Sennheiser HD 800 - is it tough enough?
Jun 16, 2011 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Betamaster

New Head-Fier
Hello all

I'm a long time user of the Sennheiser HD650 and I think it's time for an upgrade / replacement. Firstly, some background info. I use my current 650 at least 4 hours each weekday and about 12 hours across a weekend. I often go to sleep wearing them and 'drop' the headphone to the floor next to my bed during the night, typically by lowering them while holding onto the cable. I've replaced most parts 2 or 3 times and I'm onto my second 650. Sometimes I use them while on public transport so they get knocked around a little in wearing them / storing in bags etc. I don't see it as I mistreat my headphones, rather I'm a heavy and frequent user.

Rather than get another 650 I'm looking at the 800 as a possible replacement. I'm slightly concerned however the 800 is not as tough as the 650 for how I use it. The cable, for example, to me seems to stick out more than what it does on the 650 and may bend or break more easily if I have them on and turn my head while in bed.

Any opinions?

I'm also heading over to Germany in a couple of months and I'm curious if there is any significant price difference compared with international prices (I'm in Australia). If anyone has any experience / knowledge of prices in Germany please let me know.

I appreciate all positive replies.

Thanks.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 15
Err, why not just put them in the case? I don't see why you would drop them when you can just place the case open right there..

The HD800 are not something I would ever use on public transport, or outside in general. Leaks way too much, is too fragile, etc..

Yes, the HD800 are more fragile than the HD650. The cable, however, is replaceable.

Jun 16, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #3 of 15
I don't think hd800 will be better than hd650 in this case.. get something like ed8 or sony z1000/7520, those are tough.

...just interested, are you 'that' Betamaster?

Jun 16, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 15
HD800 doesn't make sense to me here either. It's a lot less portable than the HD650, which itself isn't all that portable unless you change the cables to a shorter one terminated in a 3.5mm jack (I did this). 

The HD650 does indeed feel more rugged than the HD800.

Perhaps you should be looking for a real portable set like either the ED8, or some other more rugged choices like the DT1350 or T50p. 

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 15
Yea seriously, I can't imagine lugging a pair of HD800's let alone a pair of HD650's outside.  The denting of the grills and the chips in the paint is almost too much to handle.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 15
I should clarify I mostly use my 650 at home. I have another headphone I leave at work. Even at home, however, chips in the paint and needing to replace the cups for cleanliness etc is a common affair. Also the cable gets a decent work out, typically with me running over it with the wheels of my office chair.

I own a DT1350 and while it's pretty good I can't bring myself to use them at home. The quality of the 650 is simply amazing.

One of the reasons why I'm looking at the 800 is for comfort. Sometimes the clasping sensation of the 650 gets too much from long term use. From what I hear this is improved with the 800.

So ... I have some things to think about. Judging from the comments it seems the 800 isn't up to the challenge for how I use them.

Just out of curiosity, if you have a 800 do you ever use them lying down? What's the experience like? (eg. comfort etc if you turn your head while resting on a cushion / lounge).

@ kn, not for some time now.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 15
The HD800 are better built and less prone to breaking than the 650s. However, I'm more concerned about you not liking the sound, considering your love for the 650s.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 15
Have to admit hd650 are tougher. On the other hand, hd800s are much more comfortable. Hd 650s sound so differenct from hd800s. Maybe you shoud get some d7000s instead.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 15
I would advise against the D7000, especially if the OP is looking for durability, which is not a strong suit of the higher-end Denon line.  How about the Audez'e LCD-2 instead?  It shares similar sonic characteristics with the HD650, but with improvements across the board.  You'll probably need to upgrade your amplifier if you decide to go done this path.

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
I would advise against the D7000, especially if the OP is looking for durability, which is not a strong suit of the higher-end Denon line.  How about the Audez'e LCD-2 instead?  It shares similar sonic characteristics with the HD650, but with improvements across the board.  You'll probably need to upgrade your amplifier if you decide to go done this path.

D7000 is definitely not durable enough to withstand his constant dropping (seriously, just put a case on the floor). LCD2 is of course amazing, but it is one of the worst cans I can think of for "going to sleep" with, way too heavy and large.

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #13 of 15
    Quote:
D7000 is definitely not durable enough to withstand his constant dropping (seriously, just put a case on the floor). LCD2 is of course amazing, but it is one of the worst cans I can think of for "going to sleep" with, way too heavy and large.

Or, you could say his neck muscles will be getting toned while he sleeps immersed in fantastic audio.
wink_face.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
I should clarify I mostly use my 650 at home. I have another headphone I leave at work. Even at home, however, chips in the paint and needing to replace the cups for cleanliness etc is a common affair. Also the cable gets a decent work out, typically with me running over it with the wheels of my office chair.

The HD800 finish chips very easily. I've got a ton of chips on mine. The metal drills can get dents in them, but I haven't managed to do this to my pair. I tend to treat my gear like crap, although not intentionally. I have gotten better over time about it though. I've run over the HD800 cable many times now with my office chair. I've stepped on the cable. I've put the leg of a stool over the cable. I've dropped the phone from the nightstand many times (on carpet.) No malfunctions yet.

Quote:
One of the reasons why I'm looking at the 800 is for comfort. Sometimes the clasping sensation of the 650 gets too much from long term use. From what I hear this is improved with the 800.

Yeah. None of that "your head in a vice" thing with the HD800. Although the very top tip of my head hurts a little bit sometimes, but that's because of the shape of the top of my skull.

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, if you have a 800 do you ever use them lying down? What's the experience like? (eg. comfort etc if you turn your head while resting on a cushion / lounge).

I fall asleep wearing them at night on a fairly regular basis. The phones are so large that they tend to keep your head straight up rather than turned. If you have a very fluffy pillow and are inclined a little bit, you can turn your head a little (my wife seems to do this all the time, I get nervous about it, but the headphone's stayed in one piece so far.) Being an open headphone, the sound doesn't seem to screw up all that badly when you do so either.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:

The HD800 finish chips very easily. I've got a ton of chips on mine. The metal drills can get dents in them, but I haven't managed to do this to my pair. I tend to treat my gear like crap, although not intentionally. I have gotten better over time about it though. I've run over the HD800 cable many times now with my office chair. I've stepped on the cable. I've put the leg of a stool over the cable. I've dropped the phone from the nightstand many times (on carpet.) No malfunctions yet.

Quote:

Yeah. None of that "your head in a vice" thing with the HD800. Although the very top tip of my head hurts a little bit sometimes, but that's because of the shape of the top of my skull.

Quote:

I fall asleep wearing them at night on a fairly regular basis. The phones are so large that they tend to keep your head straight up rather than turned. If you have a very fluffy pillow and are inclined a little bit, you can turn your head a little (my wife seems to do this all the time, I get nervous about it, but the headphone's stayed in one piece so far.) Being an open headphone, the sound doesn't seem to screw up all that badly when you do so either.

I remember you nearly left them at goldenears place, I had to call you LOL
Yours are kinda beat up...

Owning both the HD650 and the HD800's I would suggest a Ultrasone offering ED8 or Pro900's perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back