Sennheiser HD 800 VS Grado PS 1000
May 14, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #196 of 202
I don't mind the look of Grado's, it's just I think the build quality should be a lot better.
I have the LCD-XC's and I think their build quality is very good, the only thing I didn't like about those Audeze's was their headband, I found it made them too uncomfortable which is why I put a completely different headband on.
With this new headband my LCD-XC's are still quite heavy, but I find them to be very comfortable.

Dec 25, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #198 of 202
Ok, so seeing how old this thread is, my answer is irrelevant, but I though I'd share my impressions nevertheless. Last year I attended the Vienna meet, where I had the chance to audition both of these headphones, and I have to say that out of all headphones, and there was a lot, including Th-900, He-6, T1 and so on and so forth, these were the two that really stood out to me. Oh yes, and the Fidelio X2, but that is black magic for the price and is a totally different story. 

So, both of these headphones were powered by an IFI iCan, and neither of them was used in ideal listening environment, the meet being quite busy and filled with noise. First impression of the HD800 was the feel and comfort for me. It was the most incredible feeling to have that beast on my head, and when music started to play, I was introduced to that nice harsh bright sound, wich, for some reason attracts me a lot. Way more than a bassy can for example. Ideal sound signature to say the least. I was impressed by the airiness, level of detail and how it caught my attention. It really made me listen!

Now the grado is a comparison only because they have a slightly similar sound signature. Bright. And to be hones, that's really how I like me music. The first impressions with the grado started with the music playing. It was far from comfortable or a nice feeling, but man, that soundstage! Just incredible! I was in the music! I found myself turning all around and looking for the sources of sounds, it really made me feel I was in the hall where the music was recorded. 

As a wrap up of the most that came to be much longer than planned, I have to say that the HD800 is better from a technical standpoint, but oh the Grados made me drop my chin, it was a whole new world! Sennheiser was just a headphone, only much much better in all respect. Grado was nothing capable of description. Unique, albeit specific to music and amplification, but such a joy, and undoubtedly superior in certain cases.

Cheers, and a merry Christmas!

Almos

Dec 25, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #199 of 202
Ok, so seeing how old this thread is, my answer is irrelevant, but I though I'd share my impressions nevertheless. Last year I attended the Vienna meet, where I had the chance to audition both of these headphones, and I have to say that out of all headphones, and there was a lot, including Th-900, He-6, T1 and so on and so forth, these were the two that really stood out to me. Oh yes, and the Fidelio X2, but that is black magic for the price and is a totally different story. 

So, both of these headphones were powered by an IFI iCan, and neither of them was used in ideal listening environment, the meet being quite busy and filled with noise. First impression of the HD800 was the feel and comfort for me. It was the most incredible feeling to have that beast on my head, and when music started to play, I was introduced to that nice harsh bright sound, wich, for some reason attracts me a lot. Way more than a bassy can for example. Ideal sound signature to say the least. I was impressed by the airiness, level of detail and how it caught my attention. It really made me listen!

Now the grado is a comparison only because they have a slightly similar sound signature. Bright. And to be hones, that's really how I like me music. The first impressions with the grado started with the music playing. It was far from comfortable or a nice feeling, but man, that soundstage! Just incredible! I was in the music! I found myself turning all around and looking for the sources of sounds, it really made me feel I was in the hall where the music was recorded. 

As a wrap up of the most that came to be much longer than planned, I have to say that the HD800 is better from a technical standpoint, but oh the Grados made me drop my chin, it was a whole new world! Sennheiser was just a headphone, only much much better in all respect. Grado was nothing capable of description. Unique, albeit specific to music and amplification, but such a joy, and undoubtedly superior in certain cases.

Cheers, and a merry Christmas!

Almos

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #200 of 202
i've compared the hd800 and ps1000 several times. the hd800 sounded more balanced and nimble, while the ps1000 was comparatively lumbering. it's as though the hd800's presentation starts from the top down and the ps1000's from the bottom up.

the ps1000 reproduces music with more tonal saturation than the hd800 and imbues it with a verve that the hd800 lacks to my ears.

so while the ps1000 may be technically outclassed by the hd800 in direct comparisons, i've found the ps1000 to be the more engaging can in extended listening sessions. call it coloration, total harmonic distortion or whatever you like, but i like to call it soul and the grado's got it in spades. :)

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #201 of 202
Agreed:to my ears, HD800 is the most boring of high-end era, so clean and neat to the point of dullness. I kept it just a few days. Ultrasonic 10 and Th900 make my day every day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back