Sennheiser HD250 Linear Impressions Micro-Thread
Jun 7, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #196 of 543
I don't think they would offer the parts they have for their own tests, research or product maintenance to me... I am not so confident about this headphones anyway. I paid a big amount for a headphone that is missing some parts, and I am thinking that might miss some more. I see the cup on the back have a hole and I can see felt coming out. I have seen pictures of the linear II and there is a plastic part closing this hole. Maybe the linear I is missing this part (I couldn't confirm with the pictures I have seen). But most people seems to agree that the only difference between the two headphones is a slightly different cup. So I feel I had been scamed at ebay. The parts will get to me on Monday, and if they don't do the trick the headphone will go back to their previous owner. He was selling it as a audiophile piece in excellent working order and condition. Well... I would upload the REW results here, but I am new in the forum and I don't know how to do it... Looks and sounds more like a disaster to me...

Yeah it sounds like you bought a bad pair,what with holes in the cup and missing parts. Thats terrible.
Since youre new to the forum,im not sure if you can post photos or not,but see the attached photo. Thats how you upload images from your computer.

1 (2).png
1 (2).png

Jun 7, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #197 of 543
thanks, here is the graph...

01.jpg

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #198 of 543
thanks, here is the graph...

Oh yeah,thats not correct at all....The HD250 is a bass monster. Very visceral and deep sub bass and very nice slam as well.
I would suggest getting your $ back from the seller. These are clearly not sounding as intended.

Jul 9, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #199 of 543
So I finally bought a pair of HD250 linear II and I cannot be happier... They came with all parts and I got some lambskin pads. I cannot take them out of my head. Dammit!

I would prefer to have the mid-range less recessed, but so far so good they are impressive. I really love the visceral experience of bass. A headphone to keep, definitely.

I am thinking if I should make any mod for them... perhaps a new headband to add more pressure since I think is missing that a bit... What you think?

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #200 of 543
So I finally bought a pair of HD250 linear II and I cannot be happier... They came with all parts and I got some lambskin pads. I cannot take them out of my head. Dammit!

I would prefer to have the mid-range less recessed, but so far so good they are impressive. I really love the visceral experience of bass. A headphone to keep, definitely.

I am thinking if I should make any mod for them... perhaps a new headband to add more pressure since I think is missing that a bit... What you think?

Did you get your money back from the other pair?

Pressure on headband? What are you missing out on? You can try looking into the Dekoni Nuggets.

Jul 10, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #201 of 543
Did you get your money back from the other pair?

Pressure on headband? What are you missing out on? You can try looking into the Dekoni Nuggets.

Yes, thankfully the seller did solve the problem correctly without much headache...

I miss the cups to be pressed a bit more against my head. The sealing becomes much better doing a bit of pressure with my fingers with the lambskin pads.

I got a couple more pads.

With one of them, same thick form factor as lambskin, but softer foam and softer PU. The headphone becomes more balanced, but lose this visceral response on bass a bit. With lambskin my ear vibrates with the bass, with this other still does, but not as much. This pads do not need extra pressure for a good seal. I think I am gonna keep them on for now.

With the second new pad the headphone becomes brighter, my ears don't feel the vibration of bass anymore. But still a nice sounding headphone.

The lambskin would be the only pads that I find would benefit from extra pressure, and would help mostly on bass. Having already too much bass on my taste maybe no need for the extra effort and 3d printing cost...

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #202 of 543
Here is Frequency response on compared pads:

ALL PADS.jpg

Funny enough, my preferred pads are the GREEN line. I perceive slightly less bass than with Lambskin pads. And I think the reason comes from the recess area between 150 and 450Hz.

Any idea to flatten this area?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #203 of 543
And here RIGHT and LEFT measurements with my preferred pads
RIGHT AND LEFT.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #204 of 543

NIce acquisition. However, should be able to get the 'can' out of your head, I recommend you position the headphones ON your head instead !

Are the 'HD-250 Linear' Sealed/Open-Back ?

peter

Jul 10, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #205 of 543
Here is Frequency response on compared pads:

Funny enough, my preferred pads are the GREEN line. I perceive slightly less bass than with Lambskin pads. And I think the reason comes from the recess area between 150 and 450Hz.

Any idea to flatten this area?

Yes, remove the 'Green' (response) pad: the elevated response I'll bet considerably impairs lower-midrange/vocal (and associated instrument/electric bass guitar) clarity/articulation.
In fact, there is so much critical signal information in this range of lower frequencies that demands accurate reproduction.

pj

Jul 10, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #206 of 543
NIce acquisition. However, should be able to get the 'can' out of your head, I recommend you position the headphones ON your head instead !

Are the 'HD-250 Linear' Sealed/Open-Back ?

peter

Closed-back. Sorry, but I am not native speaker, Sir!!

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #210 of 543
Yes, they will fit perfectly, they come with the same ring as the original 250 ear pads. I also bought them with foamies as in the link you sent.
I have them on my Linear I 600 Ohm, and they sound very good IMO. The sound is very crisp and clear, as we all know, the bass is definitely there when it exists in the recording, but less pronounced than with the original pads.
The foamies are fine but I like to experiment and changed them with some thin moist cleaning pads material (after I dried them out,of course). The treble is a smidge more clear and what's important to me, the material is more pleasant when touching my ears.
On my Linear II (300 Ohm) I still keep the original pads, regardless of their condition being so old, because they really are something special. They considerably emphasize the bass, and are amazingly comfortable. They are made of TWO layers over the filling foam. First layer is fabric (the same woven fabric they used on the HD540 ear pads) and over them a surrounding layer of very thin pleather (like that on the front wall of the 540s). Because of being so old, they shrank a bit and now there's a 'layer' of air between them, giving a feeling of some 'pneumatic' ear pads (that among other may be the reason for being so comfortable...) Anyways, because of the pleather being so thin and old, it started to tear out a bit and through this small tears I've seen the fabric under-layer.
Of course, I tried the original pads on the 600 Ohm Linears too, and to my ears, the bass goes with the pads, even having more influence on the sound than the HP version and their Impedance. The Linear II have more bass and punch, but the Linear I are a bit more refined. With my Linear II also came a ~1mm thick felt ring and it adds even more to the bass. Now it sits on my Linear I and the pads on the Linear II. when I'll have some time I plan to cut myself a few more different felt rings, of different thicknesses and felt types, and experiment with them a little.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back