Sennheiser HD250 Linear Impressions Micro-Thread
Jan 18, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #166 of 543
I use Hd540 ref 1 with my desktop rig at home, and Hd250 lin 1 as headphones I use at work. I got some attention first with them, but now it is ok. Hd540 with replacement HD430 pads (with foam mod) and Hd250 with wang’s ebay pads (with foam mod). See hd540 thread for details about the pads and foam mod. I still have few more different sets of pads incoming, but I am more than happy with the pads I mentioned.

r2r11 got some bad reviews lately, but in my opinion it plays nicely with these kind of headphones. There is a good synergy with darker and warmer sounding amp, that gives more robust body and more lower frequencies to their sound. The pads are still the most important part of the sound, but I got that sorted. One guy suggested, that robustness of body of the sound might be influenced positively by higher output impedance of r2r11’s amp section. r2r11 was supposed to have 2 Ohm output impedance but it was measured that it has 8 Ohm output impedance. Cable can influence the amount of bass and sound sig as well a lot. I tried 2 aftermarket cables and one of them sounds more airy and less bassy while the other one adds bass and sounds aggresively. I can not recommend one over the other, it is only a side note.

Ultimate portable solution for Hd250 is yet to be found. Mojo sounds too bright with these headphones, it lacks body and bass amount. I would like to try Mojo+VorzampDuo2 stack, but it is a blind shot, which may or may not result in a thicker sound with less bright tonality. Duo2 has two positional bass boost switch, that could be of help here, but it has lower output impedance (<0.1Ohm) than Duo1(1 Ohm). Does any of you know whether extra low output impedance of portable amp goes against or towards thicker, more bodied sound? Should I try portable tube amp paired with Mojo instead? What would you suggest?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #167 of 543
I have no experience with any portable tube amp,however I used to own the R2R-11. I havent seen the negative reviews of it that you mentioned,but in my time with it I felt for the money it was an excellent product. That being said,the HD250s seem to scale very well with more power,and then to ridiculous heights with a good OTL.

R2R-11-good
vintage receivers-better
OTL-best

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #168 of 543
Just popping in to share a recent find.

I have tried various pads on my Linear 1, beyer m pads, dekoni, AKG pleathers but my original pads always felt the best but sounded lacking due to seal failure thanks to cracking. These are very close to the stock feel, but they seal well even with glasses thanks to the dense memory foam with sheepskin. I moved to these pads on my older AKG a few months ago, I bought a few more pairs while still available to stick in a drawer and realised how close they were in size to the stock 250 pads and so tried them. Been using them for over a month and no going back. I agree with others that these are very sensitive to pad rolling especially if too deep, these tick all boxes for me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G5WVPR3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have been using these pads for the last few days and I am blown away...speechless. I have often said, a tad tentatively that these are one of the best closed back headphones ever made. With these pads I would say that now with authority. Ive had a lot of experience with various pads but the difference that these pads make is nothing short of magical.
They have turned the already superb closed back headphones into something far beyond what I already thought was amazing. It would take too long to express all the qualities that they, combined with the already perfectly tuned HD 250 display but...
The separation of instruments in the mix is now 10/10 but what makes it particularly spectacular and what makes them now a top tier headphone is each instruments individual characteristics shine, each being given space to display their own qualities. This is something that only VERY expensive headphones can do
The soundstage, as is already well know with the HD250 sounds identical with the HD 540 (an open back headphone) but now combined with the separation and almost 3D presentation makes for an addictive experience
The bass, OMG the bass is THE best I have heard, warm, rich organic and perfectly 'calibrated' within the mix yet it never interferes with any other frequencies. It just sounds wonderfully warmly vintage tubes organic. (I am using a LittleDot 1+ upgraded tube amp though!)
The clarity of the vocals and details of everything is now extraordinary. Albums sound like I have never heard before
micro details are all there as well - even the tiniest insignificant sound can be heard - again amazing considering all the other things the headphone is doing

Until now, I had not been completely happy with the HD250. I could hear they were great but I felt they were certainly not reaching their potential. The closest pad I found that made them sound descent was a similar high quality memory foam. (Not sure what the pad make is though)
I put the old pads on a set of HD 540 to make room for these new ones on the 250 and actually it gave me a HD 540 that I hadn't' heard before!! - 3D holographic deep rich experience

So, now I have an essentially new and MUCH better HD 250 with these pads AND a completely new sounding HD 540 with qualities I haven't heard before with that headphone as well !!

So yeah, THANK YOU mr Catnip Mouse for sharing this

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #169 of 543
I'm so glad you got the same wow moment from them. I would like to claim I bought them on spec but it was pure chance trying to get my Sextett and K340 to sound and feel better.

I paid over the odds for some Dekoni memory foam ones myself, as it stands they work great with my Sextett LP. The other Sextett and K340 now use the same pads as these.

Happy listening.

I have been using these pads for the last few days and I am blown away...speechless. I have often said, a tad tentatively that these are one of the best closed back headphones ever made. With these pads I would say that now with authority. Ive had a lot of experience with various pads but the difference that these pads make is nothing short of magical.
They have turned the already superb closed back headphones into something far beyond what I already thought was amazing. It would take too long to express all the qualities that they, combined with the already perfectly tuned HD 250 display but...
The separation of instruments in the mix is now 10/10 but what makes it particularly spectacular and what makes them now a top tier headphone is each instruments individual characteristics shine, each being given space to display their own qualities. This is something that only VERY expensive headphones can do
The soundstage, as is already well know with the HD250 sounds identical with the HD 540 (an open back headphone) but now combined with the separation and almost 3D presentation makes for an addictive experience
The bass, OMG the bass is THE best I have heard, warm, rich organic and perfectly 'calibrated' within the mix yet it never interferes with any other frequencies. It just sounds wonderfully warmly vintage tubes organic. (I am using a LittleDot 1+ upgraded tube amp though!)
The clarity of the vocals and details of everything is now extraordinary. Albums sound like I have never heard before
micro details are all there as well - even the tiniest insignificant sound can be heard - again amazing considering all the other things the headphone is doing

Until now, I had not been completely happy with the HD250. I could hear they were great but I felt they were certainly not reaching their potential. The closest pad I found that made them sound descent was a similar high quality memory foam. (Not sure what the pad make is though)
I put the old pads on a set of HD 540 to make room for these new ones on the 250 and actually it gave me a HD 540 that I hadn't' heard before!! - 3D holographic deep rich experience

So, now I have an essentially new and MUCH better HD 250 with these pads AND a completely new sounding HD 540 with qualities I haven't heard before with that headphone as well !!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #170 of 543

Another sheep magic miracle..

giphy.gif

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #171 of 543
Has anyone had a chance of comparing HD 250 to HD 265, how much of a downgrade would the HD 265 be?

Jan 21, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #172 of 543

I've used those before, makes everything stand out, kinda turns them from a slight v shape to a W shape. I agree with you about the sound being amazing but eventually went back to my ZMF universe + HD400 foam which improved sound stage and bass, that combo is my favorite, makes you hear each bass note that other pads couldn't provide (only when R2R11 acts as a dac).

It's great that these rely heavily on padding and what sound we can achieve by swapping pads and foams.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #173 of 543
Has anyone had a chance of comparing HD 250 to HD 265, how much of a downgrade would the HD 265 be?
Very big downgrade. I own HD250 Linear 1 and 2 and HD265 and HD565 (open).
HD565 sounds pretty well with good highs and bass and warmer sound in comparison to previous generation (HD560 etc.), although a lot more soft sound. But HD265 is utterly crap. Everything is muddy and bassy in them. I tried Original 40EUR Sennheiser pads with them and nothing has changed.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #174 of 543
Very big downgrade. I own HD250 Linear 1 and 2 and HD265 and HD565 (open).
HD565 sounds pretty well with good highs and bass and warmer sound in comparison to previous generation (HD560 etc.), although a lot more soft sound. But HD265 is utterly crap. Everything is muddy and bassy in them. I tried Original 40EUR Sennheiser pads with them and nothing has changed. If you want, and you are from EU I will sell them to you for 75eur incl. shipping (but without the pads, those are of higher value than the headphones to me). I can include some new Oval Brainwavz memory foam pads instead for free. They are in excellent condition (the headphones).

Open HD565 (left), closed HD265 (right)
by myusernameislove on Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org
Thank you, you saved me some cash. Was wondering if they are worth the buy, while waiting for 300ohm 250's to show up.

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #175 of 543
HD545 sounds very similar to HD565, it is just a bit more neutral (HD565 is warmer and more V shaped), but HD265 is twice as bassy, and it has twice less highs. The space is similarily good, just the tuning is unfortunately wrong. I am not sure if some earlier version of HD265 with different (more bright) sound exists. I think it is worth having HD565 and/or HD545, but still HD540, HD250 Linear 1 and HD560 Ovation 1 sound all more airy and well.. you know how. The next generation is less airy and more thick and les unique. It still can be very nice to listen to, it has some mellowness to it with right pads (I especially like HD565 with HD265 pleather pads and HD545 with its original velour pads) with one exception, HD265 just do not cut it for me.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #180 of 543

Users who are viewing this thread

Back