Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 10, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #16 of 3,545
Looking forward to the rest of the post.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #18 of 3,545
Jan 10, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 3,545
I want to read more!

Also, these are the sexiest headphones I've ever seen. They did an excellent job of evolving the HD 800 design which I thought was both a hit and miss.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #20 of 3,545

Quote:
[...]

And here's where it gets real interesting for me: The HD 700 also scores a draw with the HD 800 sonically in many ways, hitting a combination of little wins and losses against its more seasoned sibling that nets out to a headphone I consider every bit the HD 800's peer, on balance…

(To be continued later tonight.)

Such a tease. More pics to go along with the impressions please Jude.
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #22 of 3,545
Sounds promising. Though I still really dislike the look of the headband. Just looks too ordinary and low end to me. Reminiscent of clunky DJ headphones or cheaper Sennheiser gear. Still, sonic capability is what actually counts, and based on Jude's short take, it sounds like it should deliver in this respect. Can't wait to read more.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #25 of 3,545
I wonder how the HD700 performs in the mainstream music category. The HD800 are truly superb headphones, especially in regard to its unrivaled soundstage, but it just wasn't right for my favorite pop or rock music that demanded heavy bass and fast PRaT. The T1, for example, fared better in such ways, and in the end I ended up buying the LCD-2. In terms of price I'd say the LCD-2 and HD700 are in the same league, but I always felt the LCD-2 was in the same league, if not better than the HD800 sonic-wise.

HE-6 is the flagship headphone of Hifiman, but it was its junior model HE-500 that has ultimately got more love because of its compatibility with a wider range of genre for a wider group of consumers. Will the same thing happen with HD800 and HD700? I'll stay tuned.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #27 of 3,545

Quote:
Hopefully the sound signature is more HD600/650 like. Judging by the pictures though, I'm guessing sound stage isn't going to be quite on the same level as HD 800.

Based on it's aesthetic design alone, I think it will be a mix of the HD650 and HD800. If we look purely on shape, texture and style, the headband design, the colour, the grain of the paint etc, all reminiscent of the HD600/650, which suggests a perhaps darker or less crystaline sonic presentation. Then the actual shape of the ear cups, wide, angular and futuristic like the HD800's, points towards the same detail emphasised wide soundstage design. Naturally this is all just assumption based, but if their designers actually really read in to these sorts of things, it could be so. Silver, metal, sharp or angular objects to me are symbolic of articulation, detail, finesse etc (HD800). Whereas carbon, matt, smokey (etc) colours and textures could symbolise something darker, more bass emphasised or more laid back.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'm certainly interested to see if the aesthetics have any correlation with the sound signature. Might be completely un-related, but you never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back