Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 4, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #8,476 of 9,291
I found some Beyerdynamic Custom i Pro headphones I got a few years ago. They sound pretty awesome through Mojo. Much better than the HD700. So I'm definitely sending the HD700's back.

Any other headphones I should try out in that price range, with better synergy with Mojo? (Sorry: Maybe I should ask that question in another thread.)

Focal Clear, HD660S.

The issue you have with the 700 more likely has to do with its frequency curve. It has a pretty significant dip, one that instead of you perceiving as 'openess' more will sound like lacking clarity.

The effects of amping headphones is vastly overrated in my opinion, and a higher impedance amp such as the Sennheiser isn't really going to do your HD700 any favours. Even the HD800 should sound good out of a modern iMac headphone out. I know shocking! But I'm doing that right now and it sounds great - if not excellent. Some headphones really need some serious power to drive them (Hifiman HE6, electrostats) but the 700 certainly is not one of them. I'm sure others might disagree, but I would pose that any additional bloom / warmth tube amps might add to the 700 is just a deviation from their natural sound.

The other alternative is to just enjoy your Custom One Pro and 598! Save yourself some money as those good sets. I would check out an HD800 or HD800S sometime down the road. See if it is worth it.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #8,479 of 9,291
I told my wife about my dilemma. She let me go ahead and order the HD800! Can’t wait to check them out.

haha that's quite the dilemna! Congratulations. Would be great hearing your impressions on the new HD800 impressions thread.

Well, when you get them, it may take a bit to 'get' their signature. I feel the HD800 will be easier to wrap your heard around than the 700.

May 6, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #8,480 of 9,291
The HD800 headphones arrived, and they blow away the HD700's I sent back. I'll probably never know if I had a bad pair (maybe damaged by the first user, since they were clearly returned.) But oh my goodness, these HD800 headphones are easily better than anything else I've ever heard. The bass is slightly lacking, but it's very polished. I wish now that I had purchased the HDVA600 amplifier when it was on sale the other day for $439. Reviewers indicated that amp really fills out the sound on HD800.

Interestingly, the HD800 now come with a manual for both HD800 and HD800S, and they talk about the HD800S being their better model. Ugh. Trying hard to get me to spend another $500, aren't they?

May 6, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #8,481 of 9,291
The HD800 headphones arrived, and they blow away the HD700's I sent back. I'll probably never know if I had a bad pair (maybe damaged by the first user, since they were clearly returned.) But oh my goodness, these HD800 headphones are easily better than anything else I've ever heard. The bass is slightly lacking, but it's very polished. I wish now that I had purchased the HDVA600 amplifier when it was on sale the other day for $439. Reviewers indicated that amp really fills out the sound on HD800.

Interestingly, the HD800 now come with a manual for both HD800 and HD800S, and they talk about the HD800S being their better model. Ugh. Trying hard to get me to spend another $500, aren't they?
HD800 and HD700 are quite different sounding headphones and I'd suggest a OTL or hybrid amp for them since most SS amps are a bit too lean sounding IMO for my taste

May 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #8,482 of 9,291
I own a pair of mr.speakers aeon flows and I quickly tried putting one of the filters that came with the headphone into the hd 700's.
It didn't fit particularly well, but it did reduce some of the treble peak of it.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this. Maybe make a full size filter out of the same material that fits in better.

May 18, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #8,483 of 9,291
I have recently rotated back to my HD 600s for a while. The 600s seem richer and are more comfortable for long wearing than the 700s, although the 700s are noticeably more detailed. The 600s are easier listening. Perhaps I’m missing something about the 700s.

May 18, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #8,484 of 9,291

Go for hd800s model only if you find regular model to be too bright. Straight out of mojo, regular model is not pushed to its 100% and does not showcase very bright character.

As for hd700 vs hd800, on casual AB comparison with my HD700, i cannot differentiate the two, except for soundstage cause of same house sound. Its only when I do critical listening I can make out any difference.

I have recently rotated back to my HD 600s for a while. The 600s seem richer and are more comfortable for long wearing than the 700s, although the 700s are noticeably more detailed. The 600s are easier listening. Perhaps I’m missing something about the 700s.

Hd700 is more accurate and less involving reproduction tool than 600 series. Its only on my current system i find it to have come alive with timberal richness and bigger soundstage.

I would would say its much more picky of system matching.

May 18, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #8,485 of 9,291
As for hd700 vs hd800, on casual AB comparison with my HD700, i cannot differentiate the two, except for soundstage cause of same house sound. Its only when I do critical listening I can make out any difference.
Yeah, the HD700 headphones I received must have been damaged, then. They weren't remotely close to the HD800 headphones I have now. I have a pretty good ear for picking things out in music, but I'm not one of the people who can hear any difference in things like swapping cables.

May 19, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #8,486 of 9,291
Yeah, the HD700 headphones I received must have been damaged, then. They weren't remotely close to the HD800 headphones I have now. I have a pretty good ear for picking things out in music, but I'm not one of the people who can hear any difference in things like swapping cables.
The HD800 and HD700 are quite different sounding to me but it also matters what amp you are using since they both respond a little differently on the same amp due the differences in impedance of these headphones. But I still think you probably had a defective HD700 because they do share some similarities to some of my friends who don't normally listen to these types of headphones. I'm like you that have never heard a difference with various headphone cables but I've heard differences in speaker cables and a few inter-connects but these where quite extreme comparisons like 18g speaker wire versus 8g for a 50ft length and free inter-connects that come with some low end audio gear versus $200 silver ones.

May 20, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #8,487 of 9,291
Finally got my desk side headphone listening rack setup properly, with my Little Dot Mk III all hooked up, and the 700's sound SOOO much better than on my iCan Pro, even when run in tube+ mode. No more sharp edges (to my ears), almost all smooth, but still very detailed, love it!!! Was thinking of selling them, but now, not so much.

May 20, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #8,488 of 9,291
Finally got my desk side headphone listening rack setup properly, with my Little Dot Mk III all hooked up, and the 700's sound SOOO much better than on my iCan Pro, even when run in tube+ mode. No more sharp edges (to my ears), almost all smooth, but still very detailed, love it!!! Was thinking of selling them, but now, not so much.

Wow ldmk3 better than ican pro. I have only tried ican se with my HD700. Its pretty meh amp for hd700. Nothing special. No brightness though. My dac take care of brightness issues with hd700. Fiio x5 classic and chord mojo.

May 21, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #8,489 of 9,291
Wow ldmk3 better than ican pro. I have only tried ican se with my HD700. Its pretty meh amp for hd700. Nothing special. No brightness though. My dac take care of brightness issues with hd700. Fiio x5 classic and chord mojo.
For the 700's it seems like a better match, with my favorite Mullard EF91/CV4014 tubes that have the blue glass, some might not like those because they are the most "tubey" sounding tubes I have, if you get my drift.
Not saying the Mk III is better, just better at making the 700's sound their best to me. The iCan Pro is a beast.

May 21, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #8,490 of 9,291
For the 700's it seems like a better match, with my favorite Mullard EF91/CV4014 tubes that have the blue glass, some might not like those because they are the most "tubey" sounding tubes I have, if you get my drift.
Not saying the Mk III is better, just better at making the 700's sound their best to me. The iCan Pro is a beast.

What dac are you using with ican pro?

I find using a warmer dac to be more effective for taming brightness of hd700. But warmer dac paired with tubes is too much for me. Thats why I have settled on a solid state amp for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back