Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #6,272 of 9,298
  I've been eying the Valhalla 2 at my local store: it's one of the few tube amps available there which is a bit lower priced. A Vali 2 is also there. Before I go ahead and give it a try (which might be hard as I've got a crapload of work to do), any impressions on them with the HD700?

I have the Valhalla 2 and Bifrost driving my HD700's and absolutely love the setup!  So far I'm happy with the stock tubes as well.

May 5, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #6,274 of 9,298
I've been with HD700 for a few months now and coming from HD650 and LCD X, I must say this phone is everything I want except for some of trebles glares on a certain music.

I have tried many combinations of different cables, and mods and it yields some interesting outcome.

Try swapping ear foam padding between HD650 and HD700 you'll be surprise how HD700 will sound !

May 5, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #6,275 of 9,298
  I still haven't had any of the treble spikes that so many people talk about.  I hate harsh treble but so far the HD700 has sounded flawless in that department.

I am in agreement with this post, with respect to treble issues, but so far I've been listening to mostly favorites, which are largely well recorded and sound decent on most systems.  I have continued my listening with the HD700, and it only seems to get better.  I'm only occasionally breaking out the K712's for comparison at this point, as I am preferring the HD700s most of the time now.  Generally I am preferring the treble on the HD700 over the K712 on marginal recordings.  On poor recordings, the K712 seems to be less punishing.

One example is Adele 25 - I got this CD not long after getting the K712's a number of months ago.  On listing to it initially on the K712's, I was not impressed with the way it was recorded, and had not spent much time with the CD since - relegated to car listening, etc..  My point of reference on something like this is well recorded Norah Jones album/CD.  However, I broke this CD out on the HD700 last night and was really enjoying it.  Treble was less bothersome, and the overall mix seemed more coherent than I remember on the K712.  This second point was curious as the HD700 definitely seem to be more analytical than the K712's, so I would have thought that the music would have sounded even more disjointed (processed?).  I did not try the K712 again for comparison yet - I will get back to that at some point.

Another thing I ran into last night was on a recording of solo violin - Isabelle Faust, Bach Partitas and Sonatas, Harmonia Mundi CD.  With the HD700's, I kept hearing a slight resonance or tone when a specific note was played on the violin (the tone was like a repeat of the same note, almost like an echo).  At first I thought this was something to do with the HD700, so I switched headphones to the 712's, and the note/resonance/echo was still there, but much less pronounced.  Not sure if this is a flaw in the recording, a natural byproduct of the instrument (a Stradivarius), or something else??  Would not have noticed it on the 712's, but it was pronounced enough on the HD700's that I started listening for it elsewhere in the recording and it kept happening.

Last unusual observation was listening to the Netherlands Blazers Ensemble, Mozart Gran Partita.  This is a great performance/recording BTW.  In listening to the instrument placement/imaging, I noticed that the bassoon sounded like it was located vertically higher than the oboe and clarinet sitting nearby.  I have been around live music quite a bit, but not right next to the instruments necessarily.  Does the primary volume from a bassoon come from the upper end of the instrument, like sound coming out of the bell of a trumpet?  Seems a silly question, but just trying to get a correct mental picture in my mind of what I was hearing, and this would explain it.  The other explanation for the vertical difference would be from the bassoon being placed one or two rows back and up, but that is not typical from what I understand (winds/reeds are usually close to each other?).  All of this is to say that the precision of imaging on the HD700 has been really good so far, having fun with it.

May 5, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #6,276 of 9,298
  Having a last drink before going to sleep, GF wanted a cute drink so this is what I came up with to go with the HD-700:

Like a HD-700, has nice lows and sweet tart topend

Nice idea DavidA. Haven't been shooting much since school has kept me busy. Now that I'm done (near done as I only have one class left), I'll have to blow the dust off camera and lens as start shooting again. 

Anyway nice image.

May 8, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #6,277 of 9,298
Lately my chain has undergone drastic changes, I recently added a new Amp, Cans, & Usb SPDIF converter. 
The Amp the venerable ampsandsound SE84 (no longer in the standard offering, Replaced by Mogwai)I was lucky enough to get Justins personal amp
and it has brought me to new levels of enjoyment with my music. The EL84 has long been held a MUSICAL tube and the SE84 does not let down
Superbly MUSICAL while retaining a great bit of detail and clarity. Nice sparkle on top with ZERO harsh edge (I play only ddigital files)
Next was the much maligned Sennheiser HD700 headphones and I must say I am at a loss understanding the Love Hate responses to these cans
I can only attribute my experience with these cans to its pairing with the SE84, I can tell you I have nothing but praise for this
set of cans, so much so I sold all my others (HE500, HE560,  HD650, HD800) The 700 is now my sole pair of cans. They offer an amazing sound 
signature IMHO, they play nicely with every genre. Offering stunning IMPACT with tight articulate bass, slightly forward mids with wonderful tone.
Just the perfect amount of sparkle with out any harshness
Last Enter the Gustard U12 converter, getting rid of all the noise from the pc usb, and allowing me to run 24 / 96 into the MHDT Havana's SPDIF
input.Actually offered up a bit more detail
I honestly feel like my listening has reached new heights of enjoyment. Being supremely Musical while retaining clarity, detail, superb bass. 
I took the liberty of jotting down some notes while listening to some different music over the last few hours. These are not barely audible nuances
but in your face Holy Schiit, where did that come frome details
It becomes pretty clear where the Heaadphone CRAZE comes from when you attain these type results

Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet, Wanted Dead or Alive Piano on stage left
Cat Stevens, Tea for the Tillerman, Where do the Children Play.  Much cleaner, Hear the pic on the strings
Backup singers more present
Chris Isaak, Heart Shaped World, Wicked Game, Cymbals much more presence, easily follow count
Sometimes God Smiles, Bill Bruford. Prism long time reference for impact, picking up some chatter behind him as well as some odd 
almost want to call it distortion but I would almost swear there is someone playing a largish hand drum
Allegro Con Brio, Symphony No. 5 same album, Bass is slamming
Allegretto, Dont know how to explain it, Simply amazing strings
Chesky Records Demo 2, Rebecca Pigeon, Spanish Harlem. Her Vocals reverberate / echo
Overall Much More ambient noise echo from the stage / studio
Mids have a more lush presentation while remaining very detailed
soundstage is noticebly wider, more depth
The persuasions Angel of Harlem, can hear vocals depth changing lead singer is obviously moving around as he sings
Bob Seger Nine Tonight, way more of the live venue ambient noise, crowd interaction
Neil Young Live at Massey Hall, Applause sounds more like actual hands clapping, Picking up more of the venue ambiance
Kind of easy to pick out solo audience member claps

May 8, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #6,278 of 9,298
Great post Joe! I'm hearing the 700's, just like you.
:beerchug:
Lately my chain has undergone drastic changes, I recently added a new Amp, Cans, & Usb SPDIF converter. 
The Amp the venerable ampsandsound SE84 (no longer in the standard offering, Replaced by Mogwai)I was lucky enough to get Justins personal amp

and it has brought me to new levels of enjoyment with my music. The EL84 has long been held a MUSICAL tube and the SE84 does not let down

Superbly MUSICAL while retaining a great bit of detail and clarity. Nice sparkle on top with ZERO harsh edge (I play only ddigital files)
Next was the much maligned Sennheiser HD700 headphones and I must say I am at a loss understanding the Love Hate responses to these cans

I can only attribute my experience with these cans to its pairing with the SE84, I can tell you I have nothing but praise for this

set of cans, so much so I sold all my others (HE500, HE560,  HD650, HD800) The 700 is now my sole pair of cans. They offer an amazing sound 

signature IMHO, they play nicely with every genre. Offering stunning IMPACT with tight articulate bass, slightly forward mids with wonderful tone.

Just the perfect amount of sparkle with out any harshness
Last Enter the Gustard U12 converter, getting rid of all the noise from the pc usb, and allowing me to run 24 / 96 into the MHDT Havana's SPDIF

input.Actually offered up a bit more detail
I honestly feel like my listening has reached new heights of enjoyment. Being supremely Musical while retaining clarity, detail, superb bass. 

I took the liberty of jotting down some notes while listening to some different music over the last few hours. These are not barely audible nuances

but in your face Holy Schiit, where did that come frome details
It becomes pretty clear where the Heaadphone CRAZE comes from when you attain these type results

Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet, Wanted Dead or Alive Piano on stage left
Cat Stevens, Tea for the Tillerman, Where do the Children Play.  Much cleaner, Hear the pic on the strings

Backup singers more present
Chris Isaak, Heart Shaped World, Wicked Game, Cymbals much more presence, easily follow count
Sometimes God Smiles, Bill Bruford. Prism long time reference for impact, picking up some chatter behind him as well as some odd 

almost want to call it distortion but I would almost swear there is someone playing a largish hand drum
Allegro Con Brio, Symphony No. 5 same album, Bass is slamming
Allegretto, Dont know how to explain it, Simply amazing strings
Chesky Records Demo 2, Rebecca Pigeon, Spanish Harlem. Her Vocals reverberate / echo
Overall Much More ambient noise echo from the stage / studio
Mids have a more lush presentation while remaining very detailed
soundstage is noticebly wider, more depth
The persuasions Angel of Harlem, can hear vocals depth changing lead singer is obviously moving around as he sings
Bob Seger Nine Tonight, way more of the live venue ambient noise, crowd interaction
Neil Young Live at Massey Hall, Applause sounds more like actual hands clapping, Picking up more of the venue ambiance

Kind of easy to pick out solo audience member claps

May 9, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #6,279 of 9,298
Say you dont think HD700 can do sub bass ?  try this track out,  My Morning Jacket, Evil Urges,  Highly Suspicious 
basshead.gif

May 10, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #6,280 of 9,298
  Say you dont think HD700 can do sub bass ?  try this track out,  My Morning Jacket, Evil Urges,  Highly Suspicious 
basshead.gif

Nice one! I usually grab for Massive Attacks ''Angel'' first to check the sub bass
L3000.gif

If HD700 couldn't do sub bass then I probably would have sold it in a heartbeat...
But, it's here to stay!

May 10, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #6,281 of 9,298
"Man Next Door" is an even better track off of Mezzanine for checking sub-bass (though Angel is a great pick as well).

HD 700's can definitely do sub-bass.  Are there headphones that can do it better?  Yes, of course (LCD-X for example), but I've never felt like the low end was lacking too much on my HD 700's.

May 10, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #6,282 of 9,298
  "Man Next Door" is an even better track off of Mezzanine for checking sub-bass (though Angel is a great pick as well).

HD 700's can definitely do sub-bass.  Are there headphones that can do it better?  Yes, of course (LCD-X for example), but I've never felt like the low end was lacking too much on my HD 700's.

HD700 also has enough low end to my taste, but I had the LCD-2 (pre fazor) and that one produced the best (sub)bass I've heard so far...

I really liked the signature of it, but sold it because of its weight and jawcrushing force
(From memory) HD700 has more clarity, better details and treble + it's way more comfortable of course
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #6,283 of 9,298
While I liked getting to borrow the LCD2 for a couple weeks, I felt the HD700 was too close to it to ever need both, especially seeing that I had the HE400 at the time.   I think if I were to get an Audeze anytime soon, it'd be the Sine.

May 10, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #6,284 of 9,298
I finally listened to something where the treble did get a touch harsh at times but I think it was more do to the recoding than the headphone. It was just one track in a DJ mix I was listening to which was a flac file. It was from 1998 and the recoding wasn't the best and that's what I think caused the harsh treble more than anything.

Right now I'm listening to Satoshi Tomiie's NuBreed album and it sounds great with no harsh treble spikes at all. It's only a 320kbs mp3 and it sounds very good from the HD700, its a lot like the HD600\650 in that regard as it's pretty forgiving as long as the recoding is decent. On some albums I can't even hear a big difference between 320 mp3 and flac but on others its quite noticeable. This is probably the most well rounded headphone or IEM for that matter that I've listened to. I haven't found a style of music it can't do well. It has the perfect sound signature being warm yet analytical at the same time with a very well rounded presentation, I just can't find any real issue with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back