Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #541 of 3,545

Quote:
 I've only clarified or stated LFF's opinions in a different way. (My personal opinion on the headphone does differ slightly from this though.) There's a lot more information that isn't "generally known" which we have not released and won't until either the headphone goes retail or until January 31.

Of all the comments on this soap opera, the above is what I find the most interesting.

So the views expressed to date are not actually purrin's views and there is a lot more to come?  I would prefer LFF to post his opinions and purrin to only post his own.  That would seem the most appropriate way to do it.

Opinions may or may not be moderated by commercial restraints (as Jude is accused of on occasion) and positive reviews shouldn't just be seen as either dishonest, not the full truth or fanboyism, whilst reviews that contain negative comments be viewed as honest and complete.  They are both simply views and opinions.  If a person doesn't reflect their true opinion for whatever reason, how honest is that view?

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #542 of 3,545

Quote:
Of all the comments on this soap opera, the above is what I find the most interesting.

So the views expressed to date are not actually purrin's views and there is a lot more to come?  I would prefer LFF to post his opinions and purrin to only post his own.  That would seem the most appropriate way to do it.

Opinions may or may not be moderated by commercial restraints (as Jude is accused of on occasion) and positive reviews shouldn't just be seen as either dishonest, not the full truth or fanboyism, whilst reviews that contain negative comments be viewed as honest and complete.  They are both simply views and opinions.  If a person doesn't reflect their true opinion for whatever reason, how honest is that view?

For those who don't know, LFF and I are good friends. Basically he is only one of two or three people on the planet that I would lend my BA to with the $1500-$2000 un-obtanium tubes I've got on them.

To answer your question, our subjective observations have always been remarkably consistent, although our personal opinions may differ. The reason why our subjective observations are consistent is because our ears are "trained." He does mastering work, and I've had access to measuring equipment, built speakers, and have sat behind mixing consoles. I only commented in this thread because LFF suggested to me that I should do the same to provide another data point. I actually did not read his observations first, but it turned out, to no surprise, that they were consistent with my own. Our opinions do differ on the headphone's characteristics though. He likes the HD700 more than I do!

As for the "lot more to come" or whatever: what I meant was that at this time, I was not going to point out peak at X, ringing at Y like I how usually do. This is certainly not general knowledge (but rather specialized knowledge) and we don't want to get near to violating the NDA. And BTW I can actually do this with reasonable accuracy without taking measurements. LFF can do this do. This only difference is that LFF might say lower treble and I might say 7kHz. This is only because I've measured a zillion headphones (and speaker drivers) already and see these graphs on an almost daily basis, not because I have any special powers.

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #543 of 3,545
Something I haven't seen commented on yet is whether the HD 700 has hinges, that is ones that rotates the driver left to right as opposed to just up and down. Something the HD 6XX and 800 both have.

The pictures don't seem to show any hinge.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #545 of 3,545

Quote:

As for the "lot more to come" or whatever: what I meant was that at this time, I was not going to point out peak at X, ringing at Y like I how usually do. This is certainly not general knowledge (but rather specialized knowledge) and we don't want to get near to violating the NDA. And BTW I can actually do this with reasonable accuracy without taking measurements. LFF can do this do. This only difference is that LFF might say lower treble and I might say 7kHz. This is only because I've measured a zillion headphones (and speaker drivers) already and see these graphs on an almost daily basis, not because I have any special powers.

I still think you have special powers.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #546 of 3,545

Quote:

So do I....

This guy has consistently nailed measurements BY EAR before actually measuring them with his tools and equipment. He did so with my Paradox, he did so IN FRONT OF Mr. Speakers for his RastaPants2.1, 2.2, etc and other headphones. His accuracy is scary good. I'm proud to call him my friend....and this is excluding the fact that he is a super nice guy.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #547 of 3,545
One thing the "sneak preview" people all seemed to agree on - the HD700 is very comfortable, up there with the very best. The prototype didn't have a ton of padding on the top section but they plan on adding more. Even so, I find that the light weight and roomy earpads are perfect for me.

The only potential issue would be for really small heads. It isn't as bad as the HiFiMAN models, but I'm not sure how well it will accommodate a tiny noggin. Small to moderate size should be fine. 

EDIT: This was in response to the question about the cups swiveling. Man this thread moves fast!

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #548 of 3,545

No doubt his skills are great, along with LFF, both are supremely skilled and knowledgeable, BUT people have to remember that their preferences may not be everyone's preferences. A great example of this is their disfavor for Auduz'e (perhaps excluded R2), Although there is little doubt their critique is accurate from a technical perspective, there is also very little doubt that the LCD-2 R1 was one of the most talked about/beloved headphone since perhaps the HD650s. Were they hyped, sure, but hype can only get you so far. Plus other members who are also audio professionals consider the R1 and then the R2 to be their favorite headphone for music listening (obviously not for mastering or other professional work), but many have impressive resume of their own.

Just a thought for people to consider...
Quote:

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #549 of 3,545
Quote:
One thing the "sneak preview" people all seemed to agree on - the HD700 is very comfortable, up there with the very best. The prototype didn't have a ton of padding on the top section but they plan on adding more. Even so, I find that the light weight and roomy earpads are perfect for me.

The only potential issue would be for really small heads. It isn't as bad as the HiFiMAN models, but I'm not sure how well it will accommodate a tiny noggin. Small to moderate size should be fine. 

EDIT: This was in response to the question about the cups swiveling. Man this thread moves fast!

uhh.. so do the swivel or not? The video shows the drivers pivoting as in rotating about the at the attachment to the yoke but I don't see any rotation of the yoke relative to the head band. Does it have the same spring loaded system like on the HD 800?

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #550 of 3,545

Dude... seriously? They obviously swivel, even the HD598 swivels...

Quote:
uhh.. so do the swivel or not? The video shows the drivers pivoting as in rotating about the at the attachment to the yoke but I don't see any rotation of the yoke relative to the head band. Does it have the same spring loaded system like on the HD 800?

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #551 of 3,545

Quote:
No doubt his skills are great, along with LFF, both are supremely skilled and knowledgeable, BUT people have to remember that their preferences may not be everyone's preferences. A great example of this is their disfavor for Auduz'e (perhaps excluded R2), Although there is little doubt their critique is accurate from a technical perspective, there is also very little doubt that the LCD-2 R1 was one of the most talked about/beloved headphone since perhaps the HD650s. Were they hyped, sure, but hype can only get you so far. Plus other members who are also audio professionals consider the R1 and then the R2 to be their favorite headphone for music listening (obviously not for mastering or other professional work), but many have impressive resume of their own.

Just a thought for people to consider...

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know about Purrin but I will speak for myself....

I totally understand that people like different flavors. Not surprisingly...my favorite ice cream is Vanilla. However, my wife loves strawberry and I know others who love chocolate, caramel and even rainbow! I HATE rainbow but I am thankful that people who love rainbow have that option. Why? Because they smile while they enjoy them. It's the same for headphones. I love neutral and natural but I know I am in the minority. I can completely understand if people love a colored sound. If that's what you like...awesome! That's why I always note in my posts that they are MY opinions.

People pm me all the time asking about X headphone and I will give them my HONEST OPINION and I tell them that it is such and that they should listen to it for themselves. After you listen...then decide.

What I dislike in certain threads is when people claim X headphone is neutral/natural when it is clearly not. Neutral sounding is simply something that measures flat - that is a flat frequency response. Audio professionals and even most experienced audiophiles know this. That's the only thing that bugs me....misinformation, false knowledge and people pulling ideas/"facts" out of their rear pockets.

For the record....I don't hate any headphone except for BEATS which sound totally un-listenable to me.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #552 of 3,545
Hmm. Well as someone who listened for quite a while to the HD800 before plumping for the LCD2's these leave me even colder and make me glad I made the choice I did. I think considering the mass manufacturing of these, the pretty much all plastic construction and what seems to be a fairly ordinary driver I would have thought nearer $700 would have been a better price not a thousand. I never found the sound signature of the HD800 to be emotionally involving and from reading the few reviews so far which all seem to think it does things in a lesser fashion than the HD800 I just wonder at the pricing!

Remember if comparing to Audeze with Audeze your paying for a more bespoke build in much lower volumes with much more organic materials used and I am sure they still make a profit, I cannot begin to imagine the profit margin for Sennheiser on these. It just seems they think, hey, lets charge a thousand bucks as there are people who will pay it for the Sennheiser name!

I used to love Sennheiser, my first pair of "real headphones" were from them but their designs leave me as cool as their sound signature now! Also, one of the worst things about the HD800 was that cheap tinselly mesh, every time you pick them up your fingers naturally go to the mesh and it bends and feels so cheap and flimsy.

Sorry, from what I have read so far the sound signature won't draw me in and from what I can see nor will the build materials. Thank goodness I ended up with what I did! For me the last truly great headphones Sennheiser made were the HD600's and the HE90's.

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #553 of 3,545

Quote:

My impression was that the HD700 swivel like my HD598 just a few degrees. Moving the front of the cup left to right. I think that is what you are talking about.

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #554 of 3,545
Still costs too much, not reflective of prices.  Audeze and Sennheiser seem to be overly stubborn with their prices.  Hifiman drops their price to $699, everyone else stays the same?  If they don't want to play ball with my wallet and refuse to price accordingly, then they won't receive my business.  

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #555 of 3,545
Not that it matters, but since I raised the issue in the other 700 thread, upon further examination of the construction and materials I'm not as concerned about Senn cracking as I was.  For those who had similar concerns.  Doesn't mean you can't crack anything but they seem much sturdier to me than the lower tiers but less tankinsh build than the 800 obviously.

For those who haven't figured it out yet, LFF and Purrin are actually the same person.  
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back