Sennheiser hd25: Need advice on mods and cable recommendations
Sep 1, 2014 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jerryzm

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just bought the Sennheiser HD25-II and I've been reading up on mods and aftermarket cables.

I'm not exactly new here on head-fi. I've been a member for at least over 3 months now and been lurking around here for way more than that.

Reason for buying - HD25 vs V-MODA XS

I really love the sound and I think I've found a winner here but I noticed how the bass is kind of boomy. Not that bad though. I own a V-Moda XS so I can't help but compare how defined the V-Moda XS bass is compared to the hd25...maybe because XS is more neutral sounding I guess.

The reason why I switched from v-moda xs to hd25 is because of the size of the ear cups. The XS makes me feel like the headphones are going to fall off of my head since the clamping force is not so tight. Also the ear cups tend to "float" on my ears so the fit isn't too great. Makes sound isolation really bad especially when I'm walking in a busy street, which is everyday.

My problem with HD25-II

Alright, I've done some research before buying the hd25 (modding, changeable cables, replaceable parts) which is excellent for me because I love modifying stuff and changing how they look.

The thing I hate about my hd25-II are the cables and the ear pads. Before you recommend the valour pads, I've got them too but I really prefer the pleather ones since the valour makes the bass disappear and make the headphones brighter to my ears. 

Another thing I hate with my hd25 version is the cable. It's too long. The reason why I purchased this specific model (hd25-II) is because they were on sale here in Hong Kong. I bought them at around US232. Usually to sell for way more here.

Now on to my questions...

1. Aftermarket cables
      I heard great things about BTG Cables. Also found some cables at Custom Cans. I'm wondering which would you guys recommend? Also what is the different between silver and cooper cables? How would they improve the sound?

1. Ear Pads I haven't found any good choices since I'm not a fan of valour. The only one I found are a set of memory foam pads from Custom Cans. It's from the hd25 aluminium edition. Would you guys recommend these? Or can you recommend any other pads that is close to the pleather ones but softer?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to your recommendations.

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 6
Cables make zero difference to sound.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 6
Zomo do a lot of aftermarket HD25 pads, you might look at those. Oyaide do 1.2m aftermarket cables.

I'd say steel cables and copper are different, I got some old HD222 with steel and they sounded balanced-ish, I tried a copper and the bass was greater. I've heard that silver cables can bring up the brightness but can't be bothered to test it out with my HE400 (twist twist twist).

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 6
  Zomo do a lot of aftermarket HD25 pads, you might look at those. Oyaide do 1.2m aftermarket cables.

I'd say steel cables and copper are different, I got some old HD222 with steel and they sounded balanced-ish, I tried a copper and the bass was greater. I've heard that silver cables can bring up the brightness but can't be bothered to test it out with my HE400 (twist twist twist).

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your suggestion. I find it interesting that copper and steel affect the sound like that. I will definitely look into copper cables. As for Zomo, I checked their website but they only provide valour pads though.

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 6
  Cables make zero difference to sound.

Kraken, thanks for the comment. Sorry but I have to disagree with that.

The reason I'm thinking of changing cables is because I've done it before with my SE215 iems. I changed the cables to steel and it did change the sound dramatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back