I don't know why but I really hated the warm sound! I really wanted to like them but I couldn't. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 167
I never have a "good" headphones. My last, panasonic rp-ht260, worked about 4 years, but they died, in a search of new headphones, i thinked about low price model, like usual.

But, i take a look ot a sennhaiser products, read about 4x9 series, first, i choose a 419, but. I accidently saw this review.

439, little expensive model, but after i read Astroid review, i still didn't decide. But ! when i saw.... avatar, on whati see a gentleman with nice mustache. I on 100% decidet, about 439. Because, well, gentleman with mustache can't be wronrg.

SInce yasterday i use 439, sound realy " warm" i like it. when i just plug in this cups, in my pc, sound was little "dull"? but after fwe h, sound become better,

Astroid, thank you for a nice rewiev.

P.S. Excuse me, for my mistake, if i made. I not very good know english.

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 167
Quote:
[...]

439, little expensive model, but after i read Astroid review, i still didn't decide. But ! when i saw.... avatar, on whati see a gentleman with nice mustache. I on 100% decidet, about 439. Because, well, gentleman with mustache can't be wronrg.

[...]

P.S. Excuse me, for my mistake, if i made. I not very good know english.

You did great. Who knows how many headphone purchases have been made solely on account of astroid's mustache. :D

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 167
Nice review. Makes me curious to try them. Never had a full-sized closed Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back