Sennheiser HD280 stinks!
Dec 7, 2003 at 5:53 AM Post #31 of 52
Count me in as well for someone who doesn't like the HD280s. My main problem with them was the redicously recessed bass response. Midrange and treble were a little honky and I found the highs to be slightly simbalent--however these flaws can be forgiven; no headphone is perfect (especially at in this price range)--but the far too recessed bass totally killed the the HD280s IMO--no matter what kind of music you listen to you're going to need to more bass than these phones can provide.

Just my take, though, I don't mean to hurt the feelings of anyone who likes these cans. But if your searching for a closed phones in the same price range I'd recommend the D66, V6, and PX200 over the HD280. I find the DT231 to be as flawed as the HD280s but for a different reason--they are far too warm and undetailed to really enjoy the music.

Dec 7, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #32 of 52
ph0rk,

The graphs that I am referring to can only be seen in person if you show up at headroom. That's why I bothered to explain where I'm getting my data: it can't be independently confirmed. They were using the same micing and head setup as that which registers the HD650s as practically flat below 150hz, without any bumps. If the HD280s clamp, is it really possible for an improper seal to drop the bass 10dB? I've never heard a closed headphone which "magically" gets really thick the instant you just manage to seal tighter. The effect is more subtle, to the point where its hardly noticeable, even on 770 pros.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 8, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #33 of 52
It sure is strange to read this thread since I participated in an HD280 love-fest not too long ago. Where are you, HD280 fans??

In my experience, almost all the negatives (honkiness, muddiness, etc.) that I found so annoying at the beginning went away after substantial use (2 to 3 months). Since then they've been one of the most-used cans in my collection. The bass is somewhat underrepresented but it's definitely present and goes much deeper than most other phones I've heard in a comparable price range.

The Ulstrasone 650 Trackmaster is better in most respects and is a logical upgrade in terms of design and features. However, I still find them somewhat over-bright, bordering on sibilant at times.

Dec 8, 2003 at 6:01 AM Post #34 of 52
I for one love mine. Most people slam them for not being things they were never meant to be... I find the positioning to be wonderful, and the isolation amazing. They are very detailed for their price and the low bass that they can produce is to die for.
280smile.gif

Dec 8, 2003 at 6:01 AM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
They were using the same micing and head setup as that which registers the HD650s as practically flat below 150hz, without any bumps.

So then are the Grado SR225's really flat from 20hz up to 5khz? They always sounded like a smiley face to me.

Dec 8, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
I for one love mine. Most people slam them for not being things they were never meant to be... I find the positioning to be wonderful, and the isolation amazing. They are very detailed for their price and the low bass that they can produce is to die for.
280smile.gif

To me that was the problem, you had to die to hear it (or something). I actually tested them with low bass tones/sine waves, and heard almost nothing below about 50 Hz. Very strange, as even some dirt cheap cans I've heard go lower than this without any serious rolloff.

Something was "wrong" with the treble too... it's not easy to describe. It seemed like a treble-y sort of quality was infecting the entire frequency range or something, and I heard a severe upper-midrange harshness. Granted, at that point I was using them unamped but no other low impedance cans I had at the time sounded even remotely like that.

Dec 8, 2003 at 7:23 AM Post #37 of 52
I used a pair of HD 280 Pros last year but sold them to get a pair of ATH-A900s. Listening almost exclusively to electronic dance music they certainly lack the mid/upper bass, but the deep bass extension was outstanding (much like Sony V6s).

Dec 8, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
To me that was the problem, you had to die to hear it (or something). I actually tested them with low bass tones/sine waves, and heard almost nothing below about 50 Hz. Very strange, as even some dirt cheap cans I've heard go lower than this without any serious rolloff.

Something was "wrong" with the treble too... it's not easy to describe. It seemed like a treble-y sort of quality was infecting the entire frequency range or something, and I heard a severe upper-midrange harshness. Granted, at that point I was using them unamped but no other low impedance cans I had at the time sounded even remotely like that.

Strange... I wonder if there really is truth to the idea that there are large differences between different samples of Senn cans. For example, Iron_Dreamer felt that my 590's sounded a lot better than the 590's that he used to have.

-EDIT-

You know, come to think of it, I've always felt that my first pair of PX100's sounded better than my second pair (returned the first cuz the left driver was cutting out).

Dec 8, 2003 at 8:56 AM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Davie
It sure is strange to read this thread since I participated in an HD280 love-fest not too long ago. Where are you, HD280 fans??

In my experience, almost all the negatives (honkiness, muddiness, etc.) that I found so annoying at the beginning went away after substantial use (2 to 3 months). Since then they've been one of the most-used cans in my collection. The bass is somewhat underrepresented but it's definitely present and goes much deeper than most other phones I've heard in a comparable price range.

The Ulstrasone 650 Trackmaster is better in most respects and is a logical upgrade in terms of design and features. However, I still find them somewhat over-bright, bordering on sibilant at times.

I agree completely. For a long while I thought they were just plain boring. But after a few months, they began sounding great!

Dec 8, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
yeah, they ain't for me neither--no bass. however, they make awesome recording headphones!--best isolation out of any phones i have ever used.

Regarding bass, it's been reported that they respond very well to equalization, so if you have a multiband equalizer it might be possible to get a very nice bass response out of them, given that the extension is so deep.

Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Something was "wrong" with the treble too... it's not easy to describe. It seemed like a treble-y sort of quality was infecting the entire frequency range or something...

That actually describes pretty well my experience with the Ultrasone 650 Trackmaster. In fact, sometimes I use the 280s for relief from this problem with the 650s!!!

Dec 8, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #43 of 52
I love my 280s. The bass is somewhat recessed without an amp (I'm using a MINT), but they extend so low, it's incredible. I do find the highs to be a bit sharp sometimes, though.

Scimmia

Oh yeah, this is coming from someone who runs 2 Elememtal 12" Ks in his car, so bass is important to me.
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #44 of 52
I wouldn't go as far as to say that the HD280s have "no bass". I hear plenty of bass through my crappy computer source. I think Davie could be right about needing to tweek your EQ settings. I listen primarily to mp3's with winamp, and use "enhancer v0.17". Its an awsome DSP plug-in that considerably boosts bass in my multimedia speakers and works nicely with my headphones too. If you use winamp (version 2 only), check it out.

Dec 8, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #45 of 52
i didn't mean to make this such a polarized thread...ahem...just goes to show you how important the title of a thread is!

update: HD280s are being sold to some unsuspecting victim...and i'm springing for an er-4p - isolates even better than the 280s, is far more transportable, and i'm guessing that they sound better (ya think?)...and please, no responses lecturing me on the price difference b/n these two headphones, etc. heck, i like my D11 eggos much more than the 280s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back