Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #8,911 of 9,298
My hd700s are modified with herbies grungebuster discs (ala anax mod), and Dekoni elite velour pads, and I just love them plugged into a Burson soloist amp. I also own and enjoy hd600 and I have tried for almost a year to fall in love with a pair of focal elear, but I just keep coming back to the hd700. There is something about their sound I find irresistible, and comfort is second to none.

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #8,912 of 9,298
I recently bought a Burson Conductor 3R, and am now regretting selling my HD700...

Aug 10, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #8,913 of 9,298
Side-topic: in a stable with HD800's as daily drivers, and Beyer T1.1, would the HD700 compliment, or displace the T1.1?

I was originally thinking of acquiring the HD700's instead of the T1, but a good deal came up and I liked the different flavour they offered.

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #8,914 of 9,298
Side-topic: in a stable with HD800's as daily drivers, and Beyer T1.1, would the HD700 compliment, or displace the T1.1?

I was originally thinking of acquiring the HD700's instead of the T1, but a good deal came up and I liked the different flavour they offered.

Never owned the T1 but with a good amp pairing I think you should give the HD700 a shot. I've kept it longer than any other $200+ headphone I've owned. It is just a really good balance of big soundstage, detailed highs, reasonable size, comfortable fit. It's not the best sounding headphone in the world, and it requires some careful pairing (IIRC you have Liquid Platinum which is a perfect pairing), but IMO it is probably the best all-around headphone I've owned with all categories considered [sound quality, comfort, durability, etc].

I actually just got a Grado Hemp and while I liked it , it will be another headphone that is going up on the auction block due to HD700.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #8,915 of 9,298
I've had the HD700 for several years and always liked it, though I don't really use for music anymore; I've since upgraded to a couple of clearly better (IMO) headphones. But I still use it daily for a lot of TV and movies (I'm retired and I watch a lot)--the wide soundstage works well here and it's still the most comfortable headphone I have for hours of viewing. (Though a little bit less so since I replaced torn pads with Dekoni velour--the ear openings feel smaller than stock and less comfortable.) In any case, it's nice to see the HD700 get some love here since some unsuspecting soul earlier this week made the mistake of posting a positive comment about the HD700 on another site that may not be named here (but has the most unfriendly non-political forum I've ever seen). The usual suspects gathered for a digital tar and feathering; I didn't read it all, but it was ugly and the group think was depressing.

Aug 29, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #8,916 of 9,298
I've had the HD700 for several years and always liked it, though I don't really use for music anymore; I've since upgraded to a couple of clearly better (IMO) headphones. But I still use it daily for a lot of TV and movies (I'm retired and I watch a lot)--the wide soundstage works well here and it's still the most comfortable headphone I have for hours of viewing. (Though a little bit less so since I replaced torn pads with Dekoni velour--the ear openings feel smaller than stock and less comfortable.) In any case, it's nice to see the HD700 get some love here since some unsuspecting soul earlier this week made the mistake of posting a positive comment about the HD700 on another site that may not be named here (but has the most unfriendly non-political forum I've ever seen). The usual suspects gathered for a digital tar and feathering; I didn't read it all, but it was ugly and the group think was depressing.

Ah, the "go HD650 or go home" site. I don't like it either, much more happy in here :)

Aug 29, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #8,917 of 9,298
Ah, the "go HD650 or go home" site. I don't like it either, much more happy in here :)
The hd650 does sound "sweet" in the mids but it's soundstage is collapsed and artificial compared to hd700/hd800s/hd820 and natural everyday life sound perception. Maybe a good choice if you specifically like headphone sound, but if you want something that presents more like naturally occurring sound hd700 better choice with right amp

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #8,918 of 9,298
The hd650 does sound "sweet" in the mids but it's soundstage is collapsed and artificial compared to hd700/hd800s/hd820 and natural everyday life sound perception. Maybe a good choice if you specifically like headphone sound, but if you want something that presents more like naturally occurring sound hd700 better choice with right amp

Yeah, I do also prefer the HD700, HD800S and even the HD58X over the HD650. That pretty much disqualify me from the other site which is not interested in different opinions in my experience. That's what I like about Head-fi, people with all sorts of opinions and preferences are allowed to share their thoughts without senior members having a go at them. To me that's a lot more interesting.

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #8,920 of 9,298
Funny reading this about the HD700. I know this headphone got no love when it was being produced, but every time I've sold one, I always end up buying another! It does have an unmatched combination of comfort, sound quality, and durability.
Yep!

Would love to see Sennhesier release an HD700S with treble tune similar to HD800S

Aug 30, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #8,922 of 9,298
Great Idea! I would also like to see them do a collaboration with massdrop maybe in a dark grey colorway, and priced around $400. I'd buy two! THat way, when i inevitably sell one, I wouldn't have to buy it back...I'd already have it! :smile::smile::smile:

Funny! It’s the only headphone I’ve ever sold and then bought again.

Aug 30, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #8,923 of 9,298
Great Idea! I would also like to see them do a collaboration with massdrop maybe in a dark grey colorway, and priced around $400. I'd buy two! THat way, when i inevitably sell one, I wouldn't have to buy it back...I'd already have it! :smile::smile::smile:

Funny! It’s the only headphone I’ve ever sold and then bought again.

With Mr. Grell departed, it's possible a HD700S might be a pipe dream. The original is fantastic, but there is that little bit of grain they could likely work out like they did on the HD800S. There are ways to do this with foam DIY but would love to see Sennheiser use their engineering resources to come up with something as targeted as the HD800S resonator improvement.

It's funny, I heard a lot of headphones but basically have tuned my entire system around HD7xx/HD8xx because overall I can't find a headphone I like as much as these. The soundstage is just killer. HD700, HD800S, and HD820 are all nice to have on hand for various circumstances. Like right now I am using HD820 because my family is being loud and an open backed headphone would have a ton of noise pollution. But maybe later I will put on HD700. I probably will pick up HD800S in a little bit to have that variation as well; I used to have HD800 but sold it, it has grain far worse than HD700 which they fixed on the HD800S (and 820).

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #8,924 of 9,298
If Sennheiser released a HD700S with treble tuned more like the HD800S, would you pay $999 new msrp for them? Keep in mind the HD800S is now $1699 and the original HD700 msrp for Sennheiser to make money was $999.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back