Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 10, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #91 of 3,545

Quote:
What, you don't see the family resemblance of the HE90/60 to the HD600/650?

Hi SP Wild,
Yes there is, but what I like on the HE90 the most is the wood. If Sennheiser did decide to build a headphone similar to the HE90,  before I bought one I'd have to try it on because sometime ago I bought some HD650's without trying them on and  found them to be very tight on my head, so tight I ended up getting rid.

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #96 of 3,545

Quote:
Just a moment for a little detour, the new Sennheiser Amperior 

They're making an amp which either looks like a headphone or has a built-in headphone.  Whadidisay about these new breeds of uber marketers/engineers fresh outa college.

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #97 of 3,545
Now I'm officially allowed to write about my loaner pair, I'll give some info and quick impressions. Thanks to Sennheiser for giving me the opportunity to evaluate these headphones. I only found out they'd be arriving just before I was due to go on holidays in Australia, so I frantically arranged to get a Triad Audio L3 from a fellow Aussie (which turned out to be a very good move).

First, they are 150 Ohm and seemed to me reasonably easy to drive out of everything from an iPod to my main rig. The loaner pair, which are not final production, are more like what I remember of the HD-800s in overall sound. The frequency response was such that they sound a bit warmer with jazz and classical (there's a drop around 4kHz), but have a treble peak somewhere around the 6-8 kHz mark (as the HD-800s usually do) which emphasises sibilance and, in my opinion, insufficient bass below 100 Hz to have enough kick for more modern music, which sounds somewhat thin to my ears. However, they are very detailed and the imaging with good jazz and classical recordings is absolutely wonderful and the comfort is fantastic. I suspect they are more forward in the mids than the HD-800s were, but I don't have them here to compare. The headphones are so light that I actually complained that the box weighs 4x as much!

I don't reckon the arguments between these and the LCD-2s will be radically different to what the HD-800s vs. them were before. If my feelings about them with the Stacker II are anything to go by, then a good tube amp with them will be the way to go.

Note, however, I have a pre-production pair, so what I say may not apply entirely to the final production version, which I've already been told will have some minor physical changes.

Quote:
Thanks for the official announcement Jude. I'm sure I'll probably end up buying one at some point.

Can you say who were the select few chosen for the exclusive preview? Also does the new headphone have the same headphone cable connector as the HD800? (As in, will aftermarket HD800 cables work on the HD700 too?)

The connector is, as far as I can see, a 2.5mm TS (tip, sleeve) plug. The outer casing of the plugs have a bevel to stop them turning and twisting while plugged in. I reckon the re-cablers are going to have a hellish time with them unless someone gets a custom plug manufactured or gets lucky finding a suitable one.

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #99 of 3,545

Quote:
Now I'm officially allowed to write about my loaner pair, I'll give some info and quick impressions. First, they are 150 Ohm and seemed to me reasonably easy to drive out of everything from an iPod to my main rig. The loaner pair, which are not final production, are more like what I remember of the HD-800s in overall sound. The frequency response was such that they sound a bit warmer with jazz and classical (there's a drop around 4kHz), but have a treble peak somewhere around the 6-8 kHz mark (as the HD-800s usually do) and, IMO, insufficient bass below 100 Hz to have enough kick for more modern music, which sounds somewhat thin IMO. However, they are very detailed and the imaging with good jazz and classical recordings is absolutely wonderful and the comfort is fantastic. I suspect they are more forward in the mids than the HD-800s were, but I don't have them here to compare. The headphones are so light that I actually complained that the box weighs 4x as much!

I don't reckon the arguments between these and the LCD-2s will be radically different to what the HD-800s vs. them were before. If my feelings about them with the Stacker II are anything to go by, then a good tube amp with them will be the way to go.

Note, however, I have a pre-production pair, so what I say may not apply entirely to the final production version, which I've already been told will have some minor physical changes.

The connector is, as far as I can see, a 2.5mm TS (tip, sleeve) plug. The outer casing of the plugs have a bevel to stop them turning and twisting while plugged in. I reckon the re-cablers are going to have a hellish time with them unless someone gets a custom plug manufactured or gets lucky finding a suitable one.

Nice post Currawong! Though I find the 2.5mm plug the most interesting, the HD5x8 series uses the same termination if I remember correctly. It seems that is what Sennheiser seems to be moving towards.

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #100 of 3,545

Quote:
Just a moment for a little detour, the new Sennheiser Amperior 

I wonder if these will be better or worse then the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii.

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #104 of 3,545

Quote:
Now I'm officially allowed to write about my loaner pair, I'll give some info and quick impressions. First, they are 150 Ohm and seemed to me reasonably easy to drive out of everything from an iPod to my main rig. The loaner pair, which are not final production, are more like what I remember of the HD-800s in overall sound. The frequency response was such that they sound a bit warmer with jazz and classical (there's a drop around 4kHz), but have a treble peak somewhere around the 6-8 kHz mark (as the HD-800s usually do) and, IMO, insufficient bass below 100 Hz to have enough kick for more modern music, which sounds somewhat thin IMO. However, they are very detailed and the imaging with good jazz and classical recordings is absolutely wonderful and the comfort is fantastic. I suspect they are more forward in the mids than the HD-800s were, but I don't have them here to compare. The headphones are so light that I actually complained that the box weighs 4x as much!

Thanks for the early impressions, any thoughts on the soundstage in comparison to the HD-800?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back