Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 29, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #8,986 of 9,298
So finally after listening to them for a while, I'll give some of my thoughts on the HD700 and Fostex TH900 starting of course with the HD700. On well recorded music without EQing the headphones, this has a bit too much treble energy in a specific spot for me, but it does not come off as sibilant. I actually didn't understand the fuss about them being sibilant until I went to YouTube and began leisurely watching videos. These are incredibly picky for sound quality. Poor audio recording ensures that you will hear all of the garbage and I do mean all. They are ruthless and unforgiving with poor audio and quickly became sibilant and exhausting to listen to when the audio quality was poor. The HD700 to my ears only has one problematic area treble wise and once that is resolved with EQ, they sound amazing with well recorded music, especially with vocals and classical. Honestly I'm more surprised by more people immediately giving up on the HD700 for a problematic treble region but hesitating with the HD800 or the HD800S, which I hear are even pickier with sound quality. Nothing wrong with giving headphones a 2nd chance/lack of a 2nd chance, but you would think more people would give this headphone a 2nd chance or immediately give up on the HD800 or HD800S is all.

The Fostex TH900 is a V shaped headphone, so I think the issue with treble response there is that the recessed mids combined with high amounts of energy in the treble will make the treble seem even more extreme than a non V shaped headphone. Personally for me, the only time this headphone became sibilant was with tracks that I knew had sibilance in the first place. A small tweak to EQ was all that was needed to resolve this and now these are my true endgame for EDM and most genres of music. Personally my only gripe with this headphone now is that the mids are just a tad bit too recessed for classical and vocal dominant music, but other than that, I'm extremely happy with these.

Now to talk about the things that I like about the HD700. They're quite different than the Fostex TH900 in terms of sound signature. The mids for the HD700 are wonderful and they really shine in music that requires that. Once the hot spot for the HD700 is diminished, the treble is surprisingly pleasing to listen to. Their soundstage is quite wide, almost bordering on unnatural, but doing it just enough to not ever veer fully into artifical territory. These are by far the most unique pair of headphones that I've ever listened to, for better or worse. Some things that I don't like about them are their lack of subbass extension (of course my Fostex TH900 is used for bass heavy music instead of these), that particular hot spot in the treble, and that they can be a little bit too unforgiving at times, but I know a lot of people will see that last point as a pro, not a con. Honestly I kinda wish an HD700S came out that had slightly more subbass extension, a reduced treble peak at 6k and a slight boost at 1.3-3k because that would seem to be my endgame for classical and vocal music. Before I got the HD700, I was lowkey expecting to hate the HD700 even after EQ, but I'm surprisingly enjoying them. They're like so close to endgame for me, but I don't think that getting the HD800 or HD800S would fix this issue, given that they're even more picky with sound quality and that if the HD700 soundstage borders on being too wide, the HD800/HD800S might actually veer into the artificial territory.

We'll see if I find anything in SoCal CanJam that hits the spot, if not this headphone is here to stay. This headphone having such a massive price tank due to its bad reputation will also make finding a replacement hard as I suspect most headphones that can outclass it are going to be well above the $500 price range.
I have the HD700. You would be surprised at what a difference the kit from modhouse makes. It's about $15. It is fully reversible and requires no tools. It comes in two parts. You can use both or just one. A felt ring that encircles the driver and/or three layer felt earpad. Don't want to spend $15 you can totally make it yourself by printing out a template and cutting out a felt pad for free.
https://www.modhouseaudio.com/hd700-mod/hd700-mod-kit

I toyed with both mod parts. I decided to use just just the felt ring that encircled the driver. Using both the felt ring and the 3 layer driver, you get a lot more powerful base but I felt the tone was not right (felt more v-shaped). Using just the felt ring, helped tone the treble down. Hope that helps!
FWIW, I absolutely expect the HD800S to fix this issue and sound much better. :) They are my next purchase.

May 29, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #8,987 of 9,298
I have the HD700. You would be surprised at what a difference the kit from modhouse makes. It's about $15. It is fully reversible and requires no tools. It comes in two parts. You can use both or just one. A felt ring that encircles the driver and/or three layer felt earpad. Don't want to spend $15 you can totally make it yourself by printing out a template and cutting out a felt pad for free.
https://www.modhouseaudio.com/hd700-mod/hd700-mod-kit

I toyed with both mod parts. I decided to use just just the felt ring that encircled the driver. Using both the felt ring and the 3 layer driver, you get a lot more powerful base but I felt the tone was not right (felt more v-shaped). Using just the felt ring, helped tone the treble down. Hope that helps!
FWIW, I absolutely expect the HD800S to fix this issue and sound much better. :) They are my next purchase.
Not trying to tempt you, but eBay currently has a few Certified Refurbished HD800S (directly from Sennheiser) in the US with a 2 year warranty for $1200. Personally, I'mma wait until I hear some headphones from CanJam and see if the HD8XX are a hit or a miss before deciding to change headphones or not. I might buy that mod later for the HD700.

May 29, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #8,988 of 9,298
So I bought these sheepskin leather ear pads from the UK:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2646937246...var=564996230692&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

and even if these ear pads are less wide than the Dekoni ear pads that they have pictured (which I prefer), the mounting bracket is exactly the size of the stock dust cover, which makes the holders hit the smooth lining of the dust cover, making the dust cover push on the mounting bracket and dislodge the ear pad. Not even the ear covers that were included with the ear pads will fit underneath the ear pads. I love the sound without the dust covers even more, but I wonder if hair can get caught in the driver and cause rattling, even if there is a membrane over the driver coils. Has anyone had problems of rattling or similar sound problems with the HD700?

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #8,989 of 9,298
Jun 10, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #8,990 of 9,298
I've had no rattling issues with my HD700. I can tell that the previous user that I bought this from was a super heavy user that ate food because both food crumbs and hair were near the driver. Of course prior to using I cleaned those bad boys meticulously.

Also, I've fiddled with EQ a bit more and after altering some of the settings that I used for these headphones specifically, it's really shining. I still want to hear the HD800S or preferably the HD8XX to see how much of a step up those are.

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #8,991 of 9,298
I've had no rattling issues with my HD700. I can tell that the previous user that I bought this from was a super heavy user that ate food because both food crumbs and hair were near the driver. Of course prior to using I cleaned those bad boys meticulously.

Also, I've fiddled with EQ a bit more and after altering some of the settings that I used for these headphones specifically, it's really shining. I still want to hear the HD800S or preferably the HD8XX to see how much of a step up those are.
Very minor if you use budget gear, major if you use something more upscale. I've got an Audio-gd Reference 10.32, K701 is in a very different league of fidelity from HD700 out of this amp/DAC unit while hardly any better out of my older, lower-cost gear I still have, and with upscale gear, HD800 is supposed be a marginal improvement over K701, so others who have tried both have told me.

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #8,992 of 9,298

At least you did not find a old McDonald's-dollar-menu-naire item or two near the driver:

https://www.eatthis.com/mcdonalds-burger-fries-over-20-years-old/

Otherwise, it could definitely be why the sound is so muffled. :wink:

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #8,993 of 9,298
Hey guys, just wannna ask, has anybody experienced a cracked headband before? Mine just suddenly developed small cracks around the headband. Not sure how long it will last before it snaps. I see that AudioSanctuary has replacements for it. Just unsure how to disassemble and replace it. Is it via the screws on the side? I was thinking of using the same method to replace the headpand pads...should work from what i see.

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #8,994 of 9,298
Last week while shipping my 700s got damaged badly, the left support link got damaged and one of the drivers stopped working. I did try to find that part but i was not able to do so. Even sennheiser does not have them in stock.. Can anyone help me out please.. thanks
I dont know if you are still looking for parts, but you can get the part of the shell here... though they dont have drivers, at the moment at least
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/sennheiser-hd700-replacement-yoke-right-side.html

Jun 12, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #8,995 of 9,298
Looking for some advice on earpads!
I got my HD700's last year from ebay, and I immediately had to ditch the stock headpad and earpads as they stunk my house out. I'd read a lot of posts online cautioning against using the 700's at all, mainly citing problems they'd had with the treble, so I opted to get some dekoni hybrid pads as a way around that. And while generally I find the headphones to sound good, I do have some issues with the sound that I'd like to iron out.
First off when putting them on, even without anything playing, its like listening to 'the sea' from inside a seashell, which can take anywhere from 6-8 tracks of an album for me to get used to... and that just doesn't seem quite right.
Secondly, even after adjusting to that shell echo thing, there is the inescapable impression of there being too much bass, like there is a solid shelf of bass being elevated artificially high in the mix, which is tiring to listen to and seems to mask and muddy some of the upper bass/lower midrange detail, which I particularly struggle with in rock or metal, though it can add some nice lower end presence in classical.
So far I've never found the treble to be too harsh or sharp, so perhaps I'm not too sensitive in that area, or maybe the pads are helping with that, but I cant confirm that yet. My gut is telling me that the hybrid pads are too deep/thick, and maybe being made of leather is also making things worse.
I'm wondering whether trying some new stock pads is worth a go, and might work better for me. Has anyone else had a similar experience with these?

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #8,996 of 9,298
Hey guys, just wannna ask, has anybody experienced a cracked headband before? Mine just suddenly developed small cracks around the headband. Not sure how long it will last before it snaps. I see that AudioSanctuary has replacements for it. Just unsure how to disassemble and replace it. Is it via the screws on the side? I was thinking of using the same method to replace the headpand pads...should work from what i see.

Watch this tutorial and watch it at least three times over before doing anything at all (it is only 3 minutes long) to be familiar on what type of pressure to use and where, as many parts can break or get lost (like the tiny spring that makes each side click):

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #8,997 of 9,298
Watch this tutorial and watch it at least three times over before doing anything at all (it is only 3 minutes long) to be familiar on what type of pressure to use and where, as many parts can break or get lost (like the tiny spring that makes each side click):

Yes this was the method I was referring to in my last sentence. I've done it before to replace the headband pads. So in the case of replacing the whole headband, the difference is I would just have to remove both sides instead of only 1 with the pad replacement.

Jun 13, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #8,998 of 9,298
Yes this was the method I was referring to in my last sentence. I've done it before to replace the headband pads. So in the case of replacing the whole headband, the difference is I would just have to remove both sides instead of only 1 with the pad replacement.

You still have to be careful not to break any parts, especially the smaller ones, on both sides, not just one side. That is why you really need to watch the video multiple times, as the smaller parts are very likely irreplaceable and not sold individually.

Jun 13, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #8,999 of 9,298

I followed that video and couldn't do it that way, specifically by placing the square black plastic part in first, and then trying to thread the side piece into the headband. It kept hitting the plastic backing of the headpad, when I tried to do it that way. I found that threading the side piece into the headband first allowed me to avoid that issue, and the black square will pop in afterwards just fine

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #9,000 of 9,298
I followed that video and couldn't do it that way, specifically by placing the square black plastic part in first, and then trying to thread the side piece into the headband. It kept hitting the plastic backing of the headpad, when I tried to do it that way. I found that threading the side piece into the headband first allowed me to avoid that issue, and the black square will pop in afterwards just fine
Hahahah yes I did it the same way as you too. Thought it made much more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back