Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 13, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #649 of 3,545
Will there be any sonic changes? Perhaps slightly sweeter or less pronounced high's and a bit more emphasis on the lows? 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Coupled with that huge sound stage and gorgeous detail, I think that would be a match made somewhere very nice indeed.

Quote:
The HD 700 will be available from March onwards. Do note that our review panel received pre-production samples and that we've made some aesthetic changes for the final production unit.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #650 of 3,545
Rosmadi - have you had much feedback from CES? How is the general public liking them (HD700) so far?

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #651 of 3,545
I'm a new headphone junkie, I have the new HD428's and this review makes me want to upgrade soon, soon as my wallet fattens. I am 
experimenting with my can's connected to my Asus sound card directly to hear the wolfson dac's vs the Yamaha's burr-brown. Fun
for sure, so many variables from the asus audio center Xonar DS really rocks Tom Petty's new "MOJO" release. Cheers! and
nice review, thanks.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #652 of 3,545

Quote:

Some good points you brought up. You may want to ask LFF how the HD700 sounded with modest amps. Sure he's got my BA with the super tubes on loan, but I know his regular everyday rig is very very modest. Let me summon him so he can confirm the drive-ability of the HD700 on modest amps.

With modest to low end amps the HD700 sounded good. I thought it sounded great out of the Objective 2 (although a tad on the bright side IMHO). The HD700, like the HD800, can really use the benefits of tubes.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #653 of 3,545

Quote:

With modest to low end amps the HD700 sounded good. I thought it sounded great out of the Objective 2 (although a tad on the bright side IMHO). The HD700, like the HD800, can really use the benefits of tubes.

Hey LFF what sounds better on the O2? The HD700 or HD800?

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #654 of 3,545

Quote:
Hey LFF what sounds better on the O2? The HD700 or HD800?

Dude...you got me there....I have not heard the HD800 on the O2. 
frown.gif

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #656 of 3,545

Quote:

I agree on both accounts.

HD700 sounds good out of the modest amps I've tried: Yulong A100, Matrix M-Stage, even the headphone out of Audinst HUD-mx1 is quite listenable. I'd generally take the HD700 over the HD800 when using a low-mid range amp, just based on my small sample of half a dozen. 

That said, I do ultimately prefer the HD700 with the same amps that I liked with the HD800. My favorite is tubes. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #657 of 3,545
How did the HD700 sound on V200, project86? 

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #658 of 3,545

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, and I can't still get over the excessive amount of comments about the looks of this headphone.

I can't imagine a situation where someone would genuinely care for the looks of a multi hundred dollar fully open headphone.

-Are you guys going to buy this to put on display??? yes. One perfect example is the LCD2 wooden & satin case.

-Are you gonna to reach for another open, non portable, headphone in your collection JUST BECAUSE IT LOOKS BETTER? yes, I'm currently in love with my red & chrome DT990, and reaching for it now...

-Are you going to conduct your private listening sessions in front of a mirror, constantly admiring how beautiful you look with these on? maybe...I'll make sure no one is around first before I attempt this.

-Or are do you want 'others' to look at you- as it's for home use only, with others I mean family members. Trust me, with the amount open headphones leak, any buystander would just feels like smashing the hd700's up. They won't say it out of kindness though!

You're deluding yourself if you think people buy headphones based on sonic qualities alone. People base their decisions on looks a lot more than you think. And headphones companies know it. I imagine they spend quite a bit of $$$ hiring people with design talents to make headphones look good.

No, I'm talking about looks only. My main criteria for headphone buying is actualy isolation, not SQ.

Beats and bose, yes- looks are very important. But for a £500+ headfi/audiophile exclusive headphones, not really a major factor. AKG k1000, senn hd800, lcd3, stax.... are (imo) all pretty ugly as far as headphones go. But I bet any of their owners ain't loosing sleep over it.  

But you've one hell of a wallet if the lcd's are just a display ornament.

ps: you're not seriously saying you reach for the dt990's because they look better. That's impossible. 

I'm tired of this thread already.

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #660 of 3,545

Users who are viewing this thread

Back