Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 28, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,292 of 3,545

Quote:
My earlier question still stands, though: does Sennheiser require all of the retailers to demo the HD800 and, eventually, the HD700?  If not, I think the pricing strategies won't be as helpful to those stores that offer demos as some maintain.

Sennheiser requires the dealer to have high quality demonstration facilities - if they don't they don't get to be an HD 800 dealer.

They don't require an actual demo., but the dealer has to have a demonstration pair in stock and quality demonstration facilities.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #1,293 of 3,545

Quote:
Except the shops will come back if the online prices rise that much...

Not necessarily - The original shop will be gone, the expertise will be gone and it would be new shops starting from scratch - not that easy...

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #1,294 of 3,545
Quote:
Not necessarily - The original shop will be gone, the expertise will be gone and it would be new shops starting from scratch - not that easy...

Those dedicated headphone shops that people were talking about managed to start under this climate of cut rate online prices on pretty much all but the flagship models so I don't see how they'd have it any worse if online prices went up.

They don't need much expertise anyway.  The ability to demo a lot of stuff before you buy is far more important.  Almost all of those online stores do just fine without any expertise.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #1,295 of 3,545

Quote:
So, for anyone getting the HD700, does it still have the same plugs as the HD800, and will you use the same aftermarket (if you have one) cable?

Nope, they are like small 1/8th inch TRS style with a small cutout so they only snap in place a certain way. Kind of a nice system, though probably tough for aftermarket cable makers. 

Quote:
Sennheiser requires the dealer to have high quality demonstration facilities - if they don't they don't get to be an HD 800 dealer.

They don't require an actual demo., but the dealer has to have a demonstration pair in stock and quality demonstration facilities.

I wonder how that works for Best Buy. Do they just plug it in to their most expensive surround receiver and call it properly driven? I suppose if they have a "Magnolia" section they might have a decent Marantz or Yamaha integrated with headphone jack. Still, not ideal.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,296 of 3,545

Quote:
Nope, they are like small 1/8th inch TRS style with a small cutout so they only snap in place a certain way. Kind of a nice system, though probably tough for aftermarket cable makers. 

2.5mm TS for HD700?  China will be churning those out soon.  =D
2.5mm TS/TRS DIY plugs are already all over the place.

Then there will be $100 rhodium-plated plugs by Cardas, lol.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #1,297 of 3,545

Quote:

2.5mm TS for HD700?  China will be churning those out soon.  =D
2.5mm TS/TRS DIY plugs are already all over the place.

Then there will be $100 rhodium-plated plugs by Cardas, lol.

I meant it would be difficult due to the little notch they have on there, combined with the relatively deep insertion required. It will be more difficult to make a big flashy connector. I'm sure they will figure it out though. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,299 of 3,545

Quote:

How does that work with online retailers (e.g., Amazon)?  Do they need to offer some sort of trial period?

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #1,300 of 3,545

Quote:
Not talking about the HD650, thought I made my position clear on the 650 issue earlier.  Something else entirely not directed at your point, sorry for the confusion.

I was confused because it seemed you made the point about American voter-enacted policies in direct response to my point about the HD650:

"Street price jumped up 40%.  Retail price is the same it has been, no change.  Blame the storefront and American voters.  Have you been to the grocery store lately?"

That said, I think I can drop my point about HD650 pricing being in service of the promotion of the HD700.  I'm not entirely convinced the two are unrelated, but you and others have shown it could just as likely be a normal, periodic price fluctuation.  No need to keep flogging this dead horse.

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #1,302 of 3,545
deadhorse.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #1,303 of 3,545

Looks like these may not appear until late March in Australia according to some reports

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #1,304 of 3,545
Was it all..... a hoax 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,305 of 3,545

Quote:
How does that work with online retailers (e.g., Amazon)?  Do they need to offer some sort of trial period?

I have no idea - the USA is different from all other countries - there should be no on-line retailers in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back