Sennheiser HD25-1-ii vs AKG K167 -- recommendations on the battle of the entry-level bass heavy
Jan 15, 2013 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

theforsh

New Head-Fier
Hi, I was wondering if I could pick your brains for some headphone advice?

I listen to a range of music, about 50% bass heavy electronic music, 30% ambient 20% rock music.  I used to go to a lot of clubs/gigs in my younger days and as such i'm very accustomed to hearing a lot of bass in my music, I find that many balanced headphones don't seem to represent the bass in things like bass drums and bass guitar that I hear when I head the music performed live.  So i'm looking for a pair of headphones can that bring this out.

I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD25-1-ii  and  AKG K167, and 'phones around that price range ~£100, £130 tops. Portability is a bonus so I don't need to buy a separate pair of earphones for travel, but not essential.  The same with isolation, it would be handy if sound was being contained and didn't spill out annoying everyone in the office, but I don't generally listen to music loud while I work.  Comfort is important because I could be wearing them for several hours.  I don't mind buying a portable amp for while I travel, then keeping a desktop amp by my workstation, but I won't spend out on this, I'll get the cheapest acceptable amp (Fiio I expect).  I use my Samsung Galaxy S2 for travel listening, but expect to upgrade to a Sony Xperia Z and/or Sansa clip+ sometime soon.

Has anyone had any experience with these headphones and could they recommend either to me?

Thanks!

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 3
The AKG's are better at bass no doubt and they are easy to drive so you won't need an amp (of course it's always better with an amp but not necessary). The Senns are very good but are more neutral with some might say a too harsh treble (i personally don't mind) and while they deliver good bass, it isn't as good as the AKG's.

Both has good isolation so unless you blast your music it won't be a problem.

Personally i also think the AKG's are a better overall headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back