Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #8,599 of 9,298
Currently waiting for Modhouse foam, and Dekoni Velourpads which still haven't shipped after 4 days? Maybe the tracking is messed up somehow since I asked to change my address after it was made.

I almost impulse bought the vali 2 tonight but I figure I might as well just wait for Bottlehead Crack sale. These headphones brought me so much enjoyment from listening to music tonight. I was listening to Digable planets 'Blowout Comb' and the bass and mid synergy was perfect. The 6xx once brought that amazing experience as well but they weren't that great for most of my preferred genres and could be boring.. But I just can't wear the HD700 for more than 30 minutes! IT HURTS.

I'm actually kind of unsure what to do, I will try the "hd750" pad mod if Modhouse and Dekoni are unhelpful, but I want a tube amp regardless. I only considered the Vali 2 because I don't want a big heavy amp on my desk and I love the form factor of my schiit stack. For now I'll wait.

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #8,601 of 9,298
@BrokeSkoolBoi, is it uncomfortable due to the worn out pads? I find the HD700 one of the more comfortable of the headphones that I have and used to listen to them for 4-6 hours at a time without issues.

I'm sorry if I was unclear with my post. I. Believe the problem to be the treble which could be accented by these old ass pads. It's very strange, it does not bother me at first, actually I don't even notice it, but suddenly my head starts to hurt a bit, more than my enjoyment of the music can overwhelm. And the pain does not go away.

I should try some of these cheap aftermarket pads just to rule out these pads being a problem though.

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #8,602 of 9,298
So I was greeted by my Dekoni package just now. They never gave me the new shipping label but they created a new one on my request without even asking for me to pay the label fee which is great.. But they sent me the wrong pads. I paid for the Velour which are the cheapest, but they sent me Elite Sheepskin for some odd reason. So, I am about to try them out and see if they are usable before I complain I got the wrong pads!

EDIT: eq was on.. need to try it again

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #8,604 of 9,298
You got those pads from the massdrop drop? I ordered the elite valour as well and haven’t even got a tracking number yet

I actually missed the drop and bought them off their site. Gave me a tracking number the next day, they probably sent the wrong pads because of the massdrop mayhem.

Edit: eq was on, will report back once i tried it.. for real.

It still cuts most of the sibilance for me despite that fact it was heavily eq'd before.. I was wondering why it didn't sound as fast as it did why I first heard it. No longer getting 650 vibes :), but the sound is.. sweeter?

Ugh, the bass gets boomy with these pads, Piano is so muddy. They were doing so well

Edit2: I'm selling the pads on ebay now for $75, let me know if you're interested.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #8,605 of 9,298
Hi,
I have to opportunity to buy a HD 700 second hand.
Been reading complaints about the treble peak, on the opposite side people who don't find it problem. I can not listen to them because of the distance (approx 300 miles).

I do own the Shure SRH 1840 (bright sounding), the Beyerdaynamic Amiron Home (typical Beyer treble peak).
How would the Senn HD 700 compare to those above mentioned headphones?

Thx.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #8,606 of 9,298
Judging by graphs, similar peak as Amiron, but a bit more pronounced and starts a bit earlier: HD700 peaks at 5kHz, Amiron closer to 10kHz.
Shure SRH 1840 actually looks quite flat compared to the other two.

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #8,607 of 9,298
How painful (or not) the HD700s are can depend a lot on what music you listen to. For example, I tend to listen to a lot of Mylène Farmer and unfortunately I can't listen too long before my ears begin to hurt. It helps when I eq them, but music with a lot of highs will be troublesome. On the other hand, music like Berlin-school electronic is amazing with them. When all is said and done, I don't regret getting them.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #8,608 of 9,298
Hi,
I have to opportunity to buy a HD 700 second hand.
Been reading complaints about the treble peak, on the opposite side people who don't find it problem. I can not listen to them because of the distance (approx 300 miles).

I do own the Shure SRH 1840 (bright sounding), the Beyerdaynamic Amiron Home (typical Beyer treble peak).
How would the Senn HD 700 compare to those above mentioned headphones?

Thx.
I have both HD700 and SRH-1840 and don't consider either bright but they have the "brightness" at different frequencies so it will depend on what you are sensitive to. I do use tube amps (Ember, Lyr2 and BH Crack) for these two headphones so that is something to also consider.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #8,609 of 9,298
I have both HD700 and SRH-1840 and don't consider either bright but they have the "brightness" at different frequencies so it will depend on what you are sensitive to. I do use tube amps (Ember, Lyr2 and BH Crack) for these two headphones so that is something to also consider.

I'm not a big fan of tube (headphone) amps, the sound is not appealing to me.
I noticed you also have the Teac HA-501, is the HD 700 treble peak less noticeable on that particular amp.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #8,610 of 9,298
I don't have a HA-501 but a good friend does and I've borrowed it a few times. It does act like a tube amp with certain headphones since the "damping" factor switch of the HA501 is just changing the output impedance to better match the headphones connected from what I can figure out. I'm just the opposite of you that I prefer tube amps since they are smoother, more dynamic and can be fine tuned with the proper selection of tubes. As for the HA501 and HD700 it depends on what damping setting you use and it will have a slight effect on the treble peak of the HD700 as I'm sure you have noticed with the other headphones that you have. I do like Violectric amps and really liked the V280 and G109 that I borrowed from a friend a while back but I've never tried the ones that you have so I'm not sure how they would sound with the HD700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back