Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #376 of 9,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzleraddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sound preference is a highly subjective thing that no charts, graphs, measurements can really quantify.

Problem remain, is how to justify price. If it's a matter of taste only, then I really liked my srh940, and it's less than 300$.
Even the cheap ksc75 15$, is worth a listen.

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #377 of 9,298
Most people will agree that the price of headphones have gone beyond silly. It makes me slightly sick to realise that a pair of HD700 with their plastic frame and small drivers cost as much as a very decent pair of tower speakers such as Tannoy DC6.
Still, I rank the HD700 slightly higher than the T1 and just behind the HE-6...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #378 of 9,298
Quote:
Most people will agree that the price of headphones have gone beyond silly. It makes me slightly sick to realise that a pair of HD700 with their plastic frame and small drivers cost as much as a very decent pair of tower speakers such as Tannoy DC6.
Still, I rank the HD700 slightly higher than the T1 and just behind the HE-6...
rolleyes.gif

Higher than the T1s??  Now I know I got to try these out..

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #379 of 9,298
Quote:
 It makes me slightly sick to realise that a pair of HD700 with their plastic frame and small drivers cost as much as a very decent pair of tower speakers such as Tannoy DC6.

I hate the term "plastic" when it comes to describing headphones like this.

It implies cheap and nasty.

Where the truth is that the "plastic" is a sophisticated aerospace polymer designed to do the job and is far better than metal for the job.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #380 of 9,298
Though I have been lurking for a while since I bought my DT-1350's a year ago, I pulled the trigger on a pair of HD-700's and have had them for a week. Though I didn't pay full retail since Sennheiser was offering them for $749 at iWorld, I can say that I do not agree with the comments referring to them as being cheaply constructed or not reflective of their price. The attention to detail in their construction is excellent and is not simply designed to resemble the HD-800. I will be posting a detailed review in a few weeks once I have sufficient hours under my belt and will include pictures of this detail. At this point they are a keeper for their sound quality, ease of driving, range of dynamics, tonal balance and comfort.
smile.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #381 of 9,298
Quote:
Though I have been lurking for a while since I bought my DT-1350's a year ago, I pulled the trigger on a pair of HD-700's and have had them for a week. Though I didn't pay full retail since Sennheiser was offering them for $749 at iWorld, I can say that I do not agree with the comments referring to them as being cheaply constructed or not reflective of their price. The attention to detail in their construction is excellent and is not simply designed to resemble the HD-800. I will be posting a detailed review in a few weeks once I have sufficient hours under my belt and will include pictures of this detail. At this point they are a keeper for their sound quality, ease of driving, range of dynamics, tonal balance and comfort.
smile.gif

+1 Sometimes feel that people are looking at photographs rather than the actual object when they call the 700 cheap--far from it.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #382 of 9,298
I agree with above as well.  Pictures don't really do them justice.  I thought they looked a bit cheap in pictures too, but in person they look quite sturdy and feel solid and a bit heavy in your hands.  I don't think they'd fare too well if you accidentally sat on them, but who would do that?

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #383 of 9,298
Quote:

I hate the term "plastic" when it comes to describing headphones like this.

It implies cheap and nasty.

Where the truth is that the "plastic" is a sophisticated aerospace polymer designed to do the job and is far better than metal for the job.

and as lightweight they are also more comfortable

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #384 of 9,298
Quote:
+1 Sometimes feel that people are looking at photographs rather than the actual object when they call the 700 cheap--far from it.

yeah in real life it doesnt look cheap at all but I think some parts are rather fragile .. but with proper use there shouldnt be any problem I think

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #385 of 9,298
Which amps do you recommend for the HD700
I'm interested in something from woo audio. Either wa3/wa6/wa2/wa6se. I'm also interested in the schiit gear, mainly the Asgard 2 or lyr. Or even the fiio e07k as that has just gotten a good review on headfonia so could you that as a tempory amp until I can afford a better one. Or maybe the centance dacmini. or alo audio panam. Do any of those go with the hd700. i know its a big mix of prices and technoligies, but there the amps ive looked at getting.
Also want suggestions of other great amps that have good synergy with the hd700.
I listen to nearly every genre except metal

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #386 of 9,298
Quote:
..... but I think some parts are rather fragile ..

What *looks* fragile may not actually *be* fragile.

I have seen people saying that something looks fragine and then seen the designer to tie it in knots and throw it across the room into a concrete wall and it still comes out as good as new.

It all depends on what is in the polymer mix

A modern polymer often has Kevlar or fibreglass in it for strength, rubber for flexibility, UV protection and other stuff.  It's art and science in a modern polymer.

I have seen a microphone cable that is just 1mm in diameter and looks extremely fragile - yet it is almost impossible to break.  In a London show once, said microphone got caught in a costume and was damaged so badly that it tore the outer plastic sleeve from the cable - but the cable did not break and the microphone continued to work.

So - looks are not everything.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #387 of 9,298
I'm pretty happy, no, ecstatic with the Lyr and the HD700. With the right tubes, it smooths out the highs.  I tried the Magni and the overall presentation was too bright but the DragonFly (believe it or not) works quite nicely with them.  If you're looking at solid state, I would look for something on the warmer side of neutral.
Quote:
Which amps do you recommend for the HD700
I'm interested in something from woo audio. Either wa3/wa6/wa2/wa6se. I'm also interested in the schiit gear, mainly the Asgard 2 or lyr. Or even the fiio e07k as that has just gotten a good review on headfonia so could you that as a tempory amp until I can afford a better one. Or maybe the centance dacmini. Do any of those go with the hd700.
Also want suggestions of other great amps that have good synergy with the hd700.
I listen to nearly every genre except metal

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #388 of 9,298
Quote:

What *looks* fragile may not actually *be* fragile.

I have seen people saying that something looks fragine and then seen the designer to tie it in knots and throw it across the room into a concrete wall and it still comes out as good as new.

It all depends on what is in the polymer mix

A modern polymer often has Kevlar or fibreglass in it for strength, rubber for flexibility, UV protection and other stuff.  It's art and science in a modern polymer.

I have seen a microphone cable that is just 1mm in diameter and looks extremely fragile - yet it is almost impossible to break.  In a London show once, said microphone got caught in a costume and was damaged so badly that it tore the outer plastic sleeve from the cable - but the cable did not break and the microphone continued to work.

So - looks are not everything.

the grills are fragile I almost damged them.. but your right the rest doesnt have to be

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #389 of 9,298
I'm pretty happy, no, ecstatic with the Lyr and the HD700. With the right tubes, it smooths out the highs.  I tried the Magni and the overall presentation was too bright but the DragonFly (believe it or not) works quite nicely with them.  If you're looking at solid state, I would look for something on the warmer side of neutral.

You're using the amperex pq's aren't you? I've got a set of those to try once my lyr comes in, they sound great with my current akg 702/aune t1 chain. I can only imagine it'll be better when I get my odac/lyr/hd700 chain. I just picked up matched sets of both Lorenz 3 mica CCA & Telefunken 6922 to try as well.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #390 of 9,298
Quote:
You're using the amperex pq's aren't you? I've got a set of those to try once my lyr comes in, they sound great with my current akg 702/aune t1 chain. I can only imagine it'll be better when I get my odac/lyr/hd700 chain. I just picked up matched sets of both Lorenz 3 mica CCA & Telefunken 6922 to try as well.

I'd love to hear your impressions of the HD700 vs the K702 65th.  I have the K702 65th and selling my recently bought Audio Technica AD2000X as I still prefer the AKG but I may get an HD700 with the money from that if it sells.  But I may try to stretch for the HD800 or maybe the new  Fostex TH600 depending on impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back