Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #7,441 of 9,298
  It's a Pono, you're missing the cover. It's either without or in a custom transparent one.

I got one of the limited run clear ones.  I believe about 320 or so were made in total. 

Not like any Pono player I've seen as most have had dual 1/8" connectors and been a elongated triangle shaped. I stand corrected.

It has everything a normal PONO would have, the only difference is you can see the guts inside of it and get some idea of what Ayre did in designing it.  Otherwise, all other specs and behaviors are the same.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #7,442 of 9,298
I got one of the limited run clear ones.  I believe about 320 or so were made in total. 

It has everything a normal PONO would have, the only difference is you can see the guts inside of it and get some idea of what Ayre did in designing it.  Otherwise, all other specs and behaviors are the same.
Like I said stand corrected. New one on me.

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #7,443 of 9,298
OK, so I've successfully applied RS180 ear pads to HD700s.

I cut plastic rings (thin plastic, I used a DVD box as a source) that fit the cups - like the rings that are on the back of HD700 stock pads. Then I used 2-sided adhesive tape to attach RS180 ear pads to these rings. Then I applied 4 very small strips of 2-sided adhesive tape in each cup to additionally secure the rings in place. I put the rings with RS180 pads in - and done. They are a perfect fit and the sound is good.

Like I said earlier, I don't know how they compare to stock pads in terms of sound (because I got these headphones without ear pads), but the results are great, I love these headphones. The sound I hear is consistent with descriptions and reviews here (fun, energetic, lots of detail, tight bass, upper mids a bit favored, great soundstage), and for me these headphones are not fatiguing.

So if you don't feel like spending $100 on HD700 replacement pads from Sennheiser, try RS180 pads. They're only $10. And if you have old stock pads, you can harvest the original mounting ring from them and attach it to RS180 pads, then the whole operation becomes much easier.

I would post pictures, but can't yet.

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #7,444 of 9,298
OK, so I've successfully applied RS180 ear pads to HD700s.

I cut plastic rings (thin plastic, I used a DVD box as a source) that fit the cups - like the rings that are on the back of HD700 stock pads. Then I used 2-sided adhesive tape to attach RS180 ear pads to these rings. Then I applied 4 very small strips of 2-sided adhesive tape in each cup to additionally secure the rings in place. I put the rings with RS180 pads in - and done. They are a perfect fit and the sound is good.

Like I said earlier, I don't know how they compare to stock pads in terms of sound (because I got these headphones without ear pads), but the results are great, I love these headphones. The sound I hear is consistent with descriptions and reviews here (fun, energetic, lots of detail, tight bass, upper mids a bit favored, great soudstage), and for me these headphones are not fatiguing.

So if you don't feel like spending $100 on HD700 replacement pads from Sennheiser, try RS180 pads. They're only $10. And if you have used stock pads, you can harvest the original mounting ring from them and attach it to RS180 pads, then the whole operation becomes much easier.

I would post pictures, but can't yet.

You can do a link to photo bucket or some other photo sharing site.  I think you need 25 posts before you can post images.  I'd really like to see the pads you built.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #7,445 of 9,298
I'm not at 25 posts yet.

I did try to post a link to a pic a few days ago. That post was still stuck in moderation for days, so that did not work well either (it is unstuck now, but everybody has moved on).

So let's try this. Copy the text below, replace each "_" with "/" and "-" with "."

pokazywarka-pl_bpwgh8_

After changes, paste it in address bar and enter. You'll see the gallery of the whole process and the result HD700s with RS180 pads.

And once I'm past the 25 posts mark, I'll post a pic here too, so that everybody can see it without hassle.

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #7,447 of 9,298
 The sound I hear is consistent with descriptions and reviews here (fun, energetic, lots of detail, tight bass, upper mids a bit favored, great soundstage), and for me these headphones are not fatiguing.

I'm being a bit fickle here :) But the upper mids are much lower than most most headphones on the HD700, thats what gives them the warm middle and makes the treble seem highlighted for some. So, I'm thinking it could be the pads? If so then this could be a good thing depending on preference.   

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #7,448 of 9,298
There are lots of bad reviews of this headphone and I'm very confused. I don't know what to think.

Im looking to upgrade my K701 with a more full-bodied, bassier and punchier headphone, without loss detail and with some sparkle. I'm thinking in PS500 and also in HD700 and T1. Please, can you briefly describe the similarities and differences between HD700 and T1?

For what I have read it seems that the T1 is the closest sounding headphone to HD700, but I don't know wich is better.

Thanks!

The only thing I can say, this might not be what you want to hear is that what you find better. One headphone over the other in about the same class is different. Also it's not better it's what is better for you, remember you not me are going to listen to then and my preference might not be yours. The only thing is both headphones are great the question is what is grate for you. You can't go wrong with any of the two but in the end it is you who has to decide what you find best. Although the T1 is more expensive, you might also consider the hifiman he400i but just a though. Good luck, oh and I have the HD700 and love them.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #7,449 of 9,298
The only thing I can say, this might not be what you want to hear is that what you find better. One headphone over the other in about the same class is different. Also it's not better it's what is better for you, remember you not me are going to listen to then and my preference might not be yours. The only thing is both headphones are great the question is what is grate for you. You can't go wrong with any of the two but in the end it is you who has to decide what you find best. Although the T1 is more expensive, you might also consider the hifiman he400i but just a though. Good luck, oh and I have the HD700 and live them.

You do realize you just quoted a post from 6/03/2012...

beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #7,451 of 9,298
  I'm being a bit fickle here :) But the upper mids are much lower than most most headphones on the HD700, thats what gives them the warm middle and makes the treble seem highlighted for some. So, I'm thinking it could be the pads? If so then this could be a good thing depending on preference.   

What I'm hearing precisely is that vocals sound a bit clearer, higher, less warm than in, say, HD555s (and not veiled, as opposed to HD555s). Seems like there's more energy in the upper part of the vocal range. This could be due to treble peak. I know that a bass peak can do the opposite to vocals. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #7,452 of 9,298
I made a nice big initial impressions of my HD700s.  They can be as shrill and spiky as they're accused of being, they mate FANTASTICALLY with the PONO.   The longer I listen, the less things bother me about them (other than the cord length, give me 1.5m with PONO balanced setup and I'd say they're close-to-perfect for me).

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #7,453 of 9,298
Read your review just now, these are my next big headphone purchase... then I need the Koss ESP-950 electrostatic system then I have to exit this before I get in real trouble... 
rolleyes.gif

But I have the HD 600 already and love them, and am intrigued by the HD 700 both in their different sound signature described and the look, which I really dig.

Quote:
  I made a nice big initial impressions of my HD700s.  They can be as shrill and spiky as they're accused of being, they mate FANTASTICALLY with the PONO.   The longer I listen, the less things bother me about them (other than the cord length, give me 1.5m with PONO balanced setup and I'd say they're close-to-perfect for me).

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #7,455 of 9,298
I have both and the HD800 "is" better IMO, but that is not to slight the 700 in any way.
For me...the Decware CSP2+ is a perfect match to these two headphones.  I am
sensitive to harshness/shrillness (strange at my age) and I find that this amp does
wonders without losing detail.  Played with the rectifier tube a bit and find the bass
to be wonderful on both...with the HD700 having a bit more midbass.

Have tried many cans over the years and each has strengths and weaknesses.  I've
pretty much stopped buying (may regret those words) and am trying to get off the
"gotta have new gear" train.
Hibuck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back