Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #8,656 of 9,298
Oh nononon, those are my old pads, I got some cheap chinese pads for replacements on now.

the bass is definitely boomy though I didn't realize it until I started using dekoni pads because the boomy-ness got worse. My GMP 8.35 is better for classical for this reason, whenever a piano starts playing low notes some get very loud though it should have the opposite effect in real life, the lower it is the harder it should be harder to hear. It decays quickly but it's not realistic at all.

Why should low notes on piano be harder to hear? It depends on musician and his emotional state of mind. If he hits low notes with fervor, there is no reason why they would be harder to hear.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #8,657 of 9,298
Why should low notes on piano be harder to hear? It depends on musician and his emotional state of mind. If he hits low notes with fervor, there is no reason why they would be harder to hear.

Lower notes you'll hear more vibration from the string as opposed to pitch because the strings are so massive, but to be clear, in comparison to similarly played higher notes, lower pitches on piano ring less. I feel that hd700 is not pragmatic when it comes to bass response and it causes piano's power register to sound unrealistic and larger than real life.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #8,658 of 9,298
Lower notes you'll hear more vibration from the string as opposed to pitch because the strings are so massive, but to be clear, in comparison to similarly played higher notes, lower pitches on piano ring less. I feel that hd700 is not pragmatic when it comes to bass response and it causes piano's power register to sound unrealistic and larger than real life.

I have not heard the song you are mentioning. But hd700 is particularly adept at resolving subtle dynamic shifts in music. If a drummer takes his time in hitting next note, it comes across quiet clearly.

I suggest you evaluate it further. Hd600 cannot touch it in this aspect. Hd600 has other strengths and one is not nenecessarily better than other.

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #8,659 of 9,298
I have not heard the song you are mentioning. But hd700 is particularly adept at resolving subtle dynamic shifts in music. If a drummer takes his time in hitting next note, it comes across quiet clearly.

I suggest you evaluate it further. Hd600 cannot touch it in this aspect. Hd600 has other strengths and one is not nenecessarily better than other.

I think my language was quite unclear in my first post, harder to hear isn't a good way of explaining. Ill have to listen some more and try to describe better. Drums are one of the biggest strengths of the hd700 hands down, hearing keith moon with The Who 'Live at the Leeds' makes me happy I bought these headphones :)

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #8,660 of 9,298
Oh nononon, those are my old pads, I got some cheap chinese pads for replacements on now.

the bass is definitely boomy though I didn't realize it until I started using dekoni pads because the boomy-ness got worse. My GMP 8.35 is better for classical for this reason, whenever a piano starts playing low notes some get very loud though it should have the opposite effect in real life, the lower it is the harder it should be harder to hear. It decays quickly but it's not realistic at all.
I think it might be the ear pads that is causing the boomy sound since I remember my old GF trying a few different ones and even if they look quite similar to OEM pads the sound was altered, sometimes very little and sometimes quite a lot.

Also, I've tried Dekoni sheepskin pads for my HE400i, HE560 and TH-600 and they did alter the sound but on HE400i it was in a good way since it made the bass have a bit more weight to it without becoming muddy but on the HE560 and TH-600 they didn't do as well since the bass was over done and did get muddy and more one-note sounding to me, but they are quite comfortable. My favorite headphones for listening to solo piano is either RS2e or Ypsilon R1, makes me feel like I'm right there with the player but for large orchestra the HD700, HD800 and T1gen1 do a lot better due to the better sound stage of these.

With the HD600 (all of the HD6 series) the ear pads will make a difference and its why I'd stick to OEM pads as its been measured to show that even older pads will have an effect on the sound and its usually not in a good way.

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #8,664 of 9,298
With the HD600 (all of the HD6 series) the ear pads will make a difference and its why I'd stick to OEM pads as its been measured to show that even older pads will have an effect on the sound and its usually not in a good way.

I own hd580 which is basically a hd600 and the pads are almost as worn as the pads from BrokeSkoolBoi, but I'm not going to change them.
They sound great, much better than any new ones. Some friends told me the same.
Why do you think the sound get worse?

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #8,665 of 9,298
Worn pads on the HD6 series tend to make them a bit harsh in the treble to me due to the driver being a bit closer to my ears but to some the added treble might be nice on the HD650/6XX. Also, the soundstage seems to get a slightly more closed in and with one set of really worn/dirty set of pads on a HD600 the bass was a bit one-note / muddy for some reason.

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #8,666 of 9,298
I don't own the HD700s and have never heard them but people shouldn't buy them because I've heard some people say they're not good. You're welcome.
Its those like you that should be banned from using a computer, for life, or even "disappeared" like what seems to happen to some in counties who post something like this. I assume this post is a joke but even if its "sarcasm" like @rlisin noted its still in poor judgement IMO.

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #8,668 of 9,298
Its those like you that should be banned from using a computer, for life, or even "disappeared" like what seems to happen to some in counties who post something like this. I assume this post is a joke but even if its "sarcasm" like @rlisin noted its still in poor judgement IMO.
Wow. Didn't realize injecting a little humor was considered poor judgement. Will not happen again sir.

BTW suggesting I should "disappear" cetainly shows sound and mature judgement.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #8,669 of 9,298
Wow. Didn't realize injecting a little humor was considered poor judgement. Will not happen again sir.

BTW suggesting I should "disappear" cetainly shows sound and mature judgement.
I was in a bad state of mind when I first read and replied and it was a bit harsh, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back