Sennheiser HD25's vs Beyer DT770 (80ohm)
Nov 17, 2008 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Nathanlgd

Head-Fier
Hiya guys, I've got a pair of HD25's that I use at home, mainly with my computer through a Creative Audigy sound card. I bought them more or less blind about 4 years ago just knowing the Sennheiser make "good" headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

I've always been pleased with them but if I'm honest, expected more from them up until a few months ago when my brother gave me this Audigy sound card. Now they're a totaly different animal
smily_headphones1.gif
much more "ballsy" - however, I do listen to them at full volume constantly
smily_headphones1.gif

Anway, I've had 'em 4 years now and just recently fancied a change. A couple of DJ mates recommended I get some Technics DJ 1200's, claiming they'll all about match the HD25's in all respects but exceed them on volume and bass punch. After doing some research I was recommended to go for a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770's (80ohm). From what I've heard, these sound like they'd give me more of what I want from a pair of headphones and are priced to my liking as well.
What do you guys think? I'd particularly like to hear from any of you that have experience with both or either pair. Also, is there another pair of headphones out there that you think might please me more so than these two?
I like clearity, balance, very punchy bass and volume
smily_headphones1.gif
Although I listen to all types of music, I'm a clubbing enthusiast and primarily adore my techno, minimal, deep house and similar.
I look forward to you replays guys, thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 17
You could take the deafening silence to mean "use the search facility"
normal_smile .gif

Nevertheless... if you substitute the steel stock cable with HD650 OFC stock, things should sound less 'forced' with more detail, balance and punch.

DT770/80 is good with electro but large soundstage can make it sound distant and IMHO it is bright and a little harsh even after 250+ hours... so I *never* listen to them above a polite volume.

My DJ friend really enjoyed his house stuff through my HD250s (2nd hand or last in stock offers only)... amped.

my 2c... re-cable your HD25s and get a 'proper' amp for 'better' or try out some other cans for 'different'.

Good luck.

James

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 17
Coooooool! - replacing the "cable" will make them sound better?!
biggrin.gif
Sweet, I'm deffo gunna give that a try. So you reconn I should amp these HD25's before try something else? I don't know where to start as regards using an amp for my HD25's. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Still interested in feed back on my original post.

In return I can offer you guys some head candy? Crank it up and CLICK!

YouTube - Sis - Nesrib

*Warning* not for the faint hearted
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 17
Nathanlgd,
Which model are your Sennheisers phones: HD25SP or HD25-1?.
The latter are twice the price of the former.
And considered markedly superior in sound quality.
Though, as has been said, they have the reputation of benefiting significantly with re-cabling.
Harvey

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 17
Mine are the SP. I thought the HD25-1's were exactly the same other than having a much better frame?
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 17
James - just noticed, you have both the HD25's and DT770's
smily_headphones1.gif
how do they compare? Would I be better upgrading the cable for £20 rather than forking out £100 for the DT770's. This headphone game makes you wish you had loadsa cash so's not to have to bother trying to find things out
confused_face.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 17
the hd25sp also benifits from dampending to the inside cups. I padded the back of the driver with cotton and the bass went down alot leaving more clearity in the mids and highs. The hd25sp aren't as dark as most people describe them.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathanlgd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine are the SP. I thought the HD25-1's were exactly the same other than having a much better frame?
confused_face(1).gif

I haven't heard the SPs, but.....
The word on head-fi is that the SPs are not in any way the same as the 25-1s.
And not in the same league as far as sound quality.
I wouldn't think they have the same drivers.
The 25-1s show up fairly regularly on the FS forums here.
Perhaps because their tight clamping is not friendly to big heads.
Amazon has them new for about $200.
Up to now - that is about to change - I've only heard them with the stock cable.
But you will find long discussions in the headphone section by happy owners of the 25-1s
and the different cable upgrade possibilities / options.
Some quite inexpensive and others perhaps as costly - or more - than the phones.
Harvey

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathanlgd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I listen to all types of music, I'm a clubbing enthusiast and primarily adore my techno, minimal, deep house and similar.

i think 770 would be slightly better for you.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 17
Nathangld,

HD25SP is at least 1 notch down in "quality" vs. HD25-1. A re-cable will probably not make a very big difference... SP stock cable is copper though not top quality (HD25-1 stock cable is steel... hardy & robust but not best-sounding).

My guess is amping the SP should help somewhat but my SPs get very little head time so I have no meaningful experience to offer a valid opinion.

My tastes are much more general than yours though Faithless (8pm Sunday) sounded excellent on the DT770/80s the other day. More often than not though I get 'tired' of the Beyers and switch to HD25-1 or HD250 when closed back phones are required.

My DJ friend liked the Beyers but IMHO, they need a decent amp to sound 'there'... even the Slee voyager portable (great for HD25-1) leaves them a bit limp to my taste... I increasingly think though I have a Senn default-bias...
there are very few discs that sound bad on any of my Senns but 'greatness' is generally found on the RS-1 or K701 (neither great for your main genres).

1 final comment. If I could only keep 1 setup... it would be ipod>voyager>HD25-1 - very listenable at home but also emminently portable.

Find a store to hear for yourself... YMMV (& probably will).

Good luck.

James

P.S. I plan to check out Beyer DT150 based on other user comments - could be a decent candidate for you to try

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 17
the hd25-1 uses different drivers from what i remember and sounds much better than the hd25sp...

anyways, sounds like you either listen to your music too loud, or your sound card/unit is not quite up to snuff.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #15 of 17
James - thank you very, very much for your reply. Much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems then that the DT770's will be much more pleaseing for me over my HD25sp's - considering the sp's aren't upto the regular HD25's.

Also James, you mention this voyager portable amp to power the HD25's or DT770's. I was unaware that a portable amp could possibly power such headphones. I thought portable headphone amps were just for the smaller in ear headphones. That would be amazing if its possible to listen to music via such big powerful headphones on the go
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back