Sennheiser HD228 initial thought
Jun 17, 2009 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

astroid

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok got these last night and have burnt them in over night, been listening for 4 hrs so far today , heres what i think....
The build is very good, hard plastic and all connections look solid, i think they will take a beating in your bag, they DONT fold just in case you thought they were PX200 types.
They are small enough to be considered portable though.
COMFY, oh soooo comfy, you could wear these babies all day, they are not hollow like my PX200s (they dont have donut pads), the only other headphone i have seen that has a similar pad is the (cough) Bose quiet comfort 3s.
They also block out a lot of noise and dont leak, perfect for the office.
I put on my test tracks, firstly Tropicalia by Beck , this track has very seperated and distinct layers of intruments all playing at once and a poor pair of cans can lose the plot quite easily, the HD228s are great with this track, they have a warmth to their sound that counters the analytical top end nicely without muddying the procedings.
At the moment the mids are a little recessed , a smidgen compared to my HD555s , the top end is perfect and the bass is amazingly wide and deep for a pair of £50 cans.

The next track is by the walkmen, Donde Esta La Playa, this track gives the bass a major workout, it has an organ playing in it that can easily ruin the song on speakers or headphones with a poor bass reproduction (i had a pair of q acoustic 1020s and this track was unlistenable on them).
The HD228s give this track a good go, the bass doesnt fall apart but it isnt as detailed as on my HD555s.

The last track i used is golden years by Bowie, it is a greeat example to use for soundstage, the HD228s soundstage is medium, not as good as my HD555 or even my Sennheiser cx95 IEMs but on a par with the Koss UR40, i would say they go out to the left and right about a meter/meter and a half.
This may improve with more burn in.

With More burn in I hope the bass on these doesnt calm down at the expense of the lovely warmth they have, these phones have made me remember that accuracy and cold sterile detail has its place but god so does warmth, flow and color.

These phones are sooo pleasureable to listen to ,They get your feet tapping and you are singing along before you know it. I know they are not HIFI , they are colored , but that color is beautiful.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 29
These sound like a fun pair. My PMX 200 are nearing the end of their life. Would you say these are a big step up from the PX 200's?

How well does your ipod touch drive these? I have a classic 120 gb, and my denon 751's dont reach very high volumes, it is an EU model though...

Thanks for the review and look forward to more feedback.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 29
They are in a different league from the PX200s, the PX200s have a distance in the way they sound, they are quite flat in comparison to the HS228s as well.
My touch (uk volume limited) can power them fine at around 2/3 , 3/4 is about as high as i need to go with older albums like the stones etc.

I have let a few collegues try them (ones with good ears and cans) and they agree that they are a pleasure to listen too, its weird but if you break the sound down into its parts, lows , mids etc they are nothing spectacular but the whole spectrum comes together and just works.

I can see me buying the open HD238s for the house and keeping these for office/travel.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 29
Thanks very much for this review. I fully intend to pick up a pair of these, but I am just waiting for the right deal. They were $50 on Amazon for awhile but are now back up to $80.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 29
Its good to hear that they are powered fine by an ipod.

I will just have to wait for them to come in stock on amazon. For £30 these sound like a great deal.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 29
I just got mine today. I like them.

Compared to portapros, they have less boosted bass (but can still produce a good bit of bass) and treble (still good detail, justa less U-shaped curve) and are much more comfortable. The pleather appears to be the newish oil-resistant variety. They are less sensitive than my IEMS (SE530), but that is to be expected.

They isolate a bit, pretty similar to sennheiser's pc headsets (the smaller pc-155 or pc-160). More than an open phone, less than a fullsize closed phone (DT250, HD25).

The headband retains its extension "Setting", which to me is the most annoying failing of the portapro. You can find them for ~$50 from zipzoomfly.

Pretty worth it for an easily transportable closedish office headphone.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got mine today. I like them.

Compared to portapros, they have less boosted bass (but can still produce a good bit of bass) and treble (still good detail, justa less U-shaped curve) and are much more comfortable. The pleather appears to be the newish oil-resistant variety. They are less sensitive than my IEMS (SE530), but that is to be expected.

They isolate a bit, pretty similar to sennheiser's pc headsets (the smaller pc-155 or pc-160). More than an open phone, less than a fullsize closed phone (DT250, HD25).

The headband retains its extension "Setting", which to me is the most annoying failing of the portapro. You can find them for ~$50 from zipzoomfly.

Pretty worth it for an easily transportable closedish office headphone.

I am glad to hear the bass is not overdone. With "Excellent Bass" in the product title, I was worried they would be like the HD202.

Also, I agree with you on the PortaPro not holding it's extension. That's a failing of that headphone.

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #10 of 29
Ok been using these for around a week now and i have relegated my usual travel companions Klipsch Custom 1,2 and EX500lp to my sock drawer.
I am finding it difficult to go back to them after using the HD228.
The bass has calmed a little but thankfully they have retained the warmth and excitment i loved about them initially.
They are quite hard cans to drive, my Ipod Touch needs to be at 3/4 at least when on the bus, at work around 2/3 is plenty but i may have to start using my fiio E5 (gonna tape it to the back of my Touch case).
Overall i am over the moon with these cans, they are a bargain at £30 and i would not hesitate paying the full RRP for them, only problem is they have spoiled my IEMs for me and i now am fully infected with the full size can flu!

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #12 of 29
Cool, I just ordered some HD228s from jr.com, shipped out yesterday.

Needed some 'phones for walking the dog, going to the beach, etc.

Will post once they've arrived. Sounds like they'll be fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3v!n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
soudns good

really wanna pick up a pair, was wondering how these felt when using glasses or sunglasses

Fine, they sit on the ears so dont disrupt how your shades sit much at all.

I bought some SR60i the other day, they are better than the HD228s , shame they dont isolate at all!

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fine, they sit on the ears so dont disrupt how your shades sit much at all.

I bought some SR60i the other day, they are better than the HD228s , shame they dont isolate at all!

i think a closed version of sr60i wont sound good.. :p
i'm thinking of buying this baby.. but it is US$70 around here.. do u think it is still worth it? thx
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back