Sennheiser HD380
Mar 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

joeywreck

New Head-Fier
I'm not seeing many threads, reviews, or posts on this from after 2009. I just replaced my ATH-M50s for these. The ATH-M50s didn't sound too different from my Skullcandy Hesh 2.0 so I wanted something worth my money. I'm still in the testing phase (I thought I had enough time to try them on at Guitar Center but I still feel like I'm trying these on). The bass I liked in ATH-M50s is gone but I don't know if I'll miss it yet..

Anyone had any experience with these? I'm worried about the lack of posts I've seen about these.. I'm no audiophile but I make the assumption that headphones can be out of date. I compared these to the Beyerdynamics DT 770 when I was at Guitar Center. I felt the DT 770 sounded a little soft (except the bass) but it could've been the music that was playing. I just want to hear other opinions before I have my own set.

Should I be worried about the bass? This seems more neutral. I like all genres, and I wanted everything to sound as best as possible.. But I also liked bass.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 19
They are basically the same model as the PC350 (which is a gaming can) but without the mic. 
Take a look here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-380-pro-headphones/reviews

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 19
The reviews seem positive but I'm still curious how others would compare this to the ATH-M50s. I returned a highly recommended pair for these, I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 19
I saw two threads discussing a comparison with M50s and not one of them suggested the HD 380. One of them said there's even a more laid back sound, like there's a veil over the music..

Although I'm noticing it sounds pretty alright. I'll have to listen some more. I just like second opinions. I'm the guy that would probably like a pair of $20 headphones from 1987 and not get an alternative if I didn't look at second opinions.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 19
[size=13.0pt]I love mine...I love the sound that they provide. I use mine in both professional and personal listening applications. I do have a slight biased for Sennheiser and their sound signature. I love the portability and design of them as well.  [/size][size=13pt]The bass is right where it should be, IMHO.  [/size]

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 19
Have you ever tried the HD 558?

Also, should it disturb me that most reviews and videos relating to the HD380 are from 2009-2011? In a way, I feel like I just bought an iPod 3GS and I'm reading reviews about it. I'm no audiophile so I can't say whether older headphones can become irrelevant the way Apple's overhyped products are, but that's why I'm here.

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 19
It’s all relative, good products are still good products, hence they are still in production. I will say that for the most part closed cans don’t get a lot of love here on head-fi. If you like the way it sounds then it’s good for you. I have not had the opportunity to get to listen to the 558’s, although I am considering them as my first set of open cans. I would really like the 600’s or 650’s but I cannot spend that much money without getting the wife angry. BTW, a lot of people always think that something else out there is better than what they have and are never happy with what they purchased it’s the “grass is always greener” way of thinking. Good luck with your listening endeavors, happy listening! 

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #10 of 19
Replace HD380's earpads with 558's?  558 has a different shape, so probably not.  Replace HD380's cups so 558's pads can fit?  HD380's cups are designed for HD380's drivers, and HD558's are for 558.  What materials they are made of is only a small part of the thing.  380 will not sound the same in 558's cups (although I'm pretty sure that they will not fit into each other's cups), so proceed at your own risk if you want to do that.
Just get a 558 to replace your 380, lol.

Alternatively, SRH940's velour pads might fit HD380 if they are the right size.

Quote:
Have you ever tried the HD 558?

Also, should it disturb me that most reviews and videos relating to the HD380 are from 2009-2011? In a way, I feel like I just bought an iPod 3GS and I'm reading reviews about it. I'm no audiophile so I can't say whether older headphones can become irrelevant the way Apple's overhyped products are, but that's why I'm here.

I heard HD380 briefly, and I'd say that 380 has the edge in bass quality and treble clarity and sparkle versus 558, then 558 has the edge in midrange and soundstaging as well as comfort.  I liked 380, I'll get one later to compare to my other headphones, although I probably won't have HD558 by then anymore.  Or you can buy my HD558 and find out for yourself. 
wink.gif

You may even decide to keep both for different music/purposes. 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
Replace HD380's earpads with 558's?  558 has a different shape, so probably not.  Replace HD380's cups so 558's pads can fit?  HD380's cups are designed for HD380's drivers, and HD558's are for 558.  What materials they are made of is only a small part of the thing.  380 will not sound the same in 558's cups (although I'm pretty sure that they will not fit into each other's cups), so proceed at your own risk if you want to do that.
Just get a 558 to replace your 380, lol.

Alternatively, SRH940's velour pads might fit HD380 if they are the right size.

I heard HD380 briefly, and I'd say that 380 has the edge in bass quality and treble clarity and sparkle versus 558, then 558 has the edge in midrange and soundstaging as well as comfort.  I liked 380, I'll get one later to compare to my other headphones, although I probably won't have HD558 by then anymore.  Or you can buy my HD558 and find out for yourself. 
wink.gif

You may even decide to keep both for different music/purposes. 
evil_smiley.gif

I actually have both but I didn't try to pull the HD380 off in the event that it doesn't go back on 
regular_smile .gif
. I've never heard of anyone modifying these cans. Replace? they have different sounds and purposes. 

Edit - Oh you just said that. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 19
I personally think the 280 sound better than the 380.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I didn't like the way the 380 sat on my head, I didn't get a very good seal. They seemed a bit bright on the high end and kind of lacked that super deep bass the 280 have. Which could be because they didn't seal very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back