Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #8,536 of 9,298
SMPhoo: I would recommend trying out the free trial version of True-Fi from the Sonarworks website. They do a good job explaining how their software takes down peaks (whether in the treble, mid or bass region), and then also brings up those parts of the frequency response spectrum that a headphone doesn't play loudly enough. With their software, you can click a button to hear your headphones with and without their intervention. That might help you understand what is meant by the treble spike, once you hear the sound with it removed. There's also a big dip around 2 kHz in the HD700 that it corrects for, and the very low end is also understated. Correcting for all of these makes the HD700 sound a ton better, in my opinion.

Thank you, I'll take a look and see how it goes

Jul 8, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #8,537 of 9,298
Hey guys.
New to this forum and new to the world of audiophile headphones.

I picked up a pair of these used, but in mint condition for £230, comparing to ebay, I feel I've got a good deal.

I want to ask the people on here who are clearly more clued up that I am a few questions.
I hear a very love/hate opinion on these headphones. There is a common complaint about a frequency spike in the treble.
What does this mean and what am I expected to come across?

Also, I was recommended to get an amp/dac for these to really bring out the potential, so I've bought an Oppo HA2-SE, so hopefully this bit of kit should run the headphones fine?
I'm neither impressed or dissapointed with the headphones right now because in all honesty, I don't know what to expect from them.

I've tried my best to compare them to my iPhone earphones, but really can't tell a difference, but I am assuming / hoping this is where the Amp takes over.

These headphones weren't my first choice, but I felt the price was good and as I've never owened a high end pair of headphones, I've got nothing to compare them to anyway, so I doubt I'd pick up on flaws that others would while comparing to other headphones.

Also, this may sound like a really stupid question, but is there anyway to tell if you're listening to music to loud, as in ear damaging loud.
I don't know if this is to do with the headphones, but sometimes, while using these, I've felt a slight tickle/itch within my ear, just wandering if this is to do with the loudness.

Thanks
Since the HD700 is your first decent headphones and I like your honesty about not being able to make comparisons with the exception of your iPhone earphones I'd suggest trying to get to a store where you can listen to other headphones and you might want to take your HD700 with you to do some comparisons.

As for the treble peak at 6khz it bothers some and for others its not an issue but some find that a tube amp helps minimize this peak but for me its not an issue.

I haven't tried the HA2-SE so I'm not going to comment on it being able to drive the HD700 but FWIW my old GF use to use her HD700 and Fiio X3 DAP almost daily when she was walking our dog and I have to agree with her that the old X3 was a decent DAP for use with the HD700 and far better than the earphones that come with any phone that I've tried including the AKG ones that came with my S8.

I'm going to assume that you have a smart phone so I'd suggest getting a dB meter app so you can get some rough measurements on how loud you are listening and the slight tickle/itch could be from listening at high levels. Most will say that listening over 85dB for prolonged periods is causing hearing damage so I'd recommend getting the dB app and getting some measurements to see what levels you are listening at since I'd really hate to have you ruin your hearing.

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #8,538 of 9,298
I've tried my best to compare them to my iPhone earphones, but really can't tell a difference, but I am assuming / hoping this is where the Amp takes over.
I'm neither impressed or dissapointed with the headphones right now because in all honesty, I don't know what to expect from them.
I have experienced the same many years ago when I tried to upgrade from $50 Koss KCS-35 to $200 Sennheiser HD-590. I didn’t hear much difference, at least not worth the price difference. Now, many years later I definitely hear the improvements.
I think your ears are not trained yet, and you can't really hear the difference. The more you listen to different headphones, the more you learn the differences between them.
£230 is a good price for HD700. The problem with Head-Fi is that you get lots of advice from people who DO hear the difference, but it might not be applicable to you because you need more experimenting with what sounds better to you right NOW. Sound is VERY subjective. What sounds good to one, might not sound good to the other.
Try choosing a girl from 20 girls who are all pretty... Your personal choice might be different than anyone else’s.
My point is: experiment! Try headphones with V signature, bass heavy, bass light, fluid midrange, etc, etc.
HD700 is very refined headphone and worth it's street price, but you might like another signature type MORE... In which case you can always sell it and get another one.

iPhone earphones VS HD700?
It's like Honda Civic VS BMW i8.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #8,539 of 9,298
I have experienced the same many years ago when I tried to upgrade from $50 Koss KCS-35 to $200 Sennheiser HD-590. I didn’t hear much difference, at least not worth the price difference. Now, many years later I definitely hear the improvements.
I think your ears are not trained yet, and you can't really hear the difference. The more you listen to different headphones, the more you learn the differences between them.
£230 is a good price for HD700. The problem with Head-Fi is that you get lots of advice from people who DO hear the difference, but it might not be applicable to you because you need more experimenting with what sounds better to you right NOW. Sound is VERY subjective. What sounds good to one, might not sound good to the other.
Try choosing a girl from 20 girls who are all pretty... Your personal choice might be different than anyone else’s.
My point is: experiment! Try headphones with V signature, bass heavy, bass light, fluid midrange, etc, etc.
HD700 is very refined headphone and worth it's street price, but you might like another signature type MORE... In which case you can always sell it and get another one.

iPhone earphones VS HD700?
It's like Honda Civic VS BMW i8.
Very wise words. The girl analogy is absolutely accurate! And do experiment, I remember that when I began in the hobby with the Hifiman RE400 it took me a while to began appreciating the difference against the apple earpods, but that is due to the lack of exposure to audio gear

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #8,540 of 9,298
hello

i just got the HD 700 few days ago

the headphone is good, but since i got it, i notice the ear cup or ear pad or whatever they call it, on the left is really tight and uncomfortable but its fine on the right

i tried swapping the earpads, but the didn't help , is that common?

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #8,541 of 9,298
hello

the headphone is good, but since i got it, i notice the ear cup or ear pad or whatever they call it, on the left is really tight and uncomfortable but its fine on the right

I've used a few HD700 and have not observed this issue. The HD700 are very comfortable headphones and both sides should feel the same (assuming a highly symmetrical face)

Jul 15, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #8,542 of 9,298
I've used a few HD700 and have not observed this issue. The HD700 are very comfortable headphones and both sides should feel the same (assuming a highly symmetrical face)
ohh thank you for sharing your experience

im noob with sound and things

i have one more question, i been using this with the soundblasterx ae-5 with this sound card i can change the sound the headphones delivers up to 32-bit 384kHz, shall i do that? or set it up as default? i really don't know the difference between 34bit and 24bit

also if anyone own this soundcard and want to recommend me to change anything in the software to make the headphone sound even better, i would be happy to do

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #8,543 of 9,298
hello

Did you make sure that both sides are pulled out the same amount? If they aren't, you can get uneven pressure on your ears.

Like someone else said, these are some very comfortable headphones. I have a big head, so it can be a pain for me to find headphones that don't have too much clamping pressure.

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #8,544 of 9,298
Did you make sure that both sides are pulled out the same amount? If they aren't, you can get uneven pressure on your ears.

Like someone else said, these are some very comfortable headphones. I have a big head, so it can be a pain for me to find headphones that don't have too much clamping pressure.

yes i have, i actually let everyone test it in my house, and they all said it there is some pressure on the left

its really uncomfortable and annoying

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #8,545 of 9,298
yes i have, i actually let everyone test it in my house, and they all said it there is some pressure on the left

its really uncomfortable and annoying
Like the others noted the HD700 is one of the most comfortable headphones that I have so I'm thinking there is something wrong with your pair to have a higher clamping force only on one side. Do the pads feel the same? I'd suggest posting a picture so we can see if there is anything that looks out of place but I think you will need to have 20 or more post before you can post a picture.

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #8,546 of 9,298
ohh thank you for sharing your experience

im noob with sound and things

i have one more question, i been using this with the soundblasterx ae-5 with this sound card i can change the sound the headphones delivers up to 32-bit 384kHz, shall i do that? or set it up as default? i really don't know the difference between 34bit and 24bit

also if anyone own this soundcard and want to recommend me to change anything in the software to make the headphone sound even better, i would be happy to do
If you only listen to CD quality stuff then there's no real reason to go above 16-bit 44,1 kHz (so no resampling; bit conversions to higher precision are lossless operations, sample rate conversations are not). DVDs and games tend to be 48 kHz. Personally I'll just use 24-bit and 96 kHz.

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #8,547 of 9,298
Hi, there are dust type black things coming off from my hd 700's ear pads. When I wear the headphone, back of my ear and neck is covering with those dust which is supper annoying. What are these? Can I wash the ear pads?

IMG_20180807_185302.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #8,548 of 9,298
Hi, there are dust type black things coming off from my hd 700's ear pads. When I wear the headphone, back of my ear and neck is covering with those dust which is supper annoying. What are these? Can I wash the ear pads?

It's the fabric falling apart. No, you can't wash them. Time to buy new pads.

Aug 8, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #8,549 of 9,298
This is paint of the material Sennheiser uses on their earpads. Your earpads are old!
It sounds like you bought your HD700 second-hand, and the previous user(s) used it quite a lot.
Fortunately, the earpads are very easy to replace, you just have to buy new ones that cost around $60 US MSRP.
The new headband on the other hand only costs around $20, but there are no instructions how to replace it. I checked YouTube, pdf docs online. (If anyone knows how to replace it, let me know)

P.S: If you feel brave, you can order cheaper pads on www.aliexpress.com or eBay, they have different price points from under $10 to $40. Just be sure to read the reviews/feedback to know how those pads differ from originals.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #8,550 of 9,298
@sha007 Yes, you can wash the ear pads.. I've done so with my HD700 and just last night with my Senn HD800. Same type of black dust will discharge a bit, but the pads are back to being plush, clean and haven't deteriorated.

Just sent the same information to some friends:

"Soak the pads and headband in a bit of warm water mixed with 4-5 drops of Blue Dawn soap. Let soak for 1-2 hours. Lightly squeeze with paper towels and set to dry in a warm area (not in direct sun light)."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back