Sennheiser HD201
Jun 29, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wong
The thing that has me curious is, what would they sound like with an aftermarket cable? I asked Tyll half jokingly about this, but, am quite intrigued by the idea.

I'll have that worked out by the end of next week.

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
I'll have that worked out by the end of next week.

I'm thinking about it, too... These cables don't seem to be removable, either... i don't want to yank on them too hard and find out, though ;D

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #19 of 31
Great sound, comfortable, well worth the money, but the 10 ft cord is just rediculous. If you can get past that, these cans are budget-heaven.

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #20 of 31
I got these headphones for over a month now. I really dont understand how people can recommend them. They are crap.

These are my first full size headphones. I was using my mx500 at home too but certainly they werent so comfortable and the short cord was a problem but I enjoyed listening music with them a lot. Now with these hd201 music sounds too unnaturall, too bassy. In fact the sound quality is so bad its like listening music underwater. When you rise the volume you will hear distortion on bass which needs to be decresead to make it more listenable.
Yes somehow I got used to the sound with time but this doesnt change the fact that these headphones are crap and I`m going to buy something else soon.

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #21 of 31
what other equipment are you using the 201's with? i listened to a set of 201's out of my rig (Yamaha DV-S5770 + Singlepower PPX3), and i heard no major distortion, or anything similar to an underwater effect.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #23 of 31
for 20 bucks, i stil believe the KSC-35 to be the better value by far (20 bucks on ebay in Creative's dump off of NOS right now). The HD201 has scooped out mids, even worse than a stock DT770, and the resulting exaggerated bass is flabby and the highs are thin/anemic. It wasn't my cup of tea at all, especially when compared to the forward mids of the KSC-35 and its big brassy boomy bass (which can get out of control without a 75 ohm adapter and an amp, to be fair). If I had to use one of these outside on the go, it would be the KSC-35, since it would cut through the mix and give some substance to the tunes. But yes, for a closed can the 201 sure seems like a bargain, especially for those who don't like the clips and the open nature of the KSC-35.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
The HD201 has scooped out mids, even worse than a stock DT770, and the resulting exaggerated bass is flabby and the highs are thin/anemic.

Actually, I find the FR of the HD201 to be a good match for an iPod, since the iPods are best used without EQ, and the 201 gives one kind of a "built-in" loudness switch. They certainly are not the last word in neutrality, and I have never heard the Koss, but I think the sound of the 201s is pretty impressive for the money. The similarly priced HD437s sound better though, so if you don;t need a closed can, but want one that rests comfortable on the ear, I recomend the 437 instead.

Jul 5, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #25 of 31
marcelproust, are you EQing the low frequencies? There has indeed been mention by some members that the HD201s will produce bass distortion when bumped up in that area.

Regarding the underwater effect - you just might be the type of person that dislikes the nature of closed-headphone sound. If that is the case, by all means try the Koss KSC-75/35 for a good, inexpensive taste of sound.

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #26 of 31
Is anyone else having a harder time driving them unamped. Compared to my HD280's, they need a higher volume for the same loudness. Oh, btw, where's the bass?
confused.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
marcelproust, are you EQing the low frequencies? There has indeed been mention by some members that the HD201s will produce bass distortion when bumped up in that area.

Regarding the underwater effect - you just might be the type of person that dislikes the nature of closed-headphone sound. If that is the case, by all means try the Koss KSC-75/35 for a good, inexpensive taste of sound.

I didnt change the low frequencies but the bass was too boomy. OK, I have now a little more experiment with these headphones since my last post here.

So far I had connected them to the headphones output of my Roland DM-10 active speakers which are connected to my PC,cd player and dab radio. I have always experimented the distortion on bass with high volumes but this wasnt the biggest problem since I dont like so high volumes anyway. But the main issue was the strange sound caming from a deepness. The sound overall isnt so detailed. The highs arent so sharp but they are still there. The mids come deeper than they should be. The bass is loose. I dont know how to describe the bass with my english. Its like its to slow to respond comparing to the mids and highs. The bass is like always following from the behind. Its like I have but my head in a metal box.
I have tried them now by connecting to a samsung micro hi-fi cd player, dab portal 1 radio and iriver ifp-780 mp3 player. Well yes there is less bass distortion with the cd payer and dab radio meaning that the distortion startes only with more higher volumes. There is almost no distortion with the mp3 player and the volume wasnt very high at maximum level.
In short I dont like these headphones. I like clear, detailed and natural sound which you will find none of them here. Yes the SQ is better when decreasing the bass and maybe with an headphone amp they would be more listenable I guess.

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #28 of 31
Kind of off-topic, but for those of you that have taken the HD201 apart - is there any dampening material behind the drivers?

Jul 5, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #30 of 31
Well, my Ecost order for the HD201 Cans has just gone on backorder. They may be junk (sic) but, they are popular.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back