Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #8,941 of 9,298
I haven't heard that but just based on its solid state nature I'd recommend you upgrade the amp to project sunrise III/project horizon III, MCTH, etc. The HD700 has a mid dip and a high 6khz treble peak, if you amp doesnt "artfully" handle high frequencies (most SS amps dont) that 6khz can drill into your ears when you bring the mids up to volume. Can also EQ but that tends to ruin the soundstage.
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice. Also, not sure if this is the place but if anyone has a set of hd700s they are willing to part with for a reasonable price, let me know

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #8,942 of 9,298
I haven't heard that but just based on its solid state nature I'd recommend you upgrade the amp to project sunrise III/project horizon III, MCTH, etc. The HD700 has a mid dip and a high 6khz treble peak, if you amp doesnt "artfully" handle high frequencies (most SS amps dont) that 6khz can drill into your ears when you bring the mids up to volume. Can also EQ but that tends to ruin the soundstage.

The MCTH sounds like a SS and not a very good one. I’d prefer Garage if treble is an issue.

I prefer 650/800 out of Ember compared to SS. 700 I actually preferred from a SS amp compared to Ember.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #8,943 of 9,298
The MCTH sounds like a SS and not a very good one. I’d prefer Garage if treble is an issue.

I prefer 650/800 out of Ember compared to SS. 700 I actually preferred from a SS amp compared to Ember.
was just trying to give some option other than garage so it didnt seem like i was promoting them :)

MCTH can get nice treble with rca 6c8g tube + 6922 adapter. this combo is within the amp spec.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #8,944 of 9,298
was just trying to give some option other than garage so it didnt seem like i was promoting them :)

MCTH can get nice treble with rca 6c8g tube + 6922 adapter. this combo is within the amp spec.

OK

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #8,945 of 9,298
Do you feel like tge hd700 was a large improvement or minor coming from athad900x?
both has accurate imaging for gaming, but the HD700 is wider much wider and i don't know if that is a good or bad thing for you, because i know some ppl like headphones that make the sound closer, they are defiantly better than ad900 and you will notice that when you liisten to HD700 then go back to listen to the ad900

i think its defiantly worth the price i paid for used around 280$ and its slighty more comfortable , but i highly recommend EQing this to natural because i think they sound much better with an EQ ( so the answer HD700 with EQ is a huge improvement over the ad900 )

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #8,947 of 9,298
both has accurate imaging for gaming, but the HD700 is wider much wider and i don't know if that is a good or bad thing for you, because i know some ppl like headphones that make the sound closer, they are defiantly better than ad900 and you will notice that when you liisten to HD700 then go back to listen to the ad900

i think its defiantly worth the price i paid for used around 280$ and its slighty more comfortable , but i highly recommend EQing this to natural because i think they sound much better with an EQ ( so the answer HD700 with EQ is a huge improvement over the ad900 )
Funny you post this. I now have both headphones in my possession and share the exact same sentiments. Can't imagine their is much better for imaging/soundstage for the used price.

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #8,948 of 9,298
Do they still make new hd700 or are they discontinued ? Edit - doh, got my answer on last page. That sucks, makes me rethink now, even though a working pair should last a long time....

I've had a growing interest in these ever since I got my hd800s, I really enjoy a larger sound stage.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #8,949 of 9,298
Wanted to know what the fuss is about HD700, this is one special sounding headphone. Like HD800 had affair with HD650 and they gave spawn to something, never heard headphone that can be both bright and warm in same song(ok maybe X2 occasionally). Pair was cheap ~250€ and very technical and great looking for the price.

Something in tuning brings hardness to music, varies from song other. Tube magic smoothens it a bit but its still there.

Direct A/B vs HD650 is quite one way song for HD700 supremacy. Separation, clarity, soundstage, bass, engagement factor is upper level, hardness/glare just caughts me sometimes and smoothness of HD650 is not found.

Is it crap as many stories tell? Not at all i would say specially for the price.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #8,950 of 9,298
This just popped up in my email. Hasn't been any activity for several months but it's good to hear from an HD 700 fan. The only other headphone I can really compare it to is the HD 598 and the 700 is similar but better in every way. I'm not sure if the complaints about ice picks in the ears were from earlier versions or just people more sensitive than I am to higher frequencies. I was in my early 60s when I got him and never had any problems, but that's probably to be expected.

Glad you are enjoying them.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #8,951 of 9,298
Wanted to know what the fuss is about HD700, this is one special sounding headphone. Like HD800 had affair with HD650 and they gave spawn to something, never heard headphone that can be both bright and warm in same song(ok maybe X2 occasionally). Pair was cheap ~250€ and very technical and great looking for the price.

Something in tuning brings hardness to music, varies from song other. Tube magic smoothens it a bit but its still there.

Direct A/B vs HD650 is quite one way song for HD700 supremacy. Separation, clarity, soundstage, bass, engagement factor is upper level, hardness/glare just caughts me sometimes and smoothness of HD650 is not found.

Is it crap as many stories tell? Not at all i would say specially for the price.
Yeah I thought the same about the 650 and sold them. I have the 800 SDR mod and it's not hugely better than the 700, and the 700 is far more comfortable.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #8,952 of 9,298

Try modhouse hd700 mod kit for the hardness.It's reversible and requires no tools. There are two mods in there and each one affects the sound in diffferent ways.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #8,953 of 9,298

Glad you are enjoying them. I find that the HD700+Vali2+ModiMB has great synergy. I also find the 700 more comfortable than my 800S.

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #8,954 of 9,298
I Love the HD 700, and it is a bargain at the current price. I believe the 700 will be one of the iconic HP which will be value years to come. I did purchase a cable from Moon and it truly made a difference. My only complaint is shortly after purchasing the black coating on the internal section of the headband started to peel off which made a huge goo mess. In the end, I removed the coating completely and it is fine. I can only suspect this coating's purpose was to protect the headband felt for longevity. Eventually, may need to purchase a new headband, which I am open for suggestions.

Jan 10, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #8,955 of 9,298

Users who are viewing this thread

Back